Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 PM
Fire Giant

Default Anybody know anything about the random vertical shaft behind Vox's Lair?

I started messing around looking for unreachable geometry in zones, like the "GM rooms", and I noticed this tall vertical shaft behind Vox. It's behind the door in the lair, at the end of the dead-end tunnel.

It's pretty tall, and it has a texture across the top. Anybody know any trivia about this, maybe at one time devs considered it might go to/from somewhere? Is it just to explain how the giants get in and out? Presumably that Priest of Nagafen goes home for holidays, and the regular entrance can't even fit an ogre, never mind a giant...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voxlair1.jpg (23.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg voxlair2.jpg (12.9 KB, 6 views)

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Kobold

Looks like an unused entrance or exit?
<Ad Nauseum>

Xwing @aliciousness 60 Hierophant
<Dial a Port>
Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

that is how vox goes out to go do the dirty with her boyfriend naggy which is NOT ALLOWED.

She was imprisoned there by kerafyrm, upon waking the dragon these two when up will say:

Lord Nagafen:
Ha! The Ring and Claws are doomed! The Sleeper has been awakened, what a glorious day! Lady Vox, I will see you soon, our long delayed nuptials can now proceed!

While Lady Vox:
The Sleeper stirs! A glorious new age for Norrath is about to begin, and my exile is about to end!
Last edited by Jibartik; 08-10-2020 at 09:37 PM..
Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah, I immediately thought about how you can jump into The Hole and land by Master Yael. Maybe a "dangerous shortcut" was an idea.

If it was going to connect somewhere some day, what the heck could they have thought of connecting it to? Unless it would have just been into Everfrost... perhaps the dungeon was designed before the Everfrost was (by a different dev) and it was there as a connection option? Seems unlikely they would have made it an exit from Perma, but an entrance in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that is how vox goes out to go do the dirty with her boyfriend naggy which is NOT ALLOWED.
There's no way she can squish through there. Besides, where would they go to hook up? Naggy's car? I mean, Naggy will melt her palace, and she'd probly have some issues in his lair, although maybe the melting is just lube...

Quote:
Last edited by uygi; 08-10-2020 at 09:36 PM..
Old 08-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's no way she can squish through there.
rathe mountains are north of lake rath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Besides, where would they go to hook up? Naggy's car?
yes definitely.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I immediately thought about how you can jump into The Hole and land by Master Yael. Maybe a "dangerous shortcut" was an idea.

If it was going to connect somewhere some day, what the heck could they have thought of connecting it to? Unless it would have just been into Everfrost... perhaps the dungeon was designed before the Everfrost was (by a different dev) and it was there as a connection option? Seems unlikely they would have made it an exit from Perma, but an entrance in...

There's no way she can squish through there. Besides, where would they go to hook up? Naggy's car? I mean, Naggy will melt her palace, and she'd probly have some issues in his lair, although maybe the melting is just lube...
In traditional DnD rules, older dragons can polymorph at will, enabling all sorts of shenanigans in and outside the lair.

Another idea might be that the geometry of the level might have just been rearranged to fit some design need, leaving a formerly connected shaft out there in space.
<Ad Nauseum>

Xwing @aliciousness 60 Hierophant
<Dial a Port>
Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 PM
Fire Giant

Hmm that's an interesting idea. Maybe there were tunnels above Vox in some iteration.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The artist got the dragon colors wrong, but that is most definitely Naggy's car.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

That shaft may be left there by the designer that left the paper trail of "how vox got into that cave" which, I used to ask my friends at the lunch table back in 99.

Here's a great writeup on the lady https://www.writeups.org/lady-vox-everquest/

Editing in this from that link:

The Lady Vox and a fellow Ring of Scale dragon, Lord Nagafen, fell in love — but one of the elements of Nagafen was fire, making theirs a forbidden love. The couple decided to reject all laws of their kind and have a taboo child that would destroy all dragons.

Presumably, they knew from the war against the Sleeper that such a creature would not harm its parents – or perhaps they had a plan to eliminate it after the great war.

However the renegade lovers’s plan was discovered, and they were hunted down by their kind. The couple had a contingency plan and they fled to the continent of Tunaria (later called Antonica) in separate hideouts ; Lady Vox found refuge in the frozen land of Everfrost whilst Lord Nagafen hid in the Lavastorm Mountains.

Quote:
but that is most definitely Naggy's car.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 08-10-2020 at 10:09 PM..
Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Fire Giant

Everyone knows that Kerafym isn't the child of Vox and Nagafen. I don't know if there's a solid explanation for Kerafym's origin.

PoP did have one (or were there two) prismatic dragons, but that really has nothing to do with Norrath at all... presumably they were planar projections or avatars of some type? I dunno.

I recall some people trying to draw connections between Quarm and Kerafym, but TBH the lore of the game had been shat out at random for years at that point, so who cares. AFAIK Luclin, and to a lesser extent LDoN, were the end of even attempting to keep the lore consistent.

Quote:
Closed Thread