Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedandglued [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was just making the point that everybody is thinking they'll get it right because they have the blueprint. However they are just coping some small pieces of the game, and haven't a fraction of the depth.

I hope eventually it doesn't end up like EQ2 with it's constant scaling up of damage. What the hell is so hard about no putting in weapons with 2189-5412 damage, hitting for millions. Seriously how does anybody enjoy seeing those types of numbers roll. It's too much.
The devs have made similar comments about the meaningless barrage of numbers that's been prevalent in MMORPGs. Because of that, and possibly for other less obvious reasons, starting stats in PROTF are going to be low, even lower than classic EQ's. According to interviews in the not-so-distant past, a piece of equipment with single-digit increases would be more significant than on Project1999 where many newbies will laugh off the offer of a free purity belt or dervish cutthroat ring. Ideally, a player's inventory window should read more like a DnD character sheet. Fifteen additional hitpoints should be a considerable upgrade. Less is more.

But there really is no blueprint other than "no pay to win, don't hold my hand, don't include golden arrow indicators, and don't make my character godlike by level 7". That's what not to do, but what should be done is a lot harder to put into words, much less into a virtual world. As you've said, there are far too many other must-haves that factor in a game's immersiveness and replayability. Suspension of disbelief isn't tied to any one feature. Graphics are great and all, but attention to detail and artistic style are more important. Lore is important, as it gives meaning to the graphics, but mechanics are what make or break a game.

As for McQuaid, he is seen as either savior or traitor/perpetrator by the gaming community, depending on who you ask, which is why I think he's been playing more of a background role. The truth is probably somewhere between the two, as it is for most people, in real life and in game.

I've shared similar concerns about the game, particularly when it was still using Unity Engine's default character models and still depending on volunteers. The game has come a long way since then and has a lot going for it, but I'm not interested in convincing you; I just like to take the less popular stance and argue/debate the issues. Imo just maintain the same degree of skepticism until there's a finished product available to the public, whether that's this year, next year, or the turn of the next century.

If you want assurances elsewhere that the team is at least competent and personally invested, I would watch the sitdown interview with Chris Perkins from PAX East that's up on Youtube.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 AM
Kobold

By blueprint I mean literately everything complex in classic everquest that gave you immersion, and felt like an escape to a different world. modifying appearance for turning in quests, crafting that goes way beyond simple recipes, unique abilities like track, being able to summon food bandages throwing weps ect, vastness in traveling alteration invis DMF sow bard songs, not to mention EQ had a great diversity of items specific to certain locations. So when you seen a shaman that traveled far from Halas he had on certain gear from his journeys. I'm speaking from a classic point of view, now for the most part people just buy gear in the tunnel. Having race/class combinations equal big differences. We all say play what you what is coolest looking, but things like racial regen, and invis can't be ignored. The importance of knowing your way around. From what I seen that game seems very linear. I feel like it's almost impossible to get lost. Another thing about classic EQ was the fact that you could give really high level items to your alts. There's no feeling like this, and it's one of my favorite aspects. Also being able to help people at lower level with spells like POTG, there will be nothing close to that in Pantheon. It will be held in the standards of cheating. I Just don't like the world, seems very non-immersive. I realize it's pre-alpha but I'm already getting the feel that the item visuals won't be as dramatic or varied as eq ever was.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

At least 2/3rds of the things you've brought up are things that Pantheon has said it will have. Big dangerous world where unique abilities definitely matter (including the perception system), travel will be a real journey - can get lost, and local areas will feel unique and create different adventures. They've said banks will be local even, although I'm not sure of the specifics or how I feel about it exactly. I'm in favor of banks charging a fee to retrieve items you didn't store in *that* bank or people gaining a bit of interest from their hometown bank, but it would probably become tedious if you had to always keep going to different banks to pull out your items/cash.

I've never liked twinking being possible, it's only bad for the game. The extreme downtime in EQ is the only way it begins to look reasonable, the same goes for ultra-buffing low level characters. Long duration buffs in general are just a tedious and shallow form of gameplay (unless they continually drain the caster's mana as upkeep), I'm against them except for like illusions and traveling. They should be combat-dependent and require the players to actually make choices and time them well. I do like the community interaction of players being able to throw beneficial buffs/heals on people they aren't grouped with, but not the "get super buffed in commons tunnel" kind of shit.

If cheating is one of your favorite things then I feel like you need to address your own mental state and ask yourself why. Possibly the answer is because EQ can become boring if you've already "done it", but that doesn't mean twinking should be the solution. It means the game needs to be designed better, such that making a new character and building it up is always fun (as long as you enjoy the class).

One thing I currently agree with as a qualm is the visuals: doesn't look like they will be as exciting or varied as EQ's. Things don't seem obscured or scary or unique enough yet, it looks like a Skyrim clone. Most zones in original EQ were either very dark or constantly spread out in all directions, without being able to see reliable directional markers at many points. We've only seen one starting area of Pantheon so far and it does seem fairly easy to navigate, but it could just be the "Qeynos Hills" of the game, and other areas will be more difficult.

