Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default <-- total noob: need advice

Hey All!
First of all I have next to zero experience with EQ. I played when it first came out but wasn't much into mmo(s) back then. I didn't get serious about gaming until Dark Age of Camelot came out in 2001. Played that for years off and on. I've also played most mmorpgs since then over the years.

I've noticed over those same years that the games were getting prettier and easier. Graphics have gotten amazing, questing is as simple as using a GPS while being carried from one quest hub to the next. It's like meeting a really hot woman or guy, depending on your taste ofc, and then find out they have an IQ of a ball of string. Fun to play with but not much long term.

<--Sorry, I'm off topic-->

So what always brought me back to daoc? It was the community. People are a huge part of any good game no matter how old it is. So just the other day I heard about Project 1999. After some trial and error I got it up and running. Still trying to get it working on a linux box instead but Windows is fine for now.

So what I'm looking for is just some advice for a poor new player on a good starting toon, race and area. By no means am I looking for handouts. I prefer to earn what I have. I'm just trying to avoid the "you rolled what class/race as your first?!?!" Are there any really needed classes that can both solo effectively as well as do alright in groups? Are there any good "starter guides" out there?

Thanks for reading...

Rambling off
Old 11-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Aviak

I say start with a Druid. They allow you to cast Sow & port to make travelling easier. They can do a little bit of everything which should give you a good starting point. You can also use them to port and powerlevel other characters to make a bit of coin to fund alts.

If you want to try a melee out then I recommend Monk as they are the least gear dependent

Welcome have have fun!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Large Bat

Shaman is one of the best solo class that is really appreciated in groups. They can do a lot of different things, even melee a bit (but not very effectively, mostly for fun or with great items). I just started recently so can't tell you if it is needed in raids or at max level but i can tell you it's very effective.

Some other classes are better at soloing, or grant better buffs (though shaman has a ton of them and some of the best)...
Enchanters for instance, are very appreciated in groups for the support and buffs they provide (they can stun / cc mobs and provide attack speed buffs, mana regen buffs, etc.)...however it's much harder to solo with them.

A class that is usually underplayed is bard. Melee, cc, aoe damage, attack speed buffs, mana regen buffs, etc. Very good at both soloing (kiting mobs with damage songs) and in groups. However, they aren't very easy to play either.

I woul suggest that you test several classes. I started back in the day as a warrior, then tested a necro and didn't like it and then settled for shaman because it's so awesome (also...alchemy rocks).

Monks as suggested by Captiv8 are one of the only classes that are fine by themselves thanks to the ability to feign death and they dish out very good damage even naked (less stuff dependent than others).

Most caster classes are harder to play but some are very good at soloing. Necro and mage, with their pets, are very good at soloing.
Wizards are terrible at soloing but have very very high direct damage spells.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

I recommend this guide: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Sarnak

If you go SHM, pick Barb. Starting out as an Evil race can be rough on a rank newbie.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishyOne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you go SHM, pick Barb
Not the best advice imo, you can get around the faction issues but will still be a Barb at lvl 60.

My first choice would be Ogre for stun immunity and second would be Troll for regen. Lizzard regen is nice but you can't use the JBB. The only advantage the Barb has is leveling up without the racial xp penalty and easier to do your banking etc.

Barb has no advantage over ogre/troll once your 60
Old 11-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Sarnak

honestly any class is fine to start. Most people will say to pick iksar troll or ogre race when possible for the health regens and other racial benefits in spite of being evil and some xp penalty. Imo pick whatever race you like to look at first. From there decide if you want to be a tank. Mellee dps, caster dps, or priest. After that decide if you want to solo or group. Once you've picked race/role/play style, the answer will be pretty narrowed down.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Orc

You can't go wrong with a necromancer. Fear/Snare/CC/Heal/Pet/Charm can easily make yourself a key member of any group.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's like meeting a really hot woman or guy, depending on your taste ofc, and then find out they have an IQ of a ball of string. Fun to play with but not much long term.
I'm not a piece of meat!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:24 AM
Planar Protector

Ogre or Troll Shaman. 1-3ish innothule swamp. Then Wfp for a bind to use EC tunnel buffs 3-20ish. Enchanter / Magician / Necromancer are also good for first characters, however, shaman and enchanter are the most dominant.

1-9 ec, 9-11 wc or nro, 11-18ish oasis crocs. Lots of buffs in EC, and folks pass through oasis to hit you with rebuffs often. Common buffing spot that is known across server for nice high-end folks to stop by. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread