Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Aviak

Default Camping Laws

So I was soloing right by docks at Oasis for atleast 2 hours with no problems. Then out of nowhere a full group just walks right up and starts killing all the mobs, including ones I had already tagged. I told them to leave and they said that this wasn't a camp and that they could do whatever they wanted, so I just kept leveling anyway. But I just wanted to know, even if I am soloing at that spot was I in the right or can they just swoop in and claim the spot? If something like this happens can I report the group?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Large Rat

That falls under the "Don't be an asshole" rule. they broke it but otherwise did nothing wrong.
please don't waste GM time with this.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

An outdoor zone like that you can't just claim a swath of area and force people out. For just normal non-named mobs whoever tags a mob first it's theirs. Stealing agro on a mob you've already tagged first and then killing it isn't allowed.

Course it all depends on the guide/GM who deals with any report so your mileage may vary
Last edited by Caiu; 04-20-2017 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: more
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novoselic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I was soloing right by docks at Oasis for atleast 2 hours with no problems. Then out of nowhere a full group just walks right up and starts killing all the mobs, including ones I had already tagged. I told them to leave and they said that this wasn't a camp and that they could do whatever they wanted, so I just kept leveling anyway. But I just wanted to know, even if I am soloing at that spot was I in the right or can they just swoop in and claim the spot? If something like this happens can I report the group?
People/groups can form up anywhere in Oasis there really isn't a "camp" per se, because the crocs path back and forth.

It's considered rude though to basically plop on top of other players who are XPing particularly if someone has established and been pulling to a specific spot for some time.

That being said, yes they can form up anywhere they want in Oasis, and pull any and all crocs.

The other issue is, if you "tag" it, then they cannot touch it. If they take a mob you pulled first, then they are KSing your mob and you have every right to petition a guide and let them know.

In the past, I wouldn't suggest doing this, but now how some of the disputes are handled it might be better to throw a petition in as soon as you begin having a dispute over mobs.

That or leave the area and find a new spot to XP, that will save you from the furstration of disputing over mobs and also remove the need to involve a guide.

To elaborate why you might consider petitioning; if you do not make a petition voicing your side of a dispute, often times the other player in the dispute petitions and gets their side of the story told and you get a nice 7 day suspension if you happened to KS one of their mobs.

It won't matter if they KS'd 10 of your mobs or moved on a camp you had established for hours, all it takes is for them to petition your one KS and that can be your suspension handed to you on a silver platter.

No real investigation will be done, you simply will be suspended, end of story.

Conveniently, I mean coincidentally, the guide also will have been there to have witnessed your atrocious behavior of KSing the petitioner's mob too.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Course it all depends on the guide/GM who deals with any report so your mileage may vary
This first. There isn't a lot of official "camping law" on P99, just some on pages like: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=132299. For everything else there are unofficial laws that have been passed down from player to player like a game of telephone, based on their experience with a GM that one time in that one zone. To learn those laws you basically have to treat them like case law, and research the forums to find out how past judges (GMs) interpreted things.

But all that being said, certain bits of the "implied law" have been passed around in these forums enough that most forum readers are familiar with them at this point. Two of those bits are as follows:
For most outdoor zones (see above for learning the exceptions) the default is "first to engage". This means that whoever "engages" the mob first (ie. gains agro from it first) has the rights to that mob until they die or leave the zone. If someone takes a mob you've engaged (more than just once; shit happens so talk to people before petitioning) you can petition and, in my experience at least, the GMs will let whoever took your mob know they're in trouble.
In dungeons or sometimes in outdoor zones (again, see above) you can "camp" as many mobs as you want. However, if someone else comes along when you're camping mobs A & B, and that someone wants you to share, you have to pick either mob A or mob B and let them have the other.
So essentially you can camp a single mob/spawn point, and beyond that it all boils down to who agroed the mob first. But there are plenty of exceptions to what I just said, which I'll leave for the "young lawyers" to explain.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It won't matter if they KS'd 10 of your mobs or moved on a camp you had established for hours, all it takes is for them to petition your one KS and that can be your suspension handed to you on a silver platter.
Lhancelot's excellent post reminded me of a third bit:
Keep your nose clean: even if someone else is breaking the rules and taking mobs you've engaged, DO NOT fight fire with fire and try and take some back. The GMs have lots of petitions to answer, so they're not going to spend all day researching what happened: if they see you break the rules you'll be the one to get in trouble, no matter how many rules someone else was breaking before the GM arrived.
It may be frustrating to sit by while someone else breaks the rules and the GMs don't respond (again, they have lots of petitions to answer), but you'll be a lot more frustrated if you let someone goad you in to bad behavior and then get in trouble yourself.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-20-2017 at 07:16 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep your nose clean: even if someone else is breaking the rules and taking mobs you've engaged, DO NOT fight fire with fire and try and take some back. The GMs have lots of petitions to answer, so they're not going to spend all day researching what happened: if they see you break the rules you'll be the one to get in trouble, no matter how many rules someone else was breaking before the GM arrived.
It may be frustrating to sit by while someone else breaks the rules and the GMs don't respond (again, they have lots of petitions to answer), but you'll be a lot more frustrated if you let someone goad you in to bad behavior and then get in trouble yourself.
100% truth here. That's why I say, either just leave the area quickly before you get annoyed and angry, or stick a petition in asap. Do not KS them, even if they KS'd you.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Kobold

They should have invited you to group. but i think in oasis its the needs of the many kind of thing. what has always annoyed me about leveling in oasis and I also have done it, is necros kiting the large crocks thru groups on the shore.

https://www.twitch.tv/p99_dude

F@$k it, Dude, let's go bowling
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

Red99 u could kill em..
Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Aviak

yeah i figured as much, i only killed a few mobs and left once i dinged but its good to know in the future what to do because i'll probably most likely end up in this scenario again.

and to the dude i didn't ask nor want to join their group, i find soloing is much more rewarding exp wise. but thanks for the advice everyone
Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Fire Giant

This just sounds so toxic. Nothing this bad ever happens on the red server. I never had anyone kill steal a mob. You should give red a try. r99 players are angelic.
Closed Thread