Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this new app?
Legal/Fair, but breaks the Spirit of Classic 31 24.41%
Illigal/Unfair and breaks the Spirit of Classic 23 18.11%
Legal/Fair, and OK with Classic 42 33.07%
Illigal/Unfair but OK with Classic 1 0.79%
Don't care either way 30 23.62%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo Joe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I type /loc and look over at Muse's map on the wiki which I have opened on my second monitor to reference my position on the grid = Okay and legal.
I don't know how big your trust fund is, but multiple monitor setups weren't really common outside of Hollywood movies about "hackers." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the video cards of the day (i.e. Voodoo3 64MB) didn't typically accommodate two monitors.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

staff goes out of there way to disable maps on p99 just to have the players rebel and put em back on. heh
Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Illigal is not a word.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know how big your trust fund is, but multiple monitor setups weren't really common outside of Hollywood movies about "hackers." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the video cards of the day (i.e. Voodoo3 64MB) didn't typically accommodate two monitors.
I think some (really rich) people used two graphic cards. Plus we had those KVM switch things that would let you control two computers from a single keyboard/mouse. The expensive KVMs would even switch control from one computer to the other when you moved the mouse to the edge of the screen (the way dual monitors work now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand how people think this is classic. I am impressed with the idea, but classic mapping was a binder full of printouts because the EQ client didn't allow alt-tabbing until after Velious (maybe Luclin?).
I think this is exactly it. Did people use binders of maps back in 2000? Hell yeah (I know I did). But I also was forced to run in full-screen mode back then ... until I discovered the "cheat" that was EQW.

Now I'm not forced to run in full screen mode, and if I do run full screen can still have a map on a second monitor. In other words, we're already fucked here: we will never reproduce the true 1999 experience. Sure individuals can voluntarily enforce it on themselves, but Rogean isn't going to come to your house and put a gun to your head until you run in fullscreen mode.

That's why we need to stop worrying about map apps. OF COURSE they didn't exist in 1999, but neither did windowed EQ without "cheats". Let's just appreciate the wonderfully classic server the P99 team provides, and the hacked-to-be-almost-classic client they (and the Pirate Bay) provide, and not get bent out of shape over anything external to those two.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I had four computers, three I played EverQuest from, one was a reference PC for things like Alla/EQ Atlas and such. But I guess I wasn't common.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
staff goes out of there way to disable maps on p99 just to have the players rebel and put em back on. heh
That was my point all along. They put a huge lock on the front door, but its ok to enter trough a window.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And using SEQ will get you banned on P99.
I'm not saying that it's legal to use it here, what I'm saying is that the technology existed. I agree that not all "classic" tools should exist, but a map that shows where the player is, DPS scrubbers/loggers, auction trackers, and any other random thing that just reads the log is not a big deal, and it isn't anything new. They did exist, even in the early years of EverQuest.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That was my point all along. They put a huge lock on the front door, but its ok to enter trough a window.
Right because you're making the choice to ruin your own immersion at that point. No one is forcing you to download the program and run it alongside your client with a bind that hits /log over and over whenever you run around. But if you simply hit "M" and a map came up, that might ruin your experience trying to make you travel back to 1999. There's a huge difference between those two.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Large Rat

I don't understand why someone would go out of their way to play on a classic EQ server and then also go out of their way to use this program on that server. Seems pretty self defeating.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flooze [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand why someone would go out of their way to play on a classic EQ server and then also go out of their way to use this program on that server. Seems pretty self defeating.
I think you're able to like a ton of things about Classic EQ, but not enjoy every aspect of it. If you think there's any alternative to playing classic EQ besides P99 either, you're straight up wrong. Every server that even comes close to upholding a classic theme is either underpopulated or underdeveloped or both. This is the only server that has a great population and development team.

However, some people really like maps. I can read a map just fine and open the P99 wiki for zones whenever I get lost/confused. All of my characters have max sense heading to make map reading easier, and I'm good at seeing landmarks on a map. Some individuals are awful at that, and I think that's why they decide to use an outside program.
Closed Thread