I do also have some concerns about the gameplay maybe being too linear, where they are being too rigid in the design of how players can approach the content. We need more information to go on though, doesn't feel like nearly enough yet.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

We will have to see if it can survive in the current environment, with free to play + some form of money transaction. Also if it can survive in or outside of the gravity of WoW's blackhole. Even Blizzards own Wildstar MMO couldn't.

As far as D&D is concerned I am not sure its a factor with modern games. RPG's mean stats and maybe some kind of story to follow along. "You mean when I blast a guy with a shotgun to the face he takes 6 points of damage because of my skills?". Is it fair to say that the older generations, before mine even, were into D&D games. How many other D&D titles are on the market these days? The D&D MMO blew imo.. don't think I ever Roleplayed in chat or anything so I question the RPG in the description as it has two meanings.

I have already played MMOs with "Button Mashing" for their melee classes, where you need to setup the next strike etc.. my interest in these died a horrid death with The Matrix Online. From forum posts I gather that something like classic EQ is "Pressing two buttons, three most.. yawn" to other MMOs where its "I click this then that, I have like eight things to click in a specific order and I need to know when and how".
Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 AM
Planar Protector

Arrow

not going to play pantheon; im too old. Brad-haters are all small men and unemployeds. dude makes games and has a talent for it. dude's not a great businessman. deal with it ^,~v
Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 AM
Sarnak

How long has it been in its current alpha whatever phase?

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 01-31-2019, 02:15 PM
Banned

p99 is more of an mmog than a mmorpg

u murderhobos
Old 01-31-2019, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedandglued [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So maybe someone can convince me otherwise, but from the streams I haven't seen anything that's similar to EQ 1 besides a few small things. The combat works nothing alike. I watched the stream where they showed off the blood night class or whatever, AKA shadowknight from WOTLK or Bezerker from eq1. The skills felt so clicky like wow. The main thing though is the lore. They haven't talked about this at all. The reason why classic EQ was so good is because the classes were so different. You would be like cool its a ranger, he could do help us do this specifically, and your like hell yah im a ranger. Nowadays it's grab a tank CHECK, get some deeps CHECK, we need A healer CHECK. What about certain races only being able to wear certain items based on the size of the item. How does this game have the layout in front of it, and have not learned anything from the past. Furthermore they have destroyed what has been given to them by neglecting the complexities of the lore and integrating miscellaneous skills from EQ 1. Then they are making people think that it's a reflection on its original creation.

Not only do I have little faith in Pantheon, but I take offense to it.

Also, isn't the lead guy Brain McQuad or whatever inherently a failure by now. I mean he's dropped the ball on like the last 3 projects he was commanding. So he's like 1-3 or something really, on a 3 loss streak? Where does he get savior status from, I'm failing to see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The devs have made similar comments about the meaningless barrage of numbers that's been prevalent in MMORPGs. Because of that, and possibly for other less obvious reasons, starting stats in PROTF are going to be low, even lower than classic EQ's. According to interviews in the not-so-distant past, a piece of equipment with single-digit increases would be more significant than on Project1999 where many newbies will laugh off the offer of a free purity belt or dervish cutthroat ring. Ideally, a player's inventory window should read more like a DnD character sheet. Fifteen additional hitpoints should be a considerable upgrade. Less is more.

But there really is no blueprint other than "no pay to win, don't hold my hand, don't include golden arrow indicators, and don't make my character godlike by level 7". That's what not to do, but what should be done is a lot harder to put into words, much less into a virtual world. As you've said, there are far too many other must-haves that factor in a game's immersiveness and replayability. Suspension of disbelief isn't tied to any one feature. Graphics are great and all, but attention to detail and artistic style are more important. Lore is important, as it gives meaning to the graphics, but mechanics are what make or break a game.

As for McQuaid, he is seen as either savior or traitor/perpetrator by the gaming community, depending on who you ask, which is why I think he's been playing more of a background role. The truth is probably somewhere between the two, as it is for most people, in real life and in game.

I've shared similar concerns about the game, particularly when it was still using Unity Engine's default character models and still depending on volunteers. The game has come a long way since then and has a lot going for it, but I'm not interested in convincing you; I just like to take the less popular stance and argue/debate the issues. Imo just maintain the same degree of skepticism until there's a finished product available to the public, whether that's this year, next year, or the turn of the next century.

