Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

Default Is Tigeraptor armor worth the price for a Ranger?

Looking to gear another Ranger in the future, the choice is between buying for an 8-piece showing set of Tigeraptor armor (helm, chest, gloves, legs, boots, arms, and one bracer), or just saving the money and questing for a full set of Ivy Etched (one bracer with a Hero's Bracer as the second).

Though the stats on Tigeraptor seem nice, as does the weight, the raw AC on it seems a bit low for a Ranger set (not unexpected for Leather, but still). Ivy Etched has much better AC and would cost significantly less to quest out, albeit would take a bit of time and running around. I'd likely have my JBoots by then, so my Paladin could probably tough it out.

There are no good Cultural armor sets for a Ranger it seems, so these are my two realistic choices (if I want to use a Ranger's only set, at least).
Old 06-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Kobold

My first time seriously playing a ranger is on green so understand that I might be way off . I plan on getting tiger-raptor armor simply for the sake of it/collecting. I think it's better to just get ivy etched and save your money for better pieces.

One thing I do imagine is that since rangers will probably be using panic animal to solo, you don't need to stack as much AC. Stats like str/dex/wis might be more valuable in that scenario.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd likely have my JBoots by then
Wait ... not to derail, but ... why bother with JBoots on a Ranger? You get SoW.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... I'd likely have my JBoots by then, so my Paladin could probably tough it out. ...
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-11-2020, 12:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait ... not to derail, but ... why bother with JBoots on a Ranger? You get SoW.
I'll likely have my JBoots on my Paladin by then, so I can tough out all the running around required for Ivy Etched.

I'm just trying to figure out if the stats on Tigeraptor justify its cost (and its lack of AC).
Old 06-11-2020, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'll likely have my JBoots on my Paladin by then, so I can tough out all the running around required for Ivy Etched.

I'm just trying to figure out if the stats on Tigeraptor justify its cost (and its lack of AC).
That makes significantly more sense [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That makes significantly more sense [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, my gut is telling me Tigeraptor isn't worth the price for a Ranger. Black Pantherskin is excellent for a Monk, but a Ranger really wants more AC than what Tigeraptor offers, stats be damned.

I think I'll save the money and just quest for a set of Ivy Etched, and maybe Lambent as well for later.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Sarnak

I mean what's the reasoning on your wanting full suits? Apart from the arm and bp peices on ivy I wouldn't even consider wearing any of it on blue. With the money you are looking to spend on a set of tiger raptor, you could buy all kinds of decent peices. Hell crystal chitin armor would be better off if it's fashion based, more ac than ivy as well. Some of the tiger raptor peices are good tho, bp-boots-cloak. The stats on those are really hard to beat, and the AC doesn't even seem like a huge factor if you aren't tanking. Just my thought on the whole thing.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartanin63 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean what's the reasoning on your wanting full suits? Apart from the arm and bp peices on ivy I wouldn't even consider wearing any of it on blue. With the money you are looking to spend on a set of tiger raptor, you could buy all kinds of decent peices. Hell crystal chitin armor would be better off if it's fashion based, more ac than ivy as well. Some of the tiger raptor peices are good tho, bp-boots-cloak. The stats on those are really hard to beat, and the AC doesn't even seem like a huge factor if you aren't tanking. Just my thought on the whole thing.
For fashion and roleplaying, mostly. If I'm going to wear a class-specific armor, I want the full set just to make it feel complete. I.E full Ivy Etched for a Ranger, full Armor of Ro for a Paladin, full Lambent for a Bard, etc. Same thing applies with raid armor, full Valorium, full Thorny Vine, etc.

I don't like mixing and match a silly mishmash of items unless they're just filler slots with no graphical influence, like shoulders, neck, waist, etc.

Ideally, when I eventually start my Ranger again, it'll have the following items, give or take:

Full Ivy Etched Armor (2 Bracers)
Obulus Death Shroud
Crystal Spider Eyes
Sash of the Dragonborn
Dire Wolf-Hide Cloak
Chipped Velium Amulet
Orc Fang Earring x2
Velium Fire Wedding Ring x2
Lamentation x2
Rain Caller

I don't know if that would be considered "twinked" but it should see me through to 60 at least.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 06-11-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Code:
 (visible slot, single bracer)
   Ivy etched | Tigeraptor
AC       83 | 63
Str       7 | 28
Hp       30 | 15
Weight 26.1 | 14.6
I'm a massive fan of AC so if I had to pick one set it would be Ivy Etched, especially as that is the quintessential ranger armour for me (my ranger wore it for a long time).

BUT the str-weight of the tigeraptor is really tempting. Unlike ivy etched it actually increases your loot capacity (i.e. it works towards making it's cost back!)

Fashionwise I think Ivy Etched better advertises your class, and you seem to strongly weight fashion decisions so it may be worth doing that. IMHO Tigeraptor is a thing for bored 60s that already maxed tailoring might decide farm for an alt / to pass the time.

May I suggest an alternate armour?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Ry%60Gorr_Chain_Armor

A single bracer visible set gives 76 AC, 15 str and 25 hp (note the set lacks boots), only weighting 16.7, making it a decent compromise between the armours you are already considering. It also shares a graphic (though not necessarily tint), with kael and thurg quest armour, means you can plan a cohesive appearance for your characters progression.
Closed Thread