Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Velious Beta > General Beta Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Default Classic vs. Challenge

Rumor, which runs before us like a barking dog, hints that the Beta server is not going to be up again, and the raid targets are going to be buffed. On the one hand, I love the fact that raid content is finally going to be challenging in ways other than poopsocking/FTE. On the other hand, it deeply bothers me that we won't have a classic server. We have a bunch of classholes talking about how we need to nerf the client so you can't move items out of banked bags, and yet we currently have:
  • Dragon fear lasting 2-3x longer than it should
  • 'normal' AEs should be resisted like 85-90% with max resists, not 30-40%
  • Many dragons with 1.5-2x HP
  • Avatar of War hitting 35% faster than he should be
  • Dragons with way overtuned ATK values
And so on and so forth. I think when people start actually playing Velious there is going to be a massive outcry about how hugely overtuned these targets are. But then, on the first hand again, if Velious is released with truly classic values everything will be stomped on day 1.

Here is my suggestion: let's introduce a 'difficulty' knob that explicitly makes mobs more challenging, kind of like 'players 8' in Diablo. For example, suppose our difficulty was set at '+50'. Well, in that case, all raid targets get 50% more HP, their AEs all do 50% more damage, their AC/ATK goes up, etc. I'm just making up numbers here, but I think this has some big advantages over the current ad hoc system:
  • We have the code for a true classic server
  • Fresh servers can start at difficulty 0, and the staff can gradually increase it to keep things challenging
  • Kunark with 2x raid target HP and other NPC buffs might actually be interesting
  • Guilds won't be able to stomp Velious on day 1, because everything will be much harder than it was on the Beta server the night before.
  • Which means that the beta server can stay up and we can continue to find bugs like 10th ring war mobs warping through the ground
Old 04-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Fire Giant

Voted no. With the raid scene like it is this all will be perfect, at least then it may feel like the classic experience. This doesn't affect any of the casuals really just the raiders which need to be affected. Noone wants to see flayed barbarian skin leggings on night 1 just because of a zerg.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

^^ did not read post
Old 04-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Fire Giant

I did. Why steadily increase difficulty when we pretty much need it at the "hardest" on day 1?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev
Guilds won't be able to stomp Velious on day 1, because everything will be much harder than it was on the Beta server the night before.
Furthermore, the entire thrust of the post was that increasing difficulty is a good thing, but we should do it in a clean and elegant way rather than a bunch of ad hoc changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev
On the one hand, I love the fact that raid content is finally going to be challenging in ways other than poopsocking/FTE
TLDR: you either did not read or did not comprehend my post.
Last edited by Raev; 04-18-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Old 04-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Fire Giant

Source of this information?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Sarnak

No "hard mode". Classic mode only. Stuff across the board needs proper tune.

Those dragons(woushi) are some serious BS.

Bags is something like something we just never remembered. Resist gear pointless is something that all feels wrong.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Source of this information?
This. Where are you getting this information Raev?
Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

recharging on red
Old 04-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Banned

I'm sure this won't totally ruin upcoming guild's chances at all vs the people who've farmed for years
Closed Thread