Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

almost needless to say, tunare's request does not work
Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think perhaps people might think the spell is broken because they don't understand it (and that's in part because it's not a very good spell). It lets you have a very long duration pet, but in exchange it only works on mobs that are very low level (< 36).

If yo don't understand that and try to use it on any pet that would normally be a sane pet choice for your level, it won't work, and maybe that's where the confusion comes from?
I believe this is true because a lot of people will want to use this spell on the Bears in the Bear Pits in Permafrost. These Bears are level 43-47 and the spell is only good to charm up level 35. The Bears will get charmed but will break more often and not last 2 hours as listed.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

tunare's request does not last two hours, as anyone who has ever used tunare's request will know.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tunare's request does not last two hours, as anyone who has ever used tunare's request will know.
Wiki needs to be updated...

Duration: 2 hours 45 minutes @L55 to 3 hours 15 minutes @L65

http://wiki.project1999.com/Tunare%27s_Request
Old 09-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing is, it's a charm spell, so just as with any charm spell the NPC gets a chance to break it before the duration is up. That makes it difficult to tell ... and of course I doubt people on live tried using the spell a hundred times in a row and reported the stats, so we don't know for sure what the classic break rate was.

At the same time though, we pretty much do know it doesn't play by the same rules as other charm spells, because if it had an identical charm break chance (which almost certainly includes at least a 5% flat break chance, because EQ always wants you to have a failure chance) then no one on live would ever know the spell could last three hours: they'd always see it break long before that point (typically by 20 & 6 seconds = about 2 minutes after).

I tried a quick experiment just now: I had my 60 Druid do a few trial runs on the closest mob he could find (a kodiak bear in WC, level 15 per the wiki). Tunare's Request lasted 1:20, 2:06, 14:21, and 6:09. What I think is interesting is that those numbers suggest (we'd need a lot more data points to know for sure) that the time between checks isn't a fixed 6 seconds, but that it grows. That would be a perfectly natural way for the spell to work given it's duration. Maybe it was rare that the spell lasted 3 hours on live, but not so rare that no one ever saw it happen, and P99 is correctly having that same chance.

It seems likely that this spell is bugged, because if my basic test results are representative you'd need way too many attempts to ever see a 3 hour duration. BUT, it's dangerous to make assumptions with bad/limited data: maybe the spell does increase the duration between checks, so once you make a few you're clear for awhile, and if we do some more experimentation here we will see it reach 3 hours.

Or maybe it's too low. I'm leaning toward the latter, but really I think we should all do some experimenting to get more data ... and then we should all reply to https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=274822 until the devs get sick of us [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-16-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Old 09-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

You want to talk about spells that don't work? Lets talk about the level 56 Engorging Roots that practically breaks every 10 seconds...
Old 09-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing is, it's a charm spell, so just as with any charm spell the NPC gets a chance to break it before the duration is up. That makes it difficult to tell ... and of course I doubt people on live tried using the spell a hundred times in a row and reported the stats, so we don't know for sure what the classic break rate was.

At the same time though, we pretty much do know it doesn't play by the same rules as other charm spells, because if it had an identical charm break chance (which almost certainly includes at least a 5% flat break chance, because EQ always wants you to have a failure chance) then no one on live would ever know the spell could last three hours: they'd always see it break long before that point (typically by 20 & 6 seconds = about 2 minutes after).

I tried a quick experiment just now: I had my 60 Druid do a few trial runs on the closest mob he could find (a kodiak bear in WC, level 15 per the wiki). Tunare's Request lasted 1:20, 2:06, 14:21, and 6:09. What I think is interesting is that those numbers suggest (we'd need a lot more data points to know for sure) that the time between checks isn't a fixed 6 seconds, but that it grows. That would be a perfectly natural way for the spell to work given it's duration. Maybe it was rare that the spell lasted 3 hours on live, but not so rare that no one ever saw it happen, and P99 is correctly having that same chance.

It seems likely that this spell is bugged, because if my basic test results are representative you'd need way too many attempts to ever see a 3 hour duration. BUT, it's dangerous to make assumptions with bad/limited data: maybe the spell does increase the duration between checks, so once you make a few you're clear for awhile, and if we do some more experimentation here we will see it reach 3 hours.

Or maybe it's too low. I'm leaning toward the latter, but really I think we should all do some experimenting to get more data ... and then we should all reply to https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=274822 until the devs get sick of us [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
jjesus christ
Old 09-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want to talk about spells that don't work? Lets talk about the level 56 Engorging Roots that practically breaks every 10 seconds...
Oh no, really? Okay, so what spells do I get 55+ that I should actually be excited about? LOL

edit: considering that my hopes and dreams of having a cool bear pet and/or a long duration charm pet have been dashed.

Also, I need to get motivated to get through 54. I'm only at 15% so far [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Last edited by honeybee12874; 09-16-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee12874 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh no, really? Okay, so what spells do I get 55+ that I should actually be excited about? LOL

edit: considering that my hopes and dreams of having a cool bear pet and/or a long duration charm pet have been dashed.

Also, I need to get motivated to get through 54. I'm only at 15% so far [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Succor was a game changer, natureskin is noice. But the real Funyuns are wildfire and potg which I have yet to attainnnnn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:04 AM
Fire Giant

In a Druids world, it goes like this...

Level 1-28: You're a Druid... So what?
Level 29-59: Port me here... Port me there!
Level 60: POTG! No, I don't need you for anything else, just POTG!
Closed Thread