Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 02:12 PM
Orc

Default Help with noob brother

Ok boys and girl, I actually talked another person into starting p99. He's never played eq before but mechanically I think he will like it. He's a fan of old school runescape so he's no stranger to old games and bad graphics tradeoff for fun (to him) gameplay.

I've only had luck getting friends to play p99 that previously play eq back in the day with me and never a total noob like my little brother. Looking for advice on how to help get him hooked. I'm set on not twinking a lot but I'm not sure if zero twinking is best. I'll let him pick whatever class he wants and I'll pick second. I'll try to let him lead the adventures and just answer questions as he thi ks of them. Stuff like that.

Anyone have succes bringing in somebody totally new to eq? Is there any hope he stays or is the game just to old and my nostalgia is blinding me?
Last edited by JoFo23; 07-30-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-30-2021, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

No success here either.

Choosing a fun starting city that lets you both choose your class is the best.

Try to explore with him and forget about the boundaries of the world as you know it. Let greater faydark be a big forest where the boundaries are absolutely unknown. Be scared of NPC's and /con them all the time and ask him if you think you can handle the monster, ETC.

I would choose based on the starting zone area you think could be most fun for him.

I really like faydwer overall, kaladim, kelethin and felwithe is such a nice place to run around. Plus akanon.

Rivervale is great till you max out at the goblin camps and either have to go into runnyeye or go to west commons or something for further progression. I don't enjoy the commonlands and desert of ro nearly as much as I enjoy the low mid level stuff in faydwer.

So yeah just choose a nice starting place and lean into it, explore, learn about quests by /hail on NPC's and follow dead ends and stuff. If you cut to the chase on efficient leveling up and stuff I think you will have less fun. Don't like drag him to known good spots, you gotta find good spots by looking around and stuff.

For some reason I think a hybrid melee is a great way to start. When you're a noob you want to be able to care about and use swords and stuff, but you also want to have access to spells because, Duh, spells are cool.

Once you know what you're doing you want the efficiency of a caster but I think hacking away at orcs the traditional style with regular melee attacks is rewarding.

Maybe an iksar monk would be a high reccomend from me, and you play an iksar shaman and you do the kunark path. Lots of functional quests, lots of items to find along the way and good lore.

Depends if he wants to be a lizard or an elf too.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 07-30-2021 at 02:36 PM..
Old 07-30-2021, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

If he truly likes older games, then EQ will be awesome. Some twinking would be good. If I were you, I'd play a druid, awesome in just about any duo and serves as an amazing tour guide. I've started up with several complete newbs to EQ, best I can say is adventure to new places a lot, all of them got bored just camping 1 spot for hours/days on end.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman or enc are great duo classes, can go effectively with almost anything. Make sure to have him pick something with spell casting. Like if he wants to tank have him play sk/pal. I think this will make game a bit more fun than just pressing attack and occasional kick, spam, bash, taunt.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:20 PM
Kobold

Make a couple necro's imo and just mow stuff imo ^ ^, can easily guide on what gear / skills to use and go everywhere together + the class is highly efficient early solo which lets be honest early game is not the fastest on EQ and helps to smooth that out.

+ the class really needs no gear, has lots of stuff to manage to keep active, gets FD and gets invis early
Last edited by blindedsoul; 07-30-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Old 07-30-2021, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Both of you make iksar necros and just win the game.

Good strategy.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:00 PM
Fire Giant

Shaman + Monk
Enchanter + Cleric
Bard + Wizard
Iksar Necro + Iksar Necro

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 07-30-2021, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman + Monk
Enchanter + Cleric
Bard + Wizard
Iksar Necro + Iksar Necro
This guy knows how to play EQ
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFo23 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok boys and girl, I actually talked another person into starting p99. He's never played eq before but mechanically I think he will like it. He's a fan of old school runescape so he's no stranger to old games and bad graphics tradeoff for fun (to him) gameplay.

I've only had luck getting friends to play p99 that previously play eq back in the day with me and never a total noob like my little brother. Looking for advice on how to help get him hooked. I'm set on not twinking a lot but I'm not sure if zero twinking is best. I'll let him pick whatever class he wants and I'll pick second. I'll try to let him lead the adventures and just answer questions as he thi ks of them. Stuff like that.

Anyone have succes bringing in somebody totally new to eq? Is there any hope he stays or is the game just to old and my nostalgia is blinding me?
I suggest giving him some twinkage; enough for the early levels to not be 100% a drag. I had a buddy join who HAD played OG EQ and was set on not thinking us until level 10...he quit at level 5 or 6.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:49 AM
Sarnak

I think the early level struggle is key to setting the context of the world of EQ. That being said it can be a tad slow especially when it’s not a new server where the struggle is universal.

One way I’ve twinked myself is by filling a couple bags with the gear then doing a /ran 16 ( decreasing by one) each level and then equipping the item in that bag slot. Makes each level a jolt of excitement. Some levels you get a game changing item (new weapon or haste) and others it’s less powerful but still fun.