Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 AM
Fire Giant

Default Monk - epic fists at level 1

I recently made a Monk alt and got him his epic at level 1. He has a RBG for haste which makes his fists roughly 9/14.

At what point should I start using weapons other than fists?
My max hit so far (I'm in the low teens) is 18. I was grouped with another monk who was dual weidling SoS with a CoF and I was out dpsing him because he was limited by the damage cap.
At 20 or 30 when I lose the damage cap should I throw a SoS in my offhand? Or keep going unarmed?

I'm a newb when it comes to monks so I'm looking for guidance.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

Yes this sounds very classic.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

you should parse the wu quivering at 20-25. it very well could be more dps because of the dmg caps.

but id have the SoS in off hand now already. your no where near master in duel wield so the times that it does go off you want 20 dmg hit. also to train in 1hb.
Chillout - Enc
Worlds - War
Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Aviak

I would like to do some number crunching for my monk as well. How do you parse combat logs?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Banned

gamparse
Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by username17 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I recently made a Monk alt and got him his epic at level 1. He has a RBG for haste which makes his fists roughly 9/14.

At what point should I start using weapons other than fists?
My max hit so far (I'm in the low teens) is 18. I was grouped with another monk who was dual weidling SoS with a CoF and I was out dpsing him because he was limited by the damage cap.
At 20 or 30 when I lose the damage cap should I throw a SoS in my offhand? Or keep going unarmed?

I'm a newb when it comes to monks so I'm looking for guidance.
Thanks in advance.
Absolutely not, Epic fists in main hand with SoS off hand is the BiS unless you end up in top end raiding, and even then its close. This is a result of your main hand dmg bonus, which has a larger impact on the ratios of low delay weapons (such as epic, which is 9/16). Dual wield Epic fists is a great start and then I would add in a SoS once you start to hit some of your dmg caps (lvl 20 or 30)

Also, for anyone that is curious about weapon DPS, Quickfists did a google doc chart that makes comparing weapons super easy.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=163763

Just as an edit: Before anyone jumps all over me about how 2hers are > epic+SoS, that is only in the super early levels when dmg bonuses are still really small, however your 2hers will be capped by dmg limits at those times, making that argument irrelevant. And even when compared to a Tstaff, which is arguably the best 2her outside of VP, only from lvls 30-34 will it be any better, and only by the smallest of margins.

Thus, in conclusion, you spent the money for epic fists, just use them =D
Last edited by fezzyfezz; 02-11-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Old 02-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Skeleton

monk without epic
is not much a monk at all
couple fist with stave
Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sorry for the super newbie question, but how were you able to get your epic at level 1? I just started my monk and have no idea how you would do that, but if there's a way to get your Monk Epic weapon that early, I'd love to hear how and see if I could do that same.

Thanks,

Server - Blue
Spyren - Human Monk
Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry for the super newbie question, but how were you able to get your epic at level 1? I just started my monk and have no idea how you would do that, but if there's a way to get your Monk Epic weapon that early, I'd love to hear how and see if I could do that same.

Thanks,
He either bought it or did it on his main character.

You can obtain the monk epic at any level, you just need the assistance of several level 60 friends (either friends or mercenaries you pay).

As a recently starting player, you likely won't have access to this until after you've leveled up quite a bit, joined a guild and by then in your 50s, doing an epic is typical.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ok, yeah that makes sense. Was wondering how a level one managed to kill all the raid mobs necessary to get the epic lol.

Any good early game monk items I should quest for or target?

I played a ranger way back in the day but have forgot where a lot of items drop and whats good for monks.

Thanks

Server - Blue
Spyren - Human Monk
Closed Thread