View Poll Results: Rotate Dain?
Great idea, it's a win / win for everyone !! 45 51.72%
Nope, and you are a idiot 30 34.48%
Something about nine hundred and eleven towers of bush? 12 13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 AM
Sarnak

Default A Dain Proposal (Coldain Ring 9)

I have encountered an extremely annoying problem in the last month, and from talking with lots of other people, I know I am not the only one who is very frustrated by this. The issue is the difficulty of completing the turn in to Dain Frostreaver for Coldain Ring 9. With the current raiding situation, he is pulled within 18 seconds of spawning, which means hardcore socking his spawn for up to 16 hours, or risk missing your chance to hand in. If you are AFK or not looking for even 30 seconds, you can easily miss the opportunity to turn in your quest pieces, and then you have to wait another week just for the chance to sit there for hours on end all over again.

I've seen a lot of the same people showing up week after week (obviously myself as well) and waiting for hours on end with no luck completing their hand in. I even heard about one guy this last week who lost his ring 8 as Dain was pulled while he was mid hand in. My proposal is based on a few premises that I hope we can all agree with:

1) Only the guilds Riot and Aftermath currently compete for Dain (on non earthquake spawns)

2) With the nature of the pull, there is a roughly 50/50 chance of each guild getting the kill. The information I received is that out of the last 10 Dain spawns, each guild has 5 kills.

3) Poopsocking Dain sucks for everyone. For people waiting to hand in for Ring 9, for people waiting to get a new declaration of war, and for people waiting to get a protection of the dain.

4) It also sucks for the guilds involved in contesting him, and is a tremendous waste of time and resources. Between tracking him, having people waiting to run, having people sitting at the entrance ready to fight him, and having people constantly running outside thurg to refresh their SoW, it adds up to a lot of hours that I am sure people would rather spend doing something else.

So, given those premises, I suggest the following solution that I think works for everyone:

Aftermath and Riot agree to rotate Dain, and allow a 15 minute grace period from the time he spawns so that everyone can do their quest turn ins. There can also be a 30 minute limit put in place to engage him from the time he spawns, after which he becomes free for all (so a guild doesn't just leave him up indefinitely). This would only apply to Non-Earthquake Dain spawns.

To implement this solution, three things would need to happen. First, there would need to be a consensus among us P99ers that this is a positive change that a majority of us would like to see happen. I am including a poll to see if other people like this idea, and people can also leave their feedback in this thread. Second, Riot and Aftermath would have to agree to the rotation. If the server overall supports this idea, I hope that Riot would step up to the plate and be the first guild to join in. Riot has been very server friendly and pro-partaking in things that take into account helping all the people who play here. If Riot agrees, then I hope that AM would follow suit after (or maybe even be the first to agree to something that is helpful to us casuals for a change!) Third, the other guilds would have to agree to not be part of the rotation. Lastly, I would hope that all the guilds who have not been contesting Dain for months would agree to this, since it would benefit all of their members trying to get their ring 9 with no downside for them.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this idea. Any and all feedback / alternate ideas here are great, and if I am alone or in the minority of people wanting to be able to hand in for ring 9 stress free then post that as well!

TLDR; Riot and Aftermath should agree to rotate Dain so that all of us can hand in our ring 9 quests without crazy poopsocking, and also so they don't have to spend a ton of their own time and resources poopsocking Dain themselves.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Planar Protector

inb4 'casual plebs', 'we totally do it for the competition feeling', 'welfare pixels', 'I am so skilled at video games I can watch a wall for 16 hours', etc
Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Kobold

I love the classic contesting of high value mobs, but when a main quest is involved and you get stupid bottlenecks like this its just bad design.

what about a script that spawns Dain after death in a new location that drops no loot, and rewards no faction?

Dain could re-spawn as a ghost in the hall of ancestors?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Maybe allow Chamberlain to complete the quest? Socking Dain/Tormax/Yeli is awful.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

Those are both good ideas but the devs are never gonna implement something that wasn't in classic. There has to be a better solution than rotating dain, but I don't know what it is
Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by remen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those are both good ideas but the devs are never gonna implement something that wasn't in classic. There has to be a better solution than rotating dain, but I don't know what it is
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Do you play on this server?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofSpade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the current raiding situation, he is pulled within 18 seconds of spawning
There is no way he's constantly pulled within 18 seconds of his spawn, I don't believe it. May be if the windows get super low and no other major mob are in window but that's very rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofSpade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I even heard about one guy this last week who lost his ring 8 as Dain was pulled while he was mid hand in
You mean mid MQ, cause if you got the ring and the box you either can turn in or not you can't lose ring 8.

I heard of people geting the ring but who didn't had time to get the declaration, it's annoying for sure.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no way he's constantly pulled within 18 seconds of his spawn, I don't believe it. May be if the windows get super low and no other major mob are in window but that's very rare.
Pretty sure it's less than 18s now.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

This guys never heard of poop socks

Oh what it was like to be young and naive...
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
inb4 'casual plebs', 'we totally do it for the competition feeling', 'welfare pixels', 'I am so skilled at video games I can watch a wall for 16 hours', etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This guys never heard of poop socks

Oh what it was like to be young and naive...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread