Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Large Rat

Default "The Program eqgame.exe has encountered a serious problem..." $20 reward to help fix

Hi!

I only have a mac to play EQ on. I have used Wineskin Winery to launch EQ several times in the past but suddenly it wouldn't launch and gave me the error:

"The program eqgame.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check http://www.codeweavers.com/compatability/ for tips about running this application."

So, I deleted all my files and the old Wine, and re-downloaded everything and am getting the exact same error. If anyone can help me determine what's causing this error it would be greatly appreciated! In fact, if you are the one to help me fix it I will send you $20 via Paypal. I miss EQ and want to play! Wow has gotten super boring. Thanks![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-04-20 10.01.58.jpg (11.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Ok I have no idea what that error is specifically, and I don't want your $20. But here's my advice on getting EQ to run in Linux.

First, I don't use wineskin or play on linux or any WINE wrