Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Question Mouse look and movement mobility issues

Hey Everyone,
I recently decided to delve into P99 after coming across a stream on twitch. I was amazed at how it felt compared to my experience back in 2000 when I first tried the game. Back in 2000 and on through PoP I played the game in 1st person view almost exclusively; now that I am back I have become accustomed to 3rd person. I have found the camera control in 3rd person is a bit clunky (I admit I am used to 3rd person camera control from WoW). Does anyone have a great way to configure this? My biggest issue is turning; my character will turn VERY slow using the mouse even with sensitivity on maximum while the movement up and down is almost dizzying with sensitivity maxed.

Also, does anyone know of a good method to move the camera around my character without actively moving my character in order to look at my surroundings?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Large Bat

You probably have a very high framerate, and that's why the mouse is so slow to turn horizontally. Mine is capped at 60 in the settings menu and it turns well enough. Turns better at 30 but I can't stand 30 fps.

As for looking around, press F9 to check out the other camera modes. You can spin around in those modes, but they are pretty awkward to actually play in.

Also, another thing to note. The game does not scale the field of view horizontally. Meaning that since the game was designed for 4:3 resolutions, if you're using 16:9 like 1080p or 1440p, the game will feel super zoomed in, especially in first person.

The solution to this is the /viewport command if you're good with that. I have a 2560x1440 screen, and I have 2 hotkeys made up. One is "/viewport 0 0 2560 1440" which is the default viewport. Could probably use /viewport reset just as well. The other is "/viewport 300 0 1920 1440". That one makes the game screen thinner, adding black bars to the sides. There is no loss in what I can see on the left and right sides of the screen but I can see more vertically and things just look better. The black bars are a bit of an eyesore though. Maybe do something with your interface is make use of it?