Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

View Poll Results: Classic Resist System or Custom?
Classic Everquest Resists. 63 77.78%
Null's Custom Resists. 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Fire Giant

Default Resists, Null's custom versus Classic.

Currently there's a custom by design resist system in place rather than the original classic most of us knew from classic eq. In fact, looking back upon the reported changes the current resist rates for snare/root seem more in line with the post-PoP resist system overhaul (http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ght+than+wrong).

The purpose of this poll is fairly simple, do you want a classic resist system (disclosure, one I am in favor of, as it doesn't involve getting snare/root mindlessly casted until it sticks and the target dies) or Null's custom resist system where you can be rooted/snared fairly easily even at 150+mr, but seems about right regarding resist rates for Fr/Cr spells (with a few exceptions when i last played... chaotic feedback still resisting at stun line rates rather than nuke line rate? Same with SoL?)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

I don't know enough to vote in the poll. Why is it a bad thing that a class with snare and root can land snare and root? As a cleric I have the spell root! I land it about 1 out of 10-15 attempts! Why is this bad? What makes the old way better? Give me some examples please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
"I will honor those who honor Me, but those who despise Me will be disgraced." HCSB 1 Samuel 2:30
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

new way encourages zerg behavior to mass root and target one person. old way means if ur getting hit you can back off and then only worry about pursuers cutting you off and such, not getting rooted and destroyed in 2 secounds by a wave of zergling melee infantry

plus old way meant u could reliably face 6 people and get away, new way means you had better not let them get the chance to cast a root on u
Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Sarnak

It's bad because while the spell only lands 1 out of 10-15 attempts its still good enough when it does land to keep spamming it, thus most fights become a rootspam fest. It also makes it much harder then it already is to fight while being outnumbered.

It greatly reduces the art of how to actually kill someone and how fights develop. Right now in groupfights it's almost always "Look for the rooted guy and press autoattack". In classic when somebody landed a dot on you it felt like shit, because even if you could cure it you had to stand still while doing so, which leaves you very vulnerable (Like being rooted does, which you didn't get on live). The classbalance just gets too customized.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Fire Giant

1/10 may not feel so broken from an individual perspective Rushmore, but consider where there's 10 rooting classes in a fight? Every round of spell casting a target will be rooted/snared and that target will be mindlessly killed by a melee assist train.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know enough to vote in the poll. Why is it a bad thing that a class with snare and root can land snare and root? As a cleric I have the spell root! I land it about 1 out of 10-15 attempts! Why is this bad? What makes the old way better? Give me some examples please.

Sure.

Because in classic, when root/snare were effectively landing ~3% of the time against resist geared players, people *still used them* because landing one CC spell has such a large impact + it's easily spammable due to low mana cost and quick cast times.

EQ PvP was not WoW PvP. It could last a long time, especially in outdoor zones.

Utilizing the environment (ie: jousting, sticking to casters, etc) was a core fundamental of the "skill" involved. It is what made EQ PvP what it was. It's what most players want in a classic EQ PvP server.

On live, no class relied on these spells. It was something maybe you'd throw out as random spam against a lower level player, or something you'd try if you were stacking MR debuffs (tash, malo, etc). It was not bread and butter of PvP though. Group PvP was not root spam + assist training one target (fucking terrible).

In Kunark era, I was 50/50 coin flip against a Druid who could not root me. They can kill well enough with SoW + nukes + Winged Death. The fact that I'm going to have a harder time here as a Monk is sort of depressing to me, as is the fact that I won't be able to 1v5 hit and run (which I also did on live) because I'll be having root spammed on me.

I don't think Null would be adverse to changing it to classic. He just isn't actively involved currently or checking the forums regularly (as of last time I talked to him online). I will try to get him to do us all the favor, but I think even if he does make the change then it has to get pushed through Rogean and patched in.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Gosh guys, given all the factors involved I think this could really happen.

(lul no)
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

He at least raised it to like ~90% @ 120 MR iirc so 1v1 fights won't be too terrible barring unlucky streaks

group pvp is probably still retarded though

I have yet to get into pvp range aka level 45+ on my monk so I won't comment on it beyond that
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

pvp champ gloinz summed up in one sentence here what I took like 9 paragraphs to say

Quote:
new way encourages zerg behavior to mass root and target one person. old way means if ur getting hit you can back off and then only worry about pursuers cutting you off and such, not getting rooted and destroyed in 2 secounds by a wave of zergling melee infantry
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

currently there is a thread of neckbeard butthurts mad about memories imagined

mad
Closed Thread