Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Default Origin of 'canni' mechanic?

A lot of the classes, races, and class features in EQ came from more-or-less obvious precursors in myth, literature or tabletop games. I've been wondering, though, about the 'cannibalism' mechanic on shamans...does anyone have any information about where that idea came from?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Fire Giant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagell...cs_and_Mystics

Duh.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Sometimes developers make up game mechanics to match the story, and sometimes they make up story to match game mechanics. I'd guess that the cannabalise mechanic of "let's let Shaman turn their life in to mana" came first, and then they looked around for something vaguely Shamanic to call it (and found "cannabalize").
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The terms 'cannibalism' or 'shaman' do not even appear in that wiki page, but thanks for trying.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

I've always thought it was poorly named... it's more of a sacrifice of vitality in exchange for spiritual favor. That's not a novel concept...

Move to make un-classic change in renaming "Cannibalize" spells to "Flesh to Spirit"
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The terms 'cannibalism' or 'shaman' do not even appear in that wiki page, but thanks for trying.
From that link:

Because practices such as starvation, sleep denial and flagellation are known to induce altered states, flagellation may be used by religious ecstatics and mystics as part of ritualistic practices or ceremonies to achieve unusual states of mind

Going on the basis that the spell canni is "starving" yourself of health to regen mana. the effect and the word cannibalism arent really tied together. Its moreso your eatting yourself away"Cannibalizing"(losing health) to gain enlightenment (mana).
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Along the lines of Thulack's description I can see the act of inflicting damage to ones self in exchange for enhanced ability, in this case with mana, as related to cani.

In many mythos and narratives something is gained through sacrifice. Take the biblical story of Adam and Eve or any one of the many stories throughout history and fantasy in which blood is used as a reagent for a spell.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Aviak

In India, Aghori Sadhus which are similar to shamans eat dead bodies from the funeral pyres. They are a wandering monk who embraces the darker side of life to go beyond duality.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Along the lines of Thulack's description I can see the act of inflicting damage to ones self in exchange for enhanced ability, in this case with mana, as related to cani.

In many mythos and narratives something is gained through sacrifice. Take the biblical story of Adam and Eve or any one of the many stories throughout history and fantasy in which blood is used as a reagent for a spell.
Sure, I get that too, the general idea. But I specifically was wondering if there were any game or popular literature precedents to the idea of self-cannibalism and shamans as a game class.

For instance, D&D apparently has shamans, but no mention of any cannibalistic tendencies.
Last edited by fadetree; 10-23-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Sarnak

EQ was based largely on DikuMUD. I'd suggest checking into gameplay of that particular thing to see if it had a cannibalize mechanism.
Closed Thread