Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:40 AM
Aviak

Default Bard kiting/strafing keystrokes question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurin View Post
Real question- why would you use sow to aoe kite? I always found strafing in big circles to be the best method. Honestly I don’t know how sow would help really. You still have to be within aoe range.

Seriously, this is the best method I’ve found: run around (w/ Selos) and gather 20-25 mobs and drag them to your aoe spot. Circle around until mobs are all clumped together tight. Click off Selos, start strafing, hit enter twice and then you are locked into strafe mode. Hot key whatever your best dots as 1-2-3 or whatever and then use right mouse to turn while strafing. Cycle through dot hotkeys and if you see damage to mobs then you’re in the right aoe range.

If you’re not hitting them, make your circle a little tighter (takes some practice- try it with just a mob or two until you get it down). No need for sow or any other speed enhancers- strafing is fast enough to outrun mist normal mobs.

I've been tinkering with a lowbie Bard for a bit now, and seized upon precisely this method mentioned above. HOWEVER... I cannot 'lock in' the strafe run. I can auto-run, but not auto-strafe, even just strafing, much less in combination with running forward to give the diagonal pattern needed for this kiting technique. I'm sure it comes down to how I have my keys set up. After deep diving into these threads, I have yet to come up with a definitive answer to satisfy my old crusty brain.

I'm using WASD for general movement; have strafe set at Q(left) and E(right) so I can hold either in combination with W to achieve that diagonal strafe. My sausage fingers are perfectly capable of holding both with a single digit, so I can hit hotkeys to maintain DoT, and/or whatever else I may need. Using mouselook to turn slightly, outward/away from the strafe to generate the circle. I can get it pretty tight this way, and have had success, but I keep seeing mentions and vids of folks being able to 'lock' into the diagonal strafe similar to auto-run. For obvious reasons, this would make it SO much incredibly easier.
I've tried same method while maintaining Selo's in the twist, and while buffed with SoW, and I can't make it work. The diagaonal strafe running speed works perfectly fine for what I've been using it upon so far: grizzlys, wisps, bandits, lions, wolves, etc.

So all that typing to essentially ask the question: How do I lock in running forward AND strafing?
My apologies for taking so long to get to that point, but I feel like the context will help provide a proper answer- especially from those with Barding experience.

Thanks so much peeps. I appreciate all the wisdom being shared here.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBStrong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So all that typing to essentially ask the question: How do I lock in running forward AND strafing?
My apologies for taking so long to get to that point, but I feel like the context will help provide a proper answer- especially from those with Barding experience.

Thanks so much peeps. I appreciate all the wisdom being shared here.
While strafing, hit "r" to reply to someone or "t" to open tell command, then just click outside of the chat window. There's probably an easier way, but that's always worked when I've needed to use auto-strafe.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

I simply use Num Lock to auto run forward (i think that is the default keybind?) then hold my Strafe right key (D)

Obviously one Num locked if I tap W or S it will stop the auto run.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Aviak

Without being at home to experiment with these suggestions (downtime at work = forum time) I think I have tried similar approaches without yielding success.
Using the R or T is somewhat akin to the double-tap of the enter key, correct. I'm fairly sure I've tried just about every iteration of similar keystrokes without working properly, or at least the way I 'intend' for it to work.
Also, once auto-run is engaged, the moment I hit another key, it 'takes over' and will strafe- as long as I hold it down, but will disengage as soon as I release it. The whole idea is to lock-in auto-strafe.

I appreciate the help, and I'll certainly try each of these once I'm at my game comp, but I believe the answer is still out there somewhere...
Thanks for such quick replies
Old 01-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Try different methods. The main ones are the strafe and sow above, ran in either circles or ovals (the drive by), or what I prefer, tap circles. With tap circles, once you get used to it, its extremely consistent compared to the drive by popular approach and I always felt safer than the strafe method plus you can do all movement with just keyboard and use mouse to cast songs / switch instruments.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

What I've found to work is to hold your forward key and your turn key down, while holding right click to change that key combo into a strafe run with mouse look, then hit enter to lock it in and it remains a strafe run when you drop the mouse look and movement keys. I never tried it with a strafe key instead of a turn key.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:13 PM
Aviak

RE Legidias: I've tried the non-strafe method (with SoW, and with twisting in Selo's) and just couldn't make it work. Perhaps with much more practice I could... but as many times as I tried, it didn't seem like I was even getting close. This does sound a lot like the method suggested to me by a VERY helpful peep in-game last night. Said once I got it, all other methods would be way harder/not worth it. I really wanted to 'get it'. Just couldn't.

RE Vivitron: I've tried virtually every combination of this, without success. When running, if I hit 'turn', I simply start turning/spinning; I no longer run forward. If I get the strafe run established, I cannot lock it in, using any method that I can discover on my own. It is for this reason, that I believe it is a keyboard assignment issue, and not something I am simply overlooking.

I played for years, then did take a decade and a half off- but have been back at it for a year and a half or so, albeit on Live initially, and then most recently on green. This is simply my first Bard, so my first instance of really needing to maintain longer episodes of sustained circling/strafing/ovaling/whatever. I've managed to strafe run from peeps most of my EQ life as a Necro primarily, so kiting is nothing new- even sometimes just trying to 'get away' with a strafe technique when sow drops, gets dispelled etc. Running/player control has never presented such issues in the past; just now that I'm trying to hone my Bard'ing techniques.

Again, I appreciate the wisdom. Whatever methods are recommended, I'll give them a shot once I get home to my game comp. and report back when I've found something that works. I am fully prepared for that answer to make me look completely computer illiterate- which I may be from time to time, lol
Old 01-19-2021, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBStrong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When running, if I hit 'turn', I simply start turning/spinning; I no longer run forward.
Forget locking it in for a second; simultaneously holding turn+forward+mouse-look should be a strafe run, does it function that way in your setup?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget locking it in for a second; simultaneously holding turn+forward+mouse-look should be a strafe run, does it function that way in your setup?
I believe it does. Achieving the diagonal strafe run, hasn't been the issue. I can do that; but rather getting it to 'auto-run' that way is my hang up. If I just have to hold down those keys while maintaining the 'kite'... I'll go back to being a Necro. lol

I'm obviously still learning, and for me, that makes it fun. I'm not giving up, but I'll definitely be spending some more time tinkering with it. My play time is limited, so I'll practice, and then realize what time it is, and then- just go kill stuff!!!
Last edited by DBStrong; 01-19-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Old 01-19-2021, 01:36 PM
Sarnak

At that point you should be able to hit enter, and then release forward+turn, and then enter again.
Closed Thread