Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invoke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't like that there isn't much class distinction at the lower levels. I like having more of the games content available. I'm sure you can see why people find that more desirable.
I like that characters of any class can contribute to most any group. I like it that it doesn't cripple the group to have 3 tanks, or 2 druids, or whatever. I like that the death penalty stings a bit, but only a kneejerk minmaxer* or a dumbass cares enough about the xp loss to worry about a rez while the rest of us just move on and kill more after the CR.

(*) the minmaxer isn't actually there tho, he's off somewhere whining about how boring it is to grind pp to pay for his twinking & PLing.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can pay for PLing, why can't you just drop the extra plat on training your skills up?
The GM route only goes so far. If you were granted a fresh level 60 character, you'd have 300 points available to spend at the GM. If you need to bring up alteration, abjuration, conjuration, divination, and piercing, that's 1140 points to skill up.

(And I could be wrong in this, but I don't think the GM can train Offense, Defense, and Channeling)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like that characters of any class can contribute to most any group. I like it that it doesn't cripple the group to have 3 tanks, or 2 druids, or whatever. I like that the death penalty stings a bit, but only a kneejerk minmaxer* or a dumbass cares enough about the xp loss to worry about a rez while the rest of us just move on and kill more after the CR.

(*) the minmaxer isn't actually there tho, he's off somewhere whining about how boring it is to grind pp to pay for his twinking & PLing.
That's cool. I'm glad you have the option to play that part of the game. Clearly you don't like playing with twinks and minmaxers, so shouldn't you be pro newb quest PLing? That way they can level on by and you never have to play with them.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you define as "skill" in EQ?

The problem is the word - typically when you hear "skill" you think of a basketball player's % to make a shot or a person's hand-eye coordination, or some other physical ability that can be virtually infinitely improved in a certain context.

EQ "skills" are not so. They *basically* plateau immediately. There are a few tiny tricks here and there but it doesn't increase much beyond that point. Once you've practiced soloing big-time mobs with charm or slow/torpor/etc/etc, you really don't get better at it. You just learn nuances of execution against different mobs. That's not really skill so much as it is knowledge.

So when you say there are tons of people who are bad at EQ, it means they lack a pretty basic set of skills; not that they're like "the worst player in the NFL", which is actually pretty damn good in terms of skill.
If it doesn't take skill... why are so many people here so terrible at it?

There's social aspects to it also.... and effort... more things people fail @.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffDaemon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The GM route only goes so far. If you were granted a fresh level 60 character, you'd have 300 points available to spend at the GM. If you need to bring up alteration, abjuration, conjuration, divination, and piercing, that's 1140 points to skill up.

(And I could be wrong in this, but I don't think the GM can train Offense, Defense, and Channeling)
Sorry. I was just going off of the skills that were listed in the post I responded to. I was assuming that there were certain skills that were needed immediately at higher levels and that those could be trained. And I think GMs do train channeling.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

LOL; the only skill needed (from what I hear) is to make sure the poop goes in the sock
Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL; the only skill needed (from what I hear) is to make sure the poop goes in the sock
Depending on what food you've been eating, this can be more difficult then it sounds.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I paid plat to get mine surgically attached.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I paid plat to get mine surgically attached.
banned for RMT
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sadly, I do not believe he was. It goes up pretty fast nowadays. I think they fixed it a few months ago so it doesn't take forever to do...
Yes, I was talking about the skills leveling up. No I was not talking about you needing skills to play the game, yes those help but in the end a monkey can do hand eye coordination.
Rocketing from 4-15 by turn ins will gimp you very badly for some time getting those skills leveled back up.