Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's ridiculous to purposely make a class "unfinished" at server launch because "It was Classic"

Even the idiot who whined on the forums to make it happen admits they didn't think it through. They were bent on getting the class nerfed and didn't give a black steer's tuckus on a moonless prairie what the actual consequences would be for EVERYONE who wants to play the class and just lvl it normally to 50 with access to it's most critical and basic spells.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind launching the servers with mages in this state. It's got to be the most shortsighted decision I've ever seen made in an MMO. Let me go play Forensic Forum Search and find some ambiguous claim 20 years ago that "X Class" didn't have their most critical spell during x and x time. Hopefully Dolalin is playing that class and it gets whacked.

I also find it ironic that mages can't get a proper pet after lvl 34, yet chanters still enjoy OP Charm. Talk about rubbing a dog's nose in *&^%$ lol

There have been plenty of non classic changes made because leaving them in their current state was game breaking. This is irrefutable and immediately negates any "It was Classic" argument out the window. It's self serving at this point to try to straddle that high horse PUHLEASE

Especially when this class has been working perfectly fine on the same project for 10 years. It's not like mages are part of the Trinity. Come Kunark 95% of them will get COTH and become summon bots anyways. They aren't going to make or break any raid on these servers because they have their pets.

There were so many factors that contributed to the state of the game at Classic release. Most of them had nothing to do with the game itself. We're talking about SOE here. A company that was notorious (B I G) for releasing products much earlier than they should have with unfinished class mechanics and content.

Why would we recreate a broken game because some jackass in marketing 20 years ago wanted to push the game before it was ready for release?

Give mages their entire spell line of pets. If they have to be researched, fine, whatever, but give me break. The servers should have never launched like this. Bad decision. Huge mistake. I get it. The server is free and we're all thankful, but can a class at least have access to all of it's most critical spell line in some way?

I don't think that's asking too much. Anyone trying to argue that mages should be knee capped like this are a bunch of losers, scouring decades old forums trying to play detective, probably putting more work into gimping other classes than they are actually putting into the game.
Harsh, but well said. We are here to play classic everquest because it was a great game. Purposefully breaking a class because it wasn't finished is one of the worst decisions ever made and goes against the entire project.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 12-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Kobold

Go outside a bit instead of freaking out about some pets that will be fixed in time. I personally find it a bit amusing that these players picked mage to be quick levelers and power houses and now all I see is crying.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Banned

why pick mage which is honestly just worse ENC
Old 12-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is this is nilbog's show, and he's said how he wants to run it and does indeed largely run it that way, but some people aren't content enough with a volunteer-run, donation-supported hobby project that is graciously made available to them to play it without bitching that nilbog isn't running the show PRECISELY the way they want it to be run.
100x this
Old 12-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrid_plum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Go outside a bit instead of freaking out about some pets that will be fixed in time. I personally find it a bit amusing that these players picked mage to be quick levelers and power houses and now all I see is crying.
And why do you assume its the reason people took that class ?

Faster leveling class is far from magician.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

I think nilbog mained a mage in classic. He isnt doing anything he doesn't believe to be correct classic mechanics.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think nilbog mained a mage in classic. He isnt doing anything he doesn't believe to be correct classic mechanics.
The change didnt come from Nilbog. Original release and progression was nothing like it is here.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played Blue pretty much at release and Classic at release

Mages had access to ALL of their pet spells in some way

The current state of mage pet spells is a Green/Teal anomaly
Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrid_plum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, this argument is tired and old. Enchanters are a significantly more powerful class, and when the Mage-pet nerfs went through, the majority of them rerolled to Chanter (I say this based on the numbers of Chanters in game before/after the Mage-pet nerfs)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is this is nilbog's show, and he's said how he wants to run it and does indeed largely run it that way, but some people aren't content enough with a volunteer-run, donation-supported hobby project that is graciously made available to them to play it without bitching that nilbog isn't running the show PRECISELY the way they want it to be run.
A great idea would be to make a forum account require a $25 donation.

And I donated $100 back when I signed up with Blue a few years ago, and did so again before creating an account on Green. In both cases I've tried to keep close to $20 per month of active play time as if I were a regular subscriber back in the day. Monumental doesn't begin to describe how much effort has been required to make and support Blue/Red/Green/Teal.

So really I think it would be entirely fair for them to establish a "Pay to Bitch" policy where there's one forum for the hoi paloi and one for people who care enough to support the entire effort. Access to the latter doesn't guarantee anything other than something you bring up will at least get a clear thumbs up/down acknowledgment from the team, not that you get to argue with them ad infinitum.

I also wonder how some of these arguments are still occurring as they mostly revolve around what the definition of "classic" is to Nilbog and this has to go back to the start of Blue. Is it reproducing exactly what happened? Is it reproducing what happened except for the constant server crashes early on? Is it what happened but we'll fix this set of egregious bugs first? Or the other end of the spectrum, is it what would/could/should have happened had Verant better information on which to make balance decisions (like we have now) and more testing resources etc., i.e. "ideal" classic EQ?

Personally I'd be more tempted to do the latter- fix all the major impacting bugs, stable environment, classes tweaked/fixed to remove the most egregious early issues, like nuking the 40% hybrid exp penalty from the get go. But until I build out my own Emu server and staff it and support it, yeah, don't matter, what matters is what exactly is Nilbog's definition?
Closed Thread