Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Fire Giant

Default Ranger Twink Question

I’m considering starting a ranger for something new to do since my Monk is 58 and the grind had really set in. I have a 60 enchanter and 50 Pally plus the Monk. The enchanter was leveled first followed by Monk then Pally.

I’ve read in the other thread about most fun class to twink for many it was a ranger. My question for those that have rolled rangers did you find the spell set of rangers or is it going to be like the Monk and Pally where you hit auto attack on a dark blue until level 50? I know that’s a big part of EQ but I enjoy twinking Melee since they scale so much better with gear. Overall budget would be about 180k. Fungi and Seahorse Belt have already been purchased.

Also, I Used a 2 hander the whole time on Monk and Pally and really was looking forward to dual wielding on the Ranger but I’ve also read that Woodsman staff is going to outperform pretty much everything until about 50? Could have been just level 30 to 50 can’t remember exactly.

How much worse dps would I see if I used a Swiftblade of Zek and possibly EoN in offhand (know it’s not that great but fashionquesy and open to suggestions on offhand)? I guess I would just have a hard time dropping 65k on weapons when a 4K staff would be better.

I usually don’t have more than an hour or two to play so having some solo ability is nice which has kept me away from making a rogue since they are so group dependent.

Thanks in advance for the feedback/advice.

Barlu
Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m considering starting a ranger for something new to do since my Monk is 58 and the grind had really set in. I have a 60 enchanter and 50 Pally plus the Monk. The enchanter was leveled first followed by Monk then Pally.

I’ve read in the other thread about most fun class to twink for many it was a ranger. My question for those that have rolled rangers did you find the spell set of rangers or is it going to be like the Monk and Pally where you hit auto attack on a dark blue until level 50? I know that’s a big part of EQ but I enjoy twinking Melee since they scale so much better with gear. Overall budget would be about 180k. Fungi and Seahorse Belt have already been purchased.

Also, I Used a 2 hander the whole time on Monk and Pally and really was looking forward to dual wielding on the Ranger but I’ve also read that Woodsman staff is going to outperform pretty much everything until about 50? Could have been just level 30 to 50 can’t remember exactly.

How much worse dps would I see if I used a Swiftblade of Zek and possibly EoN in offhand (know it’s not that great but fashionquesy and open to suggestions on offhand)? I guess I would just have a hard time dropping 65k on weapons when a 4K staff would be better.

I usually don’t have more than an hour or two to play so having some solo ability is nice which has kept me away from making a rogue since they are so group dependent.

Thanks in advance for the feedback/advice.

Barlu
Ranger twink will feel very underwhelming compared to a monk. You'll get hit a lot more, no FD, and won't have access to easy 40% spell haste until you get sky cloak after lots of raiding. You'll do great until 50, where mobs will just start wrecking you.

Read the most fun twink thread I started a few weeks ago, better off making a gnome warrior if you go melee. 50+ solo for you will basically be fear kiting animals which gets old after awhile. You really need to stack AC, like full SS/Kael plus solid other slots to even stand a chance. I twinked my ranger with about 150K worth of gear, and still got bored at 52 from a solo perspective since mobs just hit so hard combined with the xp grind.

IMO if you only have 1-2 hours at a time to play, twink a necro. Pre Nerf CoS, Zlandi Heart, etc. You'll be way more powerful. Unless you absolutely need to play a melee. Tough to play anything else after an enchanter 50+ if you aren't grouping a lot, but necro is prob the 2nd closest leveling comparison. Another cool option would be mage with thurg/ss robe clicky which is OP, but will be much more limited after 50 from a solo perspective.
Last edited by Crede; 08-25-2019 at 03:59 PM..
Old 08-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

You in a bigger guild? Could get hammer of battle off statue! https://wiki.project1999.com/Hammer_of_Battle
Old 08-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for the feedback and that is what I was afraid of with the Ranger having played a monk. I definitely lost interest in the Pally at 50 once I realized how gimped they were.

I’m not in a big guild so that hammer is out although it’s really cool.

Crede, I re read the thread and am going to give the gnome warrior a shot. Clickes are fun and I’ve never done a twink in Gray/CB.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger power doesn't scale well between 45 and 59. My favorite class to play but it's much better with a group of friends when you're leveling. Soloing is tedious at best.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the feedback and that is what I was afraid of with the Ranger having played a monk. I definitely lost interest in the Pally at 50 once I realized how gimped they were.

I’m not in a big guild so that hammer is out although it’s really cool.

Crede, I re read the thread and am going to give the gnome warrior a shot. Clickes are fun and I’ve never done a twink in Gray/CB.
Good call. Fungi kinda matches the dwarves cultural which is cool. I went with str/dex/haste clickies. Didn’t use the rest.

I went for a dex build, enjoy those big cripps! Get a embalmers skinning life too.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

In defense of rangers, I posted a thread awhile back and they were voted the most fun class at 60. It’s one of those classes that needs a shitload of gear, clickies, etc and level 60 to really shine. It’s just whether or not you want to wait to get to that point or not. If you’re just after a melee twink solo grind build, then war/monk all day
Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

There’s nothing special about ranger at 60. 56 is a game changer though!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There’s nothing special about ranger at 60. 56 is a game changer though!
Well, I mean, grabbing aggro on a raid mob right after pressing your Weaponshield macro hotbutton/key turns out a little differently at 60 than earlier levels, but yeah.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 08-27-2019, 02:40 AM
Planar Protector

Same outcome, depending on the ranger lol.

Tbh the game ends at 46 when you can use your sky cloak with your epic haste.
Last edited by Cecily; 08-27-2019 at 02:44 AM..
Closed Thread