Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

I found Everquest by accident. We just got highspeed internet, and Comcasts splash login page had " There is a LOT of realestate in Asheron's Call! " and a link to the beta.

Played that until it ended with amazing GM interaction, then was entirely focused on getting that game. Got all my 13 year old cash together and went to hastings... only.. It wasnt out yet, it was a beta! That had just ended ;w;

I was really bummed out, then saw the original box and the troll on the back. Just great color and spell effects. Snagged that instead. A little clever work to get my mom's credit card and I was playing. It was an instant blast, made a wizard first, got lost and died in G-fay, made an enchanter and stuck with it until 40, when I got stuck in the tunnel game.

Made thousands and thousands of plat and had tons of twinks but never got anything too high.

Hoping to actually break that cycle.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

friends dad was an SOE dev, let us screw around with the game before it came out. cant remember if it was an actual beta server or just a sandbox mode because i never ran into another player. leveled a gnome necro up a little bit and i rolled a few level 1's to check out the starting towns. i remember the player animations were still really weird/rudimentary for some races like human.
bought the game and rolled a gnome magician on xegony when the servers went live.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Was too young to play when this first came but a few years when I grew older my cousin decided to show me the game. Thought it was really cool and ironically enough my dad already had it and I started playing it as an Iskar sk for my first roll, had no clue what the stats meant or any idea it effected the game so I probably dumped them all into charisma lmao.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Fire Giant

A few of my friends from school were playing. I think we were 12 when we started playing in 2000. Started up on Brell and played until about 2004.

My first character was a High Elf Enchanter but quickly rerolled Erudite Enchanter. When I realized I couldn't control my animated pets I lost interest...oh little did I know that I should've kept with that class. I rerolled Half Elf Ranger and that was my main the whole time =P
Last edited by Morlaeth; 03-08-2016 at 06:39 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Orc

It was 1999 and I had just graduated from college. A friend told me about EQ and I applied for my first credit card so I could suscribe. Up until then my online game playing was limited to Doom and Diablo. So EQ was pretty incredible in its scope relative to these other games.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Kobold

All really great stories it's amazing how memories like those can bring everyone together to a game we all love
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Aviak

I was just about to goto University and while playing diablo 2 on battlenet, someone mentioned how EQ was going to end most diablo 2 guilds. I looked it up, grabbed my bike the next day, cycle to the next city and bought the box. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get any of my friends to try it to (in general, their first mmo was wow).
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

My buddy told me of this new roleplaying game that is with an online community of actual people that you can join up with to have adventures and kill dragons and stuff. I'm like, "Sounds sweet, how do you beat it?". He's like, "You don't, you just make your own adventures killing stuff, raiding towns, questing... and every now and then they'll bring out expansions with new stuff to explore".

I was pretty sold after that, sounded different than what I was used to. He also told me how massive the world was, describing it as taking 4 hours to physically run across the whole globe (may even be more if you're waiting on the boats). Just sounded so cool and one of those games you dreamt about, felt like the future is now.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethClaypool [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My dad use to play Dungeons and Dragons with his buddies at work and one them turned him on to the game. I was eight years old at the time and remember watching him play a wood elf Ranger.

I showed such an interest in watching him play that he paid for me an account. We played together for years up through Omens.

He's also responsible for telling me about p99.

He passed away December 17th of last year. He hadn't played EverQuest in a very long time but I can thank him to this day for my love of high fantasy. Feeling nostalgic about playing with him is actually what made me recently return to p99 after about a half year.
Sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like your father was a solid guy. I hope to be able to share my love of high fantasy genres with my daughter as she grows up, and that she finds as much enjoyment in it as I.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like your father was a solid guy. I hope to be able to share my love of high fantasy genres with my daughter as she grows up, and that she finds as much enjoyment in it as I.
Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed my years playing with my dad. He made the game more immersion. When I got into raiding occasionally and high end grouping where he gave a lot of alts characters. To this day I still plan to see several of his characters personalities to end game.
Closed Thread