Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroche [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just had to scour the early 2000s webrings:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010408....com/wtsk.html
Thanks for sharing this guide! A lot of fun to read.

Interesting about the Gypsies, I’m pretty sure they screwed up the faction now so gypsies are dubious to evil races. At least in NK I had to sneak to sell to them fairly recently.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ogres are clearly the BEST SK race because of front stub immunity! (Hahaha! Sorry couldn’t help myself with all of your Ogre love posts for shammy had to fire one back at’cha). In all seriousness troll SKs are awesome, both looks/stats wise as well as just being super RP evil.
Not a very good Troll (get it), since I never claimed this about Shadowknights[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Ogre is the best Min/Max Shaman race. Troll/Iksar regen is much better on classes that do not have a highly efficient heal spell like Torpor. It is also better on classes with FD. I know Shamans get the FD ring, but unless you recharge it a LOT, it isn't your main ability for avoiding death. The main reason why Ogre FSI is better on Warriors in the long run is because Warriors are mostly a grouping class, where regen basically becomes useless. It is much rarer for people to make a solo focused Warrior, and keep them solo focused forever.

For Shadowknights, plenty of people feel comfortable mostly playing solo forever. The combination of their skills being great in solo play mixed with their poor raiding status make Shadowknights a mostly solo/single group class. The Min/Max race is a bit of a toss-up between Troll and Ogre, depending on what you want to do. Trolls are the better solo SK due to the regen, and Ogres are the better grouping SK with FSI. One could make a reasonable case for FSI still being superior to regen in solo play, as it helps you get FD off easier when you have multiple mobs attacking you. But between Deaths Peace and Blood Ember Greaves, you get plenty of opportunities to cast and recast FD. I do notice the bash stun interrupts on my Troll Shadowknight, and they have caused me issues. Most of the time I can get FD off just fine, and when that happens the regen gets me back in the fight much sooner.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 10-04-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Old 10-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Banned

Best SK race is human hands down

SK is such a roleplay heavy class

who cares about min-maxing
Old 10-04-2021, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

human / DE / erudite depending on your preference...but yes...precisely this
Old 10-04-2021, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some people do like Min/Maxing[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I don't knock you for playing purely for fashion reasons. Give me the same courtesy. I really don't understand why people hate players who enjoy maximizing their stats.

EDIT: Also, if you do plan on Min/Maxing stats by getting all BiS gear, Erudite is the best SK race due to having the highest INT. BiS Velious tank gear will not max INT on any race. But you do give up the Regen/FSI, which are also great.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 10-04-2021 at 12:02 PM..
Old 10-04-2021, 05:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people do like Min/Maxing[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I don't knock you for playing purely for fashion reasons. Give me the same courtesy. I really don't understand why people hate players who enjoy maximizing their stats.

Players are not hated for minmaxing per se. Minmaxers are hated for:
  • being obnoxious gits about it,
  • refusing to group classes/races that have not received their MinMaxSealOfApproval[tm],
  • demanding "perfect" size & composition of their groups,
  • framing all in-game social interaction in terms of their personal "perfection" in race/class/gear choices,
  • being obnoxious gits about it.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Players are not hated for minmaxing per se. Minmaxers are hated for:
  • refusing to group classes/races that have not received their MinMaxSealOfApproval[tm],
  • demanding "perfect" size & composition of their groups,
  • framing all in-game social interaction in terms of their personal "perfection" in race/class/gear choices,
  • being obnoxious gits about it.
This is silly, because nobody here is obnoxious about Min/Maxing (not that I have seen anyway). If you start discussing specifics of game mechanics, there IS a right and wrong answer. The right answer needs to be uncovered for Min/Max builds to work correctly. Otherwise, you do not Min/Max due to faulty information. I think you are just misinterpreting mechanic discussions.

If there are players out there who don't group with Human Monks because they aren't Iksars, for example, I agree with you they are idiots hehe.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there are players out there who don't group with Human Monks because they aren't Iksars, for example, I agree with you they are idiots hehe.
Not necessarily idiots, some obnoxious gits are actually astonishingly clever (i.e. much more clever than I). Cleverness is not a virtue, however, and so it does not in any way mitigate their obnoxiousness.

back OT, that is a neat guide.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not necessarily idiots, some obnoxious gits are actually astonishingly clever (i.e. much more clever than I). Cleverness is not a virtue, however, and so it does not in any way mitigate their obnoxiousness.

back OT, that is a neat guide.
Nah, they are idiots. I think you are grouping players who want to maximize their character's effectiveness via Min/Maxing with players who want to xp as fast as possible. They are not the same types of players.

Anybody who wants to maximize their xp gains via skilled players and group composition know that you do this by playing with friends who have the same schedule as you.

If you try to maximize xp gains in a public group by not inviting Troll SKs due to xp penalty, Human Monks due to less regen, etc., you have already missed the point. You can't maximize xp gains in a public group, there isn't any point in trying. Public groups are for fun and normal xp gain. You just look like an idiot/asshole for trying to optimize a public group in those manners.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:13 AM
Aviak

"The main problem with TSK’s is that they are so hard to play, and so few people have the conviction to play them above level 20."

Writes the guide to level 28 then quits.
Closed Thread