Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior melee aggro is just horrible. In fact with current proc rates I would almost go so far as to say that for XP groups warriors are a broken class without serious dex gear. I did 5str/20sta for my warrior, if I had to do it over again i'd do 10sta/15 dex. Get dex buffs from a shaman whenever possible. At 50, the average fight with a group will last about 1 minute. With 125 dex and 2 proccing weapons, I get a proc which will usually hold aggro about every 40 seconds. So that means I'm tanking 2/3 of the time.

From 1-40, just use a Staff of Battle since 1H dps is crap and all the proccing weapons with good ratios won't proc.

From 40-50 you will begin to suck as a warrior due to no skill increases. For max aggro go double yak club.

From 50-60 the standard combination is Sarnak Warhammer/Silken Whip of Ensnaring. It's reasonable aggro/dps but -5AC is kind of annoying.

If you are super rich go RMoY/BotBDE (expect to shell out 300k).

Warrior weapon selection blows compared to monks who can get a tstaff for 50k.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Banned

i'm an ogre war and put all my stats into dex at creation. I have no issue holding agro with two proc weapons and i'm not talking about botbde etc. I just use sarnak hammer/silken whip.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

So ,this tread has been good ,a lot of info .my question what's a pally to use to tank/dps 1h & 2h.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by izule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So ,this tread has been good ,a lot of info .my question what's a pally to use to tank/dps 1h & 2h.
1H and shield + their OP spells to keep aggro.

SK - Ebon Mace, Noctivant Blade, MoSS are popular.

Paladin - Sword of the Mourning and maybe other stuff but paladins are few and far between.

They both do well with their epics too!
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Banned

Paladins mainly use spells but sword of mourning is good it has a stun proc, rod or mourning/lamentation are good 2hb with procs.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Sarnak

This is my knowledge from back in the day and I can't really say how applicable all of it is here, but I know most of it is still true:

- Melee aggro is determined by the raw damage stat on your weapon so that when you swing, you generate an amount of aggro determined by the damage of your weapon, not the damage you end up dealing. You generate the same amount whether you hit or miss, and extra damage from strength doesn't make a difference.

- Faster weapons do not inherently generate more aggro, but many of the best weapons happen to be in the faster end. It's also easier to lose aggro between swings if you swing every three seconds compared to twice a second, even if you generate the same amount of "threat per second." This led to the illusion that faster weapons were better when in reality they just produce a more even level of aggro instead of spiky aggro. Over the course of a fight, it's the same if the weapons have comparable ratios.

- Assuming an appropriately geared warrior and not someone with shit weapons or absolute endgame gear, melee DPS accounts for roughly 60-70% of your aggro if you have appropriate proc weapons. The procs are what put you ahead of actual DPS classes (hopefully). You can't really tank consistently with weapons that don't proc, but some people remember fairy-tales of how they held aggro with lammies or jade maces when the fact is that they were simply grouped with DPS that had worse weapons and thus allowed the warrior to hold aggro by simply doing better DPS.

- You don't want just any proc. It has to have some high-aggro component, usually a stun and sometimes a simple '+x aggro' gain (think Enraging Blow). A straight damage or DoT proc won't generate very much aggro unless it deals so much damage that the amount of damage itself is significant aggro, but that's rarely the case for warrior weapons. Bloodpoints aren't good tank weapons, for instance, because they just proc a 45pt lifetap which generates the same amount of threat as any other nuke for 45 damage, i.e not much.

Aggro/taunt works like this:

Whoever is the first to enter a mob's aggro list will be the initial target of that mob. To overtake whoever currently has aggro, you need to then have some amount of aggro above that player before the mob will switch targets. This is why being the first to aggro a mob is a good thing if you want to tank it and a bad thing if you don't. I don't know how much more aggro you actually need to overtake the current tank, but I would estimate that it's something like 20% more.

Let's say Bob the Warrior pulls a mob and hits it a few times. He now has 100 aggro.

Joe the Rogue commences stabbing the mob and does more DPS than the warrior, putting him at 110 aggro.

The mob is still on Bob because it would take 120 aggro for it to change targets. Once it does so, however, that player is in trouble because Bob then has to generate a great deal of extra aggro to get the mob back. If Jill the Wizard drops a big nuke and ends up at 150 aggro, Bob would have to get up to 180 before the mob would turn back on him. If Joe doesn't stop DPSing in the meantime, he'll arrive there before and the mob will hit him instead. This is why, when the tank loses aggro, the mob will typically go through several targets who were above the warrior on the aggro list before he can get it back. The guy who takes aggro doesn't just get himself killed, he might get the entire cleric line mowed down as well.

Fortunately, Bob can taunt the mob. If he succeeds, he is placed 1 point of aggro above whoever is at the top of the list, and the mob forcibly changes target to Bob. It circumvents the mechanic that would normally require him to get 20% more aggro than the current holder and simply makes the mob target him no matter what, but he still has only 1 point more than Jill so she better not keep nuking or history will repeat itself.

So, over the course of a long fight, the warrior's proc weapons will generally ensure that he maintains a level of aggro that's high enough to prevent the DPS from taking aggro, but it's difficult in the beginning of the fight because it takes so little to turn the mob. Once the aggro numbers are in the tens of thousands, nobody can take aggro with a big nuke or something because there's a very large buffer, they'd have to keep building aggro ahead of the warrior for a while before they'd surpass 120%.
Last edited by Noselacri; 04-06-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Kobold

Trochillic Skean has been great in the offhand so far.

Just wondering, what would be better for off hand, RMoY of TSkean, because the initial post has TSkean as the number 3 and RMoY unrated.
Freddee Bearfoot - 60 Halfling Druid
Spooee Bearfoot - 60 Halfling Cleric
<Vanquish>
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 AM
Aviak

There have always been rumours that Ykesha procs had a 25% higher proc rate than ordinary procs (i.e. 2.5 PPM if default is 2 PPM, not sure if that's the actual default PPM) which was what made them such good weapons. I can't remember if that was just SSoY, though, but I suspect it would be for all Ykesha weapons if it was there at all. If it is, that'd be a strong argument for RMoY. It also has a considerably better ratio.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Sarnak

Yaks have both a nuke and a stun, which is basically 2 procs in one and generally made it preferable to everything else out there because of that. Eventually the raw hate procs took over as the most preferable with the Damage+Stun procs taking a close second.
<Divinity>
Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie1056 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trochillic Skean has been great in the offhand so far.

Just wondering, what would be better for off hand, RMoY of TSkean, because the initial post has TSkean as the number 3 and RMoY unrated.
Personally think RMoY is better, the Skean doesn't have great snap aggro like the mace tends to.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Closed Thread