Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

I'm in the crowd of people that enjoy the journey, enjoy leveling up alts, love grouping, and I don't need to max out my character to have fun. It will take a long long time before I get bored of pre Kunark EQ, and I may never get bored of it. In the end, people who don't need to progress to be happy, are the people that will stay when it stops progressing.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But, above all, it's a popular vote that does the dictating.
I was unaware that this was a Democracy. My understanding is it is a benevolent dictatorship under the rule of the Dev's. Remember, it's THEIR world now...
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Orc

please for the love of all holy in the everquest lands keep the server classic like it states. I really hope the devs use the verant motto *You're in our world* if you don't like it.. leave.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawnseg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure they kill Nagafen due to the overpower of mages and manastones. I don't even think they had a bard for resists... so that means Nagafen isn't like live or the classes they took are overpowered.
I enjoy baseless conjecturing as much as the next guy, but try and have at least SOME information to go off of before shitting on a whole group of dedicated players accomplishments.

There was maaaaybe 1 or 2 mages on the raid, and manastones were primarily used to help lower the time required to buff everyone (which still took forever). The Naggy kill was legit and well-done. Nagafen is as close as possible to live, completely MR and FR and still extremely difficult, but we had been collecting FR/MR gear since we started leveling, and it's not like the fight requires a brand new strategy.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Aviak

i actually dont remember a mage being there to be honest... sorry if i forgot you lol
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Kobold

I hope I did not offend Inglourious Basterds with my post about population/attendees to the Naggy kill. It was not my intention at all.

I was mentioning how few people you'd triumphed with as a good thing for the server if it were to remain low population and stating that population shouldn't be a factor in deciding when Kunark opens. Reference to IBs was just to show that people are still skilled enough to accomplish goals even with fewer people, and absolutely nothing more.

The Manastone comment (the one I made, that is) was just the harmless prank of a charming rascal.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...it will take a long long time before I get bored of pre Kunark EQ, and I may never get bored of it...
12 months was way too little time for an average person to enjoy the original content. As a lifelong gamer I consider this short period one of the great tragedies of the Nintendo generation.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Fire Giant

I hope the lowbies get the opportunity to level up and do some naggy/vox/hate/fear before they release kunark.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Skeleton

i dont think enough people take into consideration how big the world is and how small the population is ... almost 300 ? if all almost 300 of that is 50 then fine, but thats not likely.

i dont think this game can even survive velious ... sure maybe a few cliques can enjoy it ... but there will be near no pick up groups due to how spread out everyone is over the entire world

as it is rigth now, zones that were once packed are empty, everyone s segregated to a few zones to level ... if i want to go to uguk i have to take a group there ... i cant go there and LFG ... this server needs to stay classic , till it has a population to move to kunark

if it doesnt have a populatio to support whats current , how can it move forward ... your best bet for kunark and velious would be to try and spread the word ... if more people dont come , we dont get new content ... and thats the bottom line
Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont think enough people take into consideration how big the world is and how small the population is ... almost 300 ? if all almost 300 of that is 50 then fine, but thats not likely.

i dont think this game can even survive velious ... sure maybe a few cliques can enjoy it ... but there will be near no pick up groups due to how spread out everyone is over the entire world

as it is rigth now, zones that were once packed are empty, everyone s segregated to a few zones to level ... if i want to go to uguk i have to take a group there ... i cant go there and LFG ... this server needs to stay classic , till it has a population to move to kunark

if it doesnt have a populatio to support whats current , how can it move forward ... your best bet for kunark and velious would be to try and spread the word ... if more people dont come , we dont get new content ... and thats the bottom line
People can play solo classes, but I think you got a big big point. When they designed the classes, the zones, the gameplay, the economy, everything, they designed it for a much larger population than what project1999 can realistically support even in the best circumstances.

Going back to classic is great, but not unless you can either: a) change the design to reflect the lower population b) increase your population to meet the specifications of the design. Is there a C? That's up to the community. I believe that if the community comes together much more than they did in 1999 to keep this server strong despite its low population then there's a chance that it might work, but we'll all be swimming upstream.

Most of us are going to start out as a solo-based class and work our way up. Some won't. Some will grow frustrated because of bugs and empty zones. We're going to have to reach out to everyone out there from level 1 on up and give them a hand even when the temptation of hoarding our wealth presents itself. Sine we're all very much aware of the design constraints of classic eq, perhaps we can use this knowledge to better educate everyone and work together in ways we might otherwise have overlooked had we not known.

Get the word out, but do it safely: respect soe, respect the live eq servers (don't advertise on them or on the official servers). If someone specifically brings up classic eq or something related to it, you can send them a pm in the forums to find out whether they're interested. No matter what happens, unfortunately, it looks like this project is very dependent on eqemulator.net. If that site cannot get people playing then it'll have a corresponding effect here.

One advantage that project1999 has is that it's resurrecting a time in EQ's history that, for the most part, no longer exists. It can use this to its advantage to give players an experience unlike most others they're familiar with in the everquest community. This I think might help to compensate for its present design issues and bugs. On the other hand, this is also its flaw. Redesigning it to reflect this lower population would automatically make it unworthy of this distinction. It would essentially be our own subjective viewpoint of what everquest was in 1999. So people wouldn't come here for the context; the historical value. Despite this, it may be that altering the design turns out to be the only workable alternative, but I hope this is not the case and that we can somehow prove it all wrong.
Last edited by stormlord; 11-11-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Closed Thread