Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Orc

Question Windows 10 Upgrade? Will it impact P99?

Not incredibly computer knowledgeable. With the free Windows 10 Upgrade coming at the end of the month, is it a bad idea for P99 players?

Just curious if I should avoid it from a P99/Connection stand point [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks for feedback.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Banned

it will most likely not impact us
Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 PM
Fire Giant

I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I used winxp (and still use winxp) on systems that have less than 4g of ram, because, why add overhead?

Haven't used any windows more recent than 7, switching from xp->7 certainly caused me some (minor) eq issues such as the UAC popup blackscreening EQ and the like (Fixable, disable the UAC dim effect!).

I haven't used windows more recent than 7, but if you like having the newer windows, I'd give it a month for the public to report all the bugs so you don't have to deal with it while trying to use your PC. If you have the option to wait to upgrade, that is.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:10 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I've been playing on Windows 10 since I started on p99 a month or so ago. I've played on 4 or 5 builds now with very few dramas. In fact, only a single drama, there was no sound on earlier Windows 10 builds. I'm currently running 10240 and still no dramas playing it.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Orc

Sweet, thanks for the feedback guys
Old 07-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I used winxp (and still use winxp) on systems that have less than 4g of ram, because, why add overhead?
Security. If your worried about overhead install Linux.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsorgen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Security. If your worried about overhead install Linux.
That's true, unfortunately there's quite a few things I use which don't play nicely with linux. I sell extra bandwidth and CPU power and they only support Mac/Win so I have little choice in what to use in my fancy dvd-playing boxes I leave running under a few TVs

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrtonian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been playing on Windows 10 since I started on p99 a month or so ago. I've played on 4 or 5 builds now with very few dramas. In fact, only a single drama, there was no sound on earlier Windows 10 builds. I'm currently running 10240 and still no dramas playing it.
How did you make the sound work? My computer just updated to Windows 10 and i can only hear music playing in certain areas inside Neriak, but nothing else.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Fire Giant

My monitor's resolution is 2560x1600. When I run Everquest in Windows 7 I set the resolution for both full screen and windowed mode to 1920x1200, because even at chatfontsize 5 my text is too small at 2560. The windowed mode at 1920 would fill my entire monitor, and the text would become easily read. Unfortunately, since installing Windows 10 this behavior has changed. Everquest no longer fills the entire screen when it is set to a lower resolution than what Windows is set to. It now only fills a corner of the screen. As a work around I have set both windows and Everquest resolution to 1920x1200 and it is now playable/readable.