Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 02-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Aviak

Question Are people really that nice?

I've had a very 'mixed' experience recently on Green. Just wondered what other people's experiences are with it. I've experienced a real range of different people and behaviours - and is Green a LOT busier than it was maybe a year ago (the last time I played a lot)?

There's level of competitiveness and me-first that seems a little different to how it was when it wasn't quite so busy.

Couple cases in point:

- Handed out Clarity and haste like candy at Mistmoore Castle. The leader of the group I was helping actually started trash talking me and was really rude about it (??? ok) the rest were fine.

- Handed out free rezzes out the wazoo for a couple hours too, some people were so grateful it was heartwarming, like Christmas come early. Other people are so passive that even though they couldn't possibly not know I was there and that's what I was doing, never reached out yet when I went searching for people who got dropped and rezzed them, they were very grateful too.

- Is Need before Greed even a thing any more? More and more often groups basically go 'lol' and start rolling to the point i'm like F it I guess I'm just gonna roll on stuff that's semi valuable yet has nothing to do with my class...? I always thought if there was someone there that really needed it and would wear it, that would take priority... now i'm feeling like a sucker.

- Had formed a fairly solid group in Unrest, one said "oh no haha I have to go" they literally moved to a group a few feet away from us (from the garden outside to MR, like bro it's only a game but come on lol)

- The FLAKINESS of people is just insane, I was a twink in a group and we were steamrolling Crushbone, lotta fun. This guy begs to go AFK for a minute, is gone a good half hour and *only reappears when i boot him from the group*. People's powers of attention always find a way to reemerge when the XP bar stops moving... he comes back and bails again a couple minutes after that.

- I usually give people discounts when selling in EC, I'm pretty happy to take 70-80% of what I'm asking. I'm mostly selling. So when I try and get even a small discount (on a pretty generously priced item) people are... yeah not into it, at all, a lot of the time? Guess I'm doing it wrong / shouldn't bother discounting? Some are even really rude about it. I mean come on this is supposed to be trade - a negotiation. This happens A LOT.

- People losing their mind about sharing even 1 out of 3 camps in places like Velk's and then going full LawyerQuest on me for thinking that's not fair. Like gtfo of here, nowhere in the PNP does it say you can completely dominate a zone like that.

Anyway I'll stop there. Why is this? There are a LOT of nice people around but there are increasingly a lot of trashy, odd people around too.

What are your experiences and does any of this seem unusual?
Old 02-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Sarnak

Sample size you gave is too small and too random and does not sync up with the title.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuanahto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sample size you gave is too small and too random and does not sync up with the title.
Well what I'm saying is that Green is generally known or stereotyped as a care bear's paradise and I'm starting to disagree with that - based on my personal experiences. I'm just keen to hear how other people feel.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:35 PM
Aviak

I would say your experiences mirror mine. I have only been on P99 since Sept 2021 so I don't know that I have been here long enough for a historical perspective.

Need Before Greed groups are definitely not the norm from what little pick up grouping I have joined. But I would say that is also a large part of why I don't normally join those. Thankfully a few months after starting here the wife and I fell into a small guild/group of like minded individuals and that has not really been an issue.

Sometimes I get greatly appreciative messages if I run around buffing in low level zones. And then other times people get really mean if I don't stand there refreshing their DS as soon as it falls when I am semi afk or chatting in tells near a druid ring.

jaladiun/jaladian/vekter
Old 02-06-2023, 07:10 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfurry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would say your experiences mirror mine. I have only been on P99 since Sept 2021 so I don't know that I have been here long enough for a historical perspective.

Need Before Greed groups are definitely not the norm from what little pick up grouping I have joined. But I would say that is also a large part of why I don't normally join those. Thankfully a few months after starting here the wife and I fell into a small guild/group of like minded individuals and that has not really been an issue.

Sometimes I get greatly appreciative messages if I run around buffing in low level zones. And then other times people get really mean if I don't stand there refreshing their DS as soon as it falls when I am semi afk or chatting in tells near a druid ring.

jaladiun/jaladian/vekter
I hear you on the entitled / 'grabby' people re. buffs.

The guild aspect is an interesting one too though; the guild I'm in right now (shall remain nameless) is so heavily focused on raiding that I haven't been able to make any kind of solid or reliable groupies to xp with. Everything is so hardcore raiding focused that basic quests (getting flagged for Seb? need a tracker? basic stuff) Just can't be done. I had to virtually beg for help with just a tiny handful of fights for my epic (one only a single zone away from EC...... I dread to think what some people's epic fights must be like).

Despite that I've helped tonnes of other people with epic fights as a tank and as an enchanter... Perhaps all of this is just indicative of an extremely matured 'min-max' mentality that occurs around older servers.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:10 PM
Orc

Come join us in Castle. We behave with high ethics and spread general good whenever possible. We aren't perfect angels, but we are a home for those who cherish community and brotherhood over pixels. With that said... we still get those pixels. I think you would fit right in. Holler at me in game and I'd be happy to connect you to our officers.

-Guhtz
Old 02-06-2023, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

I've come back after a year away on green and saw my guild tag vanished I guess from inactivity so I joined castle and everyone seems nice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-06-2023, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

Casual players are always pretty nice. Feels like a general lull in the hardcore raid or die players. Or they are just raiding casually.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:45 AM
Orc

As a new player, my experiences are split 50/50 between depraved douchebags and overly kind angels.

I prefer the people who are chill and keep to themselves usually. The undesirable interactions are usually fairly easy to avoid or can be petitioned if you must. The world is big enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoff1975 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Come join us in Castle. We behave with high ethics and spread general good whenever possible. We aren't perfect angels, but we are a home for those who cherish community and brotherhood over pixels. With that said... we still get those pixels. I think you would fit right in. Holler at me in game and I'd be happy to connect you to our officers.

-Guhtz
I endorse this advice right here. Most of the sane/cool people I've met have been from <Castle>.

On a side note: Avoid <Pals> like the plague. Almost every negative experience I have originates from someone in that guild.
Last edited by Sisythi; 02-07-2023 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: minor grammar
Old 02-07-2023, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1479 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- I usually give people discounts when selling in EC, I'm pretty happy to take 70-80% of what I'm asking. I'm mostly selling. So when I try and get even a small discount (on a pretty generously priced item) people are... yeah not into it, at all, a lot of the time? Guess I'm doing it wrong / shouldn't bother discounting? Some are even really rude about it. I mean come on this is supposed to be trade - a negotiation. This happens A LOT.
I was selling something in the tunnel the other day.

Some guy asks how much I'm selling it for. I let him know the price I was looking for - literally the lowest number possible listed on the Wiki Item page.

He comes back with a ridiculous low number like 75% off of what I offer.

I say I can't do that, but I lower my initial price by 30% and offer that instead.

He gets all passive aggressive and says "Good luck selling it for that much".

5 minutes later someone buys my item for MORE than I was initially asking for lol