If you want assurances elsewhere that the team is at least competent and personally invested, I would watch the sitdown interview with Chris Perkins from PAX East that's up on Youtube.
Quote:
By blueprint I mean literately everything complex in classic everquest that gave you immersion, and felt like an escape to a different world. modifying appearance for turning in quests, crafting that goes way beyond simple recipes, unique abilities like track, being able to summon food bandages throwing weps ect, vastness in traveling alteration invis DMF sow bard songs, not to mention EQ had a great diversity of items specific to certain locations. So when you seen a shaman that traveled far from Halas he had on certain gear from his journeys. I'm speaking from a classic point of view, now for the most part people just buy gear in the tunnel. Having race/class combinations equal big differences. We all say play what you what is coolest looking, but things like racial regen, and invis can't be ignored. The importance of knowing your way around. From what I seen that game seems very linear. I feel like it's almost impossible to get lost. Another thing about classic EQ was the fact that you could give really high level items to your alts. There's no feeling like this, and it's one of my favorite aspects. Also being able to help people at lower level with spells like POTG, there will be nothing close to that in Pantheon. It will be held in the standards of cheating. I Just don't like the world, seems very non-immersive. I realize it's pre-alpha but I'm already getting the feel that the item visuals won't be as dramatic or varied as eq ever was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At least 2/3rds of the things you've brought up are things that Pantheon has said it will have. Big dangerous world where unique abilities definitely matter (including the perception system), travel will be a real journey - can get lost, and local areas will feel unique and create different adventures. They've said banks will be local even, although I'm not sure of the specifics or how I feel about it exactly. I'm in favor of banks charging a fee to retrieve items you didn't store in *that* bank or people gaining a bit of interest from their hometown bank, but it would probably become tedious if you had to always keep going to different banks to pull out your items/cash.

I've never liked twinking being possible, it's only bad for the game. The extreme downtime in EQ is the only way it begins to look reasonable, the same goes for ultra-buffing low level characters. Long duration buffs in general are just a tedious and shallow form of gameplay (unless they continually drain the caster's mana as upkeep), I'm against them except for like illusions and traveling. They should be combat-dependent and require the players to actually make choices and time them well. I do like the community interaction of players being able to throw beneficial buffs/heals on people they aren't grouped with, but not the "get super buffed in commons tunnel" kind of shit.

If cheating is one of your favorite things then I feel like you need to address your own mental state and ask yourself why. Possibly the answer is because EQ can become boring if you've already "done it", but that doesn't mean twinking should be the solution. It means the game needs to be designed better, such that making a new character and building it up is always fun (as long as you enjoy the class).

One thing I currently agree with as a qualm is the visuals: doesn't look like they will be as exciting or varied as EQ's. Things don't seem obscured or scary or unique enough yet, it looks like a Skyrim clone. Most zones in original EQ were either very dark or constantly spread out in all directions, without being able to see reliable directional markers at many points. We've only seen one starting area of Pantheon so far and it does seem fairly easy to navigate, but it could just be the "Qeynos Hills" of the game, and other areas will be more difficult.

I do also have some concerns about the gameplay maybe being too linear, where they are being too rigid in the design of how players can approach the content. We need more information to go on though, doesn't feel like nearly enough yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We will have to see if it can survive in the current environment, with free to play + some form of money transaction. Also if it can survive in or outside of the gravity of WoW's blackhole. Even Blizzards own Wildstar MMO couldn't.

As far as D&D is concerned I am not sure its a factor with modern games. RPG's mean stats and maybe some kind of story to follow along. "You mean when I blast a guy with a shotgun to the face he takes 6 points of damage because of my skills?". Is it fair to say that the older generations, before mine even, were into D&D games. How many other D&D titles are on the market these days? The D&D MMO blew imo.. don't think I ever Roleplayed in chat or anything so I question the RPG in the description as it has two meanings.

I have already played MMOs with "Button Mashing" for their melee classes, where you need to setup the next strike etc.. my interest in these died a horrid death with The Matrix Online. From forum posts I gather that something like classic EQ is "Pressing two buttons, three most.. yawn" to other MMOs where its "I click this then that, I have like eight things to click in a specific order and I need to know when and how".
agreed
Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Banned

though I wouldnt be surprised that this game turned out to be a raging dumpster fire, I thought it was looking pretty EQ.

The visuals are more vanguard but the gameplay looked basically like EQ to me, a lot of pulling, splitting and it looked to me like all the class roles were there doing the usual. But that aws like a year ago that someone posted footage here that I saw it, maybe its a raging dumpster fire now.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:46 PM
Kobold

When I hear people talk about what an MMO should be, or where an MMO went wrong, or why classic EQ is better or what Pantheon is going to be or what Pantheon should be it comes down to that person wanting EQ. Classic EQ. Project 1999 EQ.

Speaking for myself, what I'm missing is the novelty and discovery that came with EQ. Not only discovering new lands but new mechanics and faction systems and religions and classes and skill combinations and spell effects etc.. Just learning a new world and all of it's intricacies.

If Pantheon was 99% P-99 but with better graphics and some different maps then I'd miss out on that discovery. I'm hoping that Pantheon, when and if it is ever released, is it's own game. Not a clone, not a remake, not a "reloaded" just an MMO born from the passion of its developers who know what makes an MMO good and what makes it crap.

I feel that the devs working on it have the right passion and the right attitude. I don't want to truly know what it is until it's out because I don't want to miss out on the discovery, and maybe I'll be disappointed and maybe I won't but that's exactly what I felt when I picked up "The Ruins of Kunark" off the shelf at my local Fred Meyer's store back in the day.
Closed Thread