Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: What are you more here for?
Fresh Start 51 60.71%
Classic 33 39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Kobold

Post Are You Here More for a "Fresh Start" or for "Classic"?

Every time I think about getting a fresh start on Green99 I get excited! I didn't hear about P99 until Kunark had been in place for several years, so the server was really stale already. It will be a lot of fun to start over on a clean P99 server with a fresh economy and with everyone on an even playing field.

Then while I'm excited, I read a post that sounds moaning and zombie-like: "unnnggghhhh, claaaasssiiiccc". "nooooo hotkeeeyysss, noooo graaaphhiccss while meddiiinnggg, nooo pet windoowww, cliiiiick meeediiitaaattee". After that I always get a little bummed out, and it's slightly harder to be excited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hyped to play. I just assume most people feel like me, and don't really care about the "historical accuracy" of the server, as long as it feels about as classic as blue does currently. Maybe I'm wrong though!
Old 09-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

Where's the option for both?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where's the option for both?
Which are you MORE excited for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Aviak

Fresh start. The early days of p99 were the most fun. Plenty of people to group with at every level and all kinds of fun loot that either won't exist later (bugged DE mask) or will be much harder to get later (jboots)
Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Fire Giant

Needs to be a "both"
I quit p99 because my necro could not find a place to solo regularly when I was able to play (I work alot and when I have a few hours, if howling stone was camped, I was kind of screwed)
I also wish I would have been around p99 when it first came out -- I didn't come until Kunark was already released and quit again until Velious came out.
So I am happy to start fresh again without everybody being a twink and also excited to try the game in it's original form as close as possible!
Old 09-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Fire Giant

Agree w/ the above. I choose "C) Both"

In fact I'd say the two choices are largely one and the same insofar as EVERYONE "starting fresh" (the lack of twinkage, high level buffs, easy rezzes etc) inherently makes the game feel more "Classic"
Old 09-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Sarnak

I don't think you'll find many people that would say "I'm playing green because there are only 6 hotbar buttons." But, the efforts to recreate classic involve hundreds of such changes, and all together do create a more classic feel. Some changes are less popular than others, but where to draw the line? I think " as classic as possible" is a good goal.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Large Rat

Fresh start with a population for me.

I know people may spit on me but my main ended up being a beastlord and really wish I could play that. At my age I wouldn't mind dulling some of the most painful points.

With that said how many cuts do you allow before it becomes a hot mess?
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you'll find many people that would say "I'm playing green because there are only 6 hotbar buttons." But, the efforts to recreate classic involve hundreds of such changes, and all together do create a more classic feel. Some changes are less popular than others, but where to draw the line? I think " as classic as possible" is a good goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doldiboldi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At my age I wouldn't mind dulling some of the most painful points.

With that said how many cuts do you allow before it becomes a hot mess?
You have to draw the line somewhere and maintain the concept of what P99 is trying to do, which has always been to mimic...1999, not 2003 or later. The magic of this flawed and antiquated game has an intangible quality that's greater than the sum of its parts. You start modifying too many things and you screw up the recipe.

This has been by far the most successful attempt to recreate Everquest in every way so far. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt to make the right decisions, even if removing some stuff we became accustomed to is an inconvenience or annoyance.
Last edited by Fammaden; 09-24-2019 at 09:18 PM..
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have to draw the line somewhere and maintain the concept of what P99 is trying to do, which has always been to mimic...1999, not 2003 or later.
Personally, I would draw the line at "fun".
Closed Thread