Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Greetings!

Hello everyone, Played for a bit (don't even remember what server I was on) Basically just ran around and felt the nostalgia.

Looking for a bit of nostalgia again, but I think I may want to stick around and put some real time into it. Played this back around 1999 when I was younger haha, never really got anywhere. Tried the newest EQ.. and it didn't have the same draw as this one did for me back in the day.

Anyway, I want to play as a Shaman what should I pick as race and what should I set my stats too? Been so long lol. Kinda want to go Barbarian as that's what I used to play as, well either barb shaman or Iksar monk. Thinking I'm gonna play on Blue server (I've pvp'd in so many games I'm kind of Pvp'd out now)

Anyway any tips/advice are greatly appreciated!

Glad to see this is still up as well, and my account still exists haha.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

If you're starting fresh, and not looking to pvp, you actually have three options:
• Blue: a 10-year-old server; has been in Velious for some number of years; population is probably a bit top-heavy; but has a lot of good items available for cheap in EC.
• Green: a 2-month-old server; in Vanilla (pre-Kunark) currently and will progress through Velious; larger population than Blue.
• Teal: a clone of Green that's exactly the same but something like 20% fewer players. I'd say it's exactly the same age, but technically it's 2 weeks younger; but the overall population is at the same approximate level range because character transfers from Green were allowed during the first couple weeks of Teal.

Note that Teal and Green are supposed to merge by Kunark (~October 2020), unless the staff change their minds about that.

Other players may have different info/impressions/opinions on the three servers.

-----

Regarding your quest for shaman info, the topic of shaman race has been hashed and re-hashed literally dozens of times. I do recommend you search these forums for "shaman race" or "shaman race regen troll iksar barbarian ogre" or "shaman frontal stun immunity" or whatever terms you may be interested in. The info has already been thoroughly digested by the Project 1999 community via hundreds of pages of debate over the last 10 years, so please take advantage of it.

Welcome back and enjoy your time.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding your quest for shaman info, the topic of shaman race has been hashed and re-hashed literally dozens of times. I do recommend you search these forums for "shaman race" or "shaman race regen troll iksar barbarian ogre" or "shaman frontal stun immunity" or whatever terms you may be interested in. The info has already been thoroughly digested by the Project 1999 community via hundreds of pages of debate over the last 10 years, so please take advantage of it.

Welcome back and enjoy your time.
Will do, though I'm crazy and will probably go with Barbarian regardless haha.

Thanks for the server info as well!

You know, maybe I will go Ogre Shaman, since I never really played an ogre and that stun immunity sounds mighty helpful. Though I do have the nostalgia glasses for Barb.

Also, When I played this game back then I was probably 10-11 so I never really got anywhere so I'll pretty much just be screwing around and probably mostly solo because I'm pretty much going in at a noob knowledge level haha. If anyone is interested in playing with this giant noob, please; let me know! This game was always more fun when I was able to find my way into a group!
Last edited by BonshanKhan; 01-05-2020 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Didn't want to double post.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Ah, I wanted to edit that last post again (I don't like double posting) but it seems I cant so apologies.

Does it really matter what I stick those extra starting stats into? I can't find any information on that at least in regards to an Ogre Shaman (Which is what I decided to start with, wish me luck!) Though I am still searching.

Haha did find something on here. Seems Wisdom is the way to go and being my first guy I'm not trying to super min/max or whatever and it seems adding +5 to agi isn't a terrible idea.

Thanks again Videri!
Last edited by BonshanKhan; 01-05-2020 at 11:04 PM..
Old 01-06-2020, 04:06 AM
Planar Protector

This forum only lets us edit posts within 30 min or so.

You will be fine putting points in wisdom, but perhaps one of the shaman players can weigh in on that. I've never mained a shaman.

Regarding agility - most people do say to get your agility to 75 to avoid the AC penalty that comes with sub-75 agility. Most people seem to think it's not worth raising agility beyond that - unless you're planning to wear a fungus covered scale tunic, which reduces agility by 10...but you're a shaman, so you can buff your agility if you want, or wear some +agility items, I suppose.

Anyway, for real, you should get an actual shaman's advice on this. XD Good luck!

Also, if you play on Blue or Green, consider joining <Castle>. There are plenty of people who can answer questions in our guild chat. Also, since we have no level requirement, you'll be able to find people to group with. Perhaps a comparable guild exists on Teal.
Last edited by Videri; 01-06-2020 at 04:08 AM..
Old 01-09-2020, 05:43 PM
Large Bat

Castle sounds really awesome, but I'm on Teal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Is anyone aware of a large grouping / leveling focused guild on Teal?
Closed Thread