Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If Capitalism is exploiting you, exploit it back. Take advantage of your landlord. Make money off him. Have a stubborn fuck you attitude.
No, that makes society bad.

It's better to be empathetic and to just quit contributing to society in any way and have a stubborn fuck you attitude, until someone invents a working utopia and hands it to you.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you do about the news if you had the power to change it?
  • Remove 24 hour coverage. Trying to fill 24 hours just forces them to fill it with "entertainment".
  • Remove opinionated talking head shows.
  • Make news segments as objective as possible. What happened, who said what, etc.
  • Remove clandestine marketing or outside influence (scripts given by outsiders, etc)

The classic BBC news channel is close to this. So are local news channels, although they get scripts given to them
Old 01-27-2023, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you do about the news if you had the power to change it?
Well for mass shooters I’ve already said, I wouldn’t name them or if I did I would give them degrading nick names instead (like Coward Man), and never ever post the body count. Deny them the infamy they crave, and you remove a large motivation for the crime. Remove enough motivation, and you prevent the crime

This was more of a crime of passion so that’s harder to stop. Nothing about how the news covers it could prevent something like this IMO. But saying “we have a gun problem” is pointless and pissing into the wind. Everyone knows, saying it doesn’t fix it. About as useful as Thoughts And Prayers!
Old 01-27-2023, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Remove 24 hour coverage. Trying to fill 24 hours just forces them to fill it with "entertainment".
  • Remove opinionated talking head shows.
  • Make news segments as objective as possible. What happened, who said what, etc.
  • Remove clandestine marketing or outside influence (scripts given by outsiders, etc)

The classic BBC news channel is close to this. So are local news channels, although they get scripts given to them
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-27-2023, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well for mass shooters I’ve already said, I wouldn’t name them or if I did I would give them degrading nick names instead (like Coward Man), and never ever post the body count. Deny them the infamy they crave, and you remove a large motivation for the crime. Remove enough motivation, and you prevent the crime

This was more of a crime of passion so that’s harder to stop. Nothing about how the news covers it could prevent something like this IMO. But saying “we have a gun problem” is pointless and pissing into the wind. Everyone knows, saying it doesn’t fix it. About as useful as Thoughts And Prayers!
Okay, how would you enforce these rules?

What are the penalties if a given network doesn't abide by them?

What about news that doesn't come from one of the major networks, would your rules apply to them?
Old 01-27-2023, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Banning guns and social media: freedom

Banning mega cooperate for profit news media: FASCISM!
Old 01-27-2023, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Okay, how would you enforce these rules?

What are the penalties if a given network doesn't abide by them?

What about news that doesn't come from one of the major networks, would your rules apply to them?
There’s no way, they’d have to choose to do it themselves like The Daily Wire does (they refuse to name mass shooters but still discuss them, so they’re 50% there but better than everywhere else)

It would have to be universally accepted as good practice. There would be no ethical way to enforce it that wouldn’t infringe on free speech. So will it happen?

Nope
Old 01-27-2023, 01:32 PM
Sarnak

Nobody is willing to admit its already too late?

How can you put the genie back in the bottle?

There are hundreds of millions of guns. If you laid them end to end they would circle the planet.

Its already too late, but the responsible thing to do would be to try.

That is an outrage, I know.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

I think that news media should not be for profit.

Why do poets have to starve while the people who go and root out corruption get to live in penthouse apartments?

It should be more like the church, if you want to live a life of poverty, then be a voice for the people.

You shouldn't be able to get rich, being a spokesperson.

We just shouldn't respect cooperate news, or conspiracy theorists that sell vitamin supplements.

If you follow those 2 rules, then there is nothing left to watch, read or listen to anymore.

So something is broken.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Its easy to make it not for profit, the church collects A LOT OF MONEY but they dont pay taxes.

You do the reverse, you let them collect money, but then tax ALL OF IT.
Closed Thread