Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm okay with Win10. Been using it for a while now. Nice and clean and combines metro/non-metro elements into one OS.

I can see myself using it as my primary work OS.

Most games aren't going to phase out DX9 support for a while. It's a rendering engine like OpenGL and there is no incompatibilities that say, 'we can't support this because it's too much work' at this time.

FFXIV has a DX11 and a DX9 rendering engine for example. DX11 obviously looks better.

She gets it.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why does Microsoft think it's a big selling point that you can ask Windows 10 "will I need an umbrella tomorrow?" and it replies that you probably shouldn't? Do people actually see that commercial and think "omfg, I MUST HAVE THIS NEW WINDOWS CAUSE IT ALSO HAS SHITTY SIRI CLONE TECHNOLOGY!!!"?

Get bent, Microsoft. That's no technological marvel any more than the kitchen of the future in those old black-and-white 50s infomercials was remotely like our kitchens today. Teach all my devices to sync themselves and be controlled with ease through the same interface with minimal effort on my part and without significant security risk and at reasonable cost, and then we can talk about how you're going to be the reason why my kids will experience technology I can't even dream of.

Sidenote - Weathermen don't know shit anyways. Must have been 5 times already this summer that the weather channel claimed there was a "100% chance of rain" in the next X period of time, only to see that period of time pass and it's mostly sunny at my house the whole time.

Rabble rabble.
Windows 10 is an improvement over 8. I'll admit I hated Windows 8 until i downloaded the 3rd party start menu. I avoided downloading more classical things because the start menu was the priority. Still, there're a lot of issues it has, last I tried it. I've used it a fair amount. The main thing was how Metro merges with everything else. It was clumsy. And if you're not familiar with Apps (like on mobiles or tablets) it can be very confusing. For example, the first couple times Apps executed, I didin't know how to close them. I had to experiment for a while before I figured out to click the top part and move it to the bottom of the screen. And of course I hated Apps--so damn confusing; no traditional menus and so many stupid unfamiliar icons.

But honestly if I got a new system I'd absolutely get Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 (if it was on sale or something?). Even if there're some things I don't like, I can probably find downloads for that. I do have concerns the mobile market is making it hard for a keyboard/mouse user like myself, but it's far from game over. There're usually options.

I think the Siri-Cortana-Google Now thing is cool. Ya it's overdone and maybe premature, but I think there's some good ideas going on. An intelligent assistant seems good on paper. But I imagine it's easy to get it wrong.

And being able to say "computer restart" or "start everquest" or asking questions while playing a game might be cool. But it's only cool if it's seamless and doesn't require technical knowledge. I just don't know if we're there yet.

I think the touch-screen thing is the same, but it's ready and has been for a while. I just don't use it. The touch screen thing makes sense to me if a person uses mobiles/tablets a lot. It merges keyboard/mouse into the screen to reduce space requirements.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 07-27-2015 at 01:33 AM..
Old 07-27-2015, 01:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Windows 10 is an improvement over 8. I'll admit I hated Windows 8 until i downloaded the 3rd party start menu. I avoided downloading more classical things because the start menu was the priority. Still, there're a lot of issues it has, last I tried it. I've used it a fair amount. The main thing was how Metro merges with everything else. It was clumsy. And if you're not familiar with Apps (like on mobiles or tablets) it can be very confusing. For example, the first couple times Apps executed, I didin't know how to close them. I had to experiment for a while before I figured out to click the top part and move it to the bottom of the screen. And of course I hated Apps--so damn confusing; no traditional menus and so many stupid unfamiliar icons.

But honestly if I got a new system I'd absolutely get Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 (if it was on sale or something?). Even if there're some things I don't like, I can probably find downloads for that. I do have concerns the mobile market is making it hard for a keyboard/mouse user like myself, but it's far from game over. There're usually options.

