Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Green Server should revisit it's naming Policy?
Yes! It is supposed to be a fresh start! 93 54.07%
No thanks, i'll take the naming leftovers from Blue's 1,000,000 toons. 79 45.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A "purge" would fall into the realm of classicness since it happened sometime early live era. I gave my opinion on the matter and I would like to see it happen prior to Green release. Something along the lines of all inactive level 1's (5+ years) are purged or have a letter or letters added to the end of their names so it frees the name up.
Forget green, this would be a big win for Blue. The funny thing would be the character name gold rush that would immediately follow. Would it not be relatively straightforward to compute the platinum value of an account by cross referencing with the wiki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker_Mayhem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or to simply add an x upon merging to blue?
I think Detoxx already created Detoxxx and such. You might end up with Detoxxxxxxxxxx.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Detoxx already created Detoxxx and such. You might end up with Detoxxxxxxxxxx.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I know you're not being serious, but I think the idea is that if a player ignores character X for however long and it gets renamed, but then for some odd reason they actually wanted to play it and not use it as a bank character, presumably they could petition to get it changed to a non-"xxxxx" name.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Orc

sorry, but i have to vote against this one for 2 reasons.

Say there is a high profile player on blue and someone takes his name on green just to be a troll and/or create drama for that player. Sorry... freeing up surnames would only add fuel to a troll fire in this respect.

This community happens to be very small. Very, very, small. So its not like wow with hundreds of thousands of players. The potential for creating confusion by unlocking all the names would basically allow one person, who already is an active player, to take a handle from another already active player. Again, just makes no sense.

RIP this thread.
Devs lead the way.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Orc

Everyone would still have their character names locked. The only names that would be freed up in the purge are the thousands of lvl 1 characters that haven't even moved from the original spawn point and were created merely to reserve the name.

Any active character on blue should be able to reserve their name on green, this makes complete sense to avoid troll identy theft... However, forcing everyone to use what's leftover after 10 years is pretty lame, considering how many lvl 1 characters are out there just rotting away with good names.

Purge the lvl ones that have no Plat or items, it just makes sense
Old 09-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf_cleric420 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone would still have their character names locked. The only names that would be freed up in the purge are the thousands of lvl 1 characters that haven't even moved from the original spawn point and were created merely to reserve the name.

Any active character on blue should be able to reserve their name on green, this makes complete sense to avoid troll identy theft... However, forcing everyone to use what's leftover after 10 years is pretty lame, considering how many lvl 1 characters are out there just rotting away with good names.

Purge the lvl ones that have no Plat or items, it just makes sense
I hear you. Its not a terrible idea. But its not a realistic idea either. Heres why: how are the devs going to identify which names are locked to an inactive account? There is no way to tell. Example, what if theres an active player with dormant accounts he does not use? How would the devs be able to determine this? Not without a lot of extra research. And unfortunately, they probably don't have that kind of time.

What they needed to do was come up with a one-size fits all naming policy, for legacy accounts and future accounts. And I think they did the best they could.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Orc

I'm sure the devs can run a script to look at total playing time, then delete and characters with less than five minutes played, this wipes all characters made for "names sake" and spares any mules etc, no one can complain about losing five minutes.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Fire Giant

Right and the devs should be able to cross reference IPs if there are multiple EQemu accounts. Technically speaking, all of our sub login server accounts are supposed to be handled under the same EQemu account. I’m sure they can run a query though of characters and cross reference play time, creation date, IP, last log in date and inventory in the event that it is a mule.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Fire Giant

It doesn't even need to delete the characters, when EQLive does it it just adds an X to the ends of those names and should that player want to play that character they can petition for a quick rename.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People might have muled an important item on a level 1 character.
That would be a pretty stupid thing to do considering this is a classic server and inactive level 1 purges are classic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think they should save names for any lvl 60 on blue. Those lvl 60 names can be re-created on green from the same account.

Wipe the rest.

This simultaneously eliminates banked names on ghost accounts AS WELL AS allow well known and established blue p99 players the ability to keep their identity, and names, of their main characters.

Just my 2cp
^
Closed Thread