Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 12:32 PM
Sarnak

Default Twink?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

twink twink
noun

Slang
A young, attractive, usually slender or physically fit gay male.

Origin of twink
Short for twinkie gay male perhaps after Twinkie trademark for a small oblong sponge cake with a creamy filling

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

always wondered how it all started to call over geared everquest alts "twinks"
Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Twink (in the gaming sense), goes way back, before even MMOGs. I found this on another forum and I think it might be right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/899861-Origin-of-Twink
'Twink' began use in things like D&D. Essentially snobby, usually young male players who wanted to make overpowered characters and didn't care about the actual roleplaying aspects of the game in question. At the time 'twink' was a much more common derogatory term. In the long run you were in fact calling them 'gay' in a derogatory way. Slightly more acceptable because even the gay community thought of it as mostly an insult.

Ultimately you can trace that back to the origin of that, which is the ever popular twinkie. Draw what conclusions you will about why a young blonde pretty boy would draw comparison to twinkies. That would be a little blue for these forums.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Further etymology (I love the Internet):

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.etymonline.com/word/twink
c. 1400, in phrase in a twynk of oon eye "suddenly, almost instantaneously," from twink (v.) "to wink," probably from Old English twincan (see twinkle (v.)). Meaning "a twinkle" is from 1830. Meaning "young sexually attractive person" is recorded from 1963, probably from Twinkie; but compare 1920s-30s British homosexual slang twank in a similar sense.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

And then of course Wikipedia has a say too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinking
Etymology
There are several possible etymologies for the word. It may not have been derived from a single source, instead evolving from multiple convergent usages. Its exact origin is unclear.

The gay-slang usage of "twink" has been suggested as a likely origin.[1] One of the connotations of this usage is "a young/inexperienced person who can outfit himself fashionably because of financial benefits from an older/experienced sugar daddy." This parallels MMORPGs, where in-game money is a strong limiting factor in the virtual economy and gear is usually in the form of clothing and jewelry.

The word "twink" appeared in the Ultima Online: Renaissance playguide in the glossary of terms (copyrighted in 2000). It was asserted to have a meaning similar to its current one, but also included powerlevelling.

On the MUD Sojourn, which several creators of EverQuest played, "twink" was alternately used to refer to powerleveling and metagaming. As MUDs date to 1978, this use of the term may possibly predate later uses.

The term twink and twinking predated MMOs and was prevalent in many MUDs. The term came from flags on much of the high end gear that cause gear to be displayed as (twinkling) <gear name>. It was not an alternate name for powerleveling, but could be used as a method of powerleveling.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Thought this was amusing so I made a page in our wiki for it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] http://wiki.project1999.com/Twink

Old 06-29-2019, 01:00 PM
Sarnak

Was twink used in UO? I love that Everquest is basically a 3d MUD. MMO devs need to return to the basics.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was twink used in UO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The word "twink" appeared in the Ultima Online: Renaissance playguide in the glossary of terms (copyrighted in 2000). It was asserted to have a meaning similar to its current one, but also included powerlevelling.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

I thought it came from 'twinkle' because of their sparkly shiny expensive equipment!
Old 06-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

People that don't know this probably don't even know how to spawn pyzjn.

Casuals.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 06-29-2019, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

I am pretty accepting of twinks. Bears, not so much cause shaman is OP