The real battle is between power users and everyday users. I think Windows 10 is much closer to a balance.
What apps do you really need to use that you cant just download the actual program for? Only switched to 8.1 about 2 months ago and just installed everything like normal after getting the start menu shell. Feels just like 7 to me now after going through some setting changes. i dont even ever see the metro screen. Only annoying part of 8 is not being able to remove the logging in with password everything you boot up the PC.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What apps do you really need to use that you cant just download the actual program for? Only switched to 8.1 about 2 months ago and just installed everything like normal after getting the start menu shell. Feels just like 7 to me now after going through some setting changes. i dont even ever see the metro screen. Only annoying part of 8 is not being able to remove the logging in with password everything you boot up the PC.
I can't remember how the apps came up. Maybe I accidentally clicked on them or maybe not. I also had some friends accidentally start apps and not know how to close them. Far as Metro goes, I enver installed anyting to get rid of it. So everytime I booted Windows 8, it'd go to Metro. And everytime I was at the desktop and moved my mouse to left corner, something relating to Metro will come up. And there were some things I only knew how to do in Metro.

That's all I really didn't like about Windows 8: no start menu, metro and apps. But like I said, if you download the start menu, it's forgiveable and easy enough to ignore everything else.

I even tried some old games on Widnows 8 and they worked fine. I had to experiment with the monitor settings though to get some games to show right. I also didn't like the extreme widescreen so found a way to make it more square.

That's another thing... I hate these widescreen monitors. Thankfully, there's a setting for it. I do not get why people like them? I like to see everyting in front of me. With widescreens, I gotta strain my neck to see everyting.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 07-27-2015 at 01:50 AM..
Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only annoying part of 8 is not being able to remove the logging in with password everything you boot up the PC.
enter 'control userpasswords2' (no space between the 's' and '2') in the Run dialog, click onto Advanced and uncheck the 'Require users to press CTRL ALT DELETE' checkbox.

Should allow the auto logon.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

type netplwiz , run it

uncheck that you need to login at boot
you'll get promted with username/password

enter your credentials there, and you'll auto login to windows each time computer starts
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

the only reason microsoft didnt go bankrupt 10-years ago is because the US government invested in them for their systems. every government office uses windows machines, and due to compatibility issues with apple, most US businesses and foreign governments bought into it too.
windows 10 is just another way for these jerks to keep their customer-base dependent on their software, and the next "upgrade" i make is going to be in the direction of UNIX. im still using windows 8, and maybe its because i am familiar with win 95/98/xp/vista that i have NEVER felt the need to "upgrade", even to 8.1
i hear people complaining about windows 8 all the time, but it seems like the only real problem anyone can ever come up with is the full-screen start menu overlay (which i think is genius and nicely responsive)
/rant

P.S. - fuck these capitalist bastards
Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

There's no alternative. Maybe if Windows never existed there would be a Linux distro or Mac that could play all games (pretend directx never existed) and they'd all be using OpenGL.

But there isn't - and we are stuck with Windows or dual booting Windows.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why does Microsoft think it's a big selling point that you can ask Windows 10 "will I need an umbrella tomorrow?" and it replies that you probably shouldn't? Do people actually see that commercial and think "omfg, I MUST HAVE THIS NEW WINDOWS CAUSE IT ALSO HAS SHITTY SIRI CLONE TECHNOLOGY!!!"?

Get bent, Microsoft. That's no technological marvel any more than the kitchen of the future in those old black-and-white 50s infomercials was remotely like our kitchens today. Teach all my devices to sync themselves and be controlled with ease through the same interface with minimal effort on my part and without significant security risk and at reasonable cost, and then we can talk about how you're going to be the reason why my kids will experience technology I can't even dream of.

Sidenote - Weathermen don't know shit anyways. Must have been 5 times already this summer that the weather channel claimed there was a "100% chance of rain" in the next X period of time, only to see that period of time pass and it's mostly sunny at my house the whole time.

Rabble rabble.
Disclosure of Data

We will share your data with your consent, including as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service you have requested or authorized.

We share some data collected in connection with the Program with third parties. For example, we may share data about the performance of a particular hardware or software component on your device with the manufacturer of that component to enable them to improve how their component works with Microsoft products and services.

We may share or disclose information about you with other Microsoft controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with vendors or agents working on our behalf. For example, companies we've hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal information in order to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy requirements and are not allowed to use the information for any other purpose. We may also disclose information about you as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.

We may also access, disclose and preserve information about you when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process from competent authorities, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;

protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud Microsoft’s customers, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;

operate and maintain the security of our products and services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or

protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services—however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our products or services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

Computers are dumb and should be hated.
Closed Thread