Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Better dps, better skills, better discs, better mitigation, less down time
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Giant bunch of BS.
Which part is bs? lol
Old 06-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which part is bs? lol
BS = Better Skills
Old 06-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is a toss up between monk and archery ranger....

Overall....ranger wins. For the simple fact that if they get a certain bow, they are able to AE kite from 35-55+. Also, they are just so much nicer to solo with (or duo with mages / wizards / necromancers / anyone else). Monks do GREAT duoing with shamans and clerics and other healers....but a bow ranger can duo with anyone.
For fear that one might think themselves become the messiah, who shall cast down the old teachings with heresy, this is why we don't let low levels loot our rotting dragons. Bows are not good.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Aviak

Rangers are a ranged class, not melee.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Forgive them, Father. They know not what they type.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Decaying Skeleton

can i ask about gear for newbie ranger?

i only have 1000pp and i dunno what i need

some advice about armor and weapon all about..

my ranger lv9 .. plz some advice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Planar Protector

Why the hell would you spend a bunch of cash on MoSS over something like PWC?

Cause you are dumb, maybe, and don't know what you are talking about?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For fear that one might think themselves become the messiah, who shall cast down the old teachings with heresy, this is why we don't let low levels loot our rotting dragons. Bows are not good.
You are scared of the power of archers!

The problem is you think only in terms of the single issue of "who does more DPS in a situation where they have a healer or tank sitting there".

But the game is far more than that! Snaring things on an enchanter! Off healing to help save someone! Rooting and backing up! Archering a caster mob from further than it can cast!

I would go against any equal level monk in our ability to solo stuff. I could kill things far stronger than they could dream of with my bow, easily.

Also! For the record! I got my dragons bow at about level 46! Completely level appropriate!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But bows are objectively terrible DPS. Archery is overall objectively terrible until Luclin.
You fool!!! Archery is one of the strongest forces in Norrath! I do about the same damage with my swords as I do with my bow in a group....if I go trueshot, I go far beyond that!

Sure I don't have a self haste / epic....but my weapons aren't so shabby.

Cecily can tell you! Yesterday we teamed up and I was demonstrating the power of the bendy branch fighting foragers in trakanon's teeth.

Which is a perfect example, a "normal" ranger trying to just sit and melee down a forager solo wouldn't be able to make it. But I, as an archer, could kill them easily and at a good pace.

Cecily, 5 levels higher (60 vs 55) and max hasted to 90% haste (compared to my self 50% bow haste) with her using epic weapon and some other super great high end weaponry.....compared to me using my skydarkener..... she killed it at double the rate I did (but my mob was rooted! So I lost my double bow damage bonus!).

I think once I catch up in levels and equipment, that would be a lot closer (still, it isn't so bad considering I don't have downtime and can do it safely....even at 60, Cecily was getting pretty hurt, I don't think a normal melee ranger at my level with normal equipment would have been able to do it without rooting and backing up to heal mid-fight).

Basically.....bows are awesome, archery is awesome, everyone should be an archer and be awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cecily's results are interesting. There are numbers. Facts. Not feelings based on how "awesome" things are. I didn't realize they had fixed the worn haste issue. That surely helps. I'd also like to see how a 60 Ranger would do bow kiting vs melee at comparable weapon levels.
I also would like to see how a 60 ranger with rallos zek bow and sky cloak stacks up :3

Quote:
I don't have a problem with you playing how you want, but people come here for facts. Even a 5% differential in DPS would be huge.
It depends in what scenario. If you are fighting a high end raid boss, then yea "maximum DPS till it dies or we die!!" is the strategy while tanks tank and clerics cleric. If you are interested in min/maximum DPS for end game raid encounter, why are you playing a ranger (other than the group buff, but a raid only needs 1 ranger then)? :|

Still, the ONLY way a ranger is competing with monks / rogues at raid level bosses is by using a bow-like weapon and their trueshot for 2 minutes of glory. And even then, a rogue is gonna win :P

Luckily! There is a huge game outside of just the highest end raids and min/max DPS in a tank and spank encounter!

Soloing, small groups, even just casual hunting in a group a bow can decently keep up (but still, likely a bit better dps to jump in and melee if someone else is tanking / healing....and less work).

Like going to plane of mischief as a ranger, where enchanters and druids use charmed pets to tank most of the time....a bow is pretty handy to being able to contribute there.

Basically, bows are awesome! Especially for a young ranger leveling up....unless you are mega twinked, you aren't going to be able to solo better than if you put in a bit of effort and get at LEAST a trueshot. If you can get a light velium or huntsmans bow by 35, you will be fine (especially if you get a nice quiver and a nice cheap held haste item).

If you have 100k+ for super twinking and fungi and stuff.....then I would still put it into getting the loot rights to a skydarkener ASAP (procs at 35 I hear). You get that and you can solo up to 50 better than any melee twinked ranger (since you will be AE kiting non-stop :P). But that is just if we are talking about "twink melee ranger vs twink archer ranger".....archer ranger still wins :P
Closed Thread