Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

Default Grass is greener or am I in a weird in-between area?

I have a 25 ogre SK and was having an OK time leveling up so far until mistmoore. Before that, one Disease Cloud and some whacking stuff with a Deathbinger's Rod.

Now I cant hold agro for shit, needs multiple Disease Clouds, or a snare and fuck everything if someone else has been attacking it not assisting. And without a chanter, mana becomes an issue after awhile, and fuck everything again if I am also the puller

Does agro get better or does it just not matter until later on?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Dmg cap is being undone so dem rogues doing max DPS while not being very good at evading.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shadow Vortex makes things easier as far as snap agro but that is at level 39. Use Taunt on mobs that have already taken a beating from some non assisting Monk. As a 25 SK if you are grouped with a level 29 or 30 Monk with a CoF and a T-Staff....its going to be rough keeping agro no matter who you are. in Mistmoore the level discrepancies are usually the biggest factor. Chain casting Disease Cloud is about all you can do, but it should work since spell hate is massive compared to white damage.

It gets better I would say, my SK is level 50 and I can hold agro off anyone if I want to.

If you are also pulling running into some mana problems is pretty normal, this works itself out later when you start getting better gear. Clarity is pretty sweet also.

Stay the course and you will be fine, SK is one of the best 6 man tanks in the game (the best IMO).

EDIT: level 30 damage cap would explain a lot also - good point Legidias
The only caveat regarding disease cloud is to be very very careful using it when there are mobs which may add that will require a target change when you have an enchanter. I wiped in the hole because of a disease cloud when a rock golem added and the SK had disease clouded the original target because it became unmezzable.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:59 AM
Orc

Disease Cloud for snap aggro, if someone steals aggro...Disease Cloud again.

If you're still struggling, the rogue needs to learn to evade, the wizard needs to tone it down, and the monk probably has OP Velious weapons or something.

The point being, a 2nd disease cloud at 50% mob health should seal the deal for mobs at your level. Save shadow vortex later for pre-aggro building on the next mob while it's mezzed, the enchanter will thank you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also also, keep taunt handy if you have fast pulls/clears. It can help sometimes and its mana free.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:53 AM
Planar Protector

It's normal around 25-30,when grouped with good dps that a single dc is not enough, just cast as many as needed... At your level a second one around 50% should do it.. Shadow Vortex is great cause there is no damage breaking mez, nor dd component that can break roots... It is way more mana expensive through, DC should be your main agro spells, Shadow Vortex is useful either when gaining agro on parked mobs, or to get that little extra agro at high level between your dc chain cast recast timer... At 53 I can only make sparingly use of shadow vortex when I don't have a bard or a c anyway...
Last edited by elwing; 03-19-2018 at 02:58 AM..
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Sarnak

Use taunt to gain aggro followed by an aggro spell this will take you to the top of aggro and then put you ahead by the spellcasting. When you get to level 45 BE gauntlets cast a snare spell that has excellent aggro. when I had trouble holding aggro I would alternate disease cloud and darkness from the gauntlets. saved tons of mana when I didn't have mana regen in group.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Don't pull with DC (unless the pull's long enough you will be able to cast it again right away when you get back to camp... I can't remember exactly what the cooldown on it is). Initial aggro has a threat cap, so you're not getting the full bang for your buck with DC if you initiate aggro with it and then the mob is in camp when DC is still down.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

You just keep casting DC whenever it pops up. Just remember in a group setting your only job is to hold aggro...even if that means chain casting lvl 9 spells until you hate yourself.

Something I used to do is pull with clinging and DC before they get to the group. Then I would start off at the camp with DC close to being off cooldown. That way you get a jump on the aggro game even if you get hit a couple times on the way there. Later with mana to spare you can mix in heart flutter on the pull since it's a longer cast.

Knights hold great aggro but ultimately a DPS class has to meet them half way. If they can overwealm your ability, kudos...now they should reign it in [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Later on it gets easier, they die quicker and rezzes aren't always available.
Closed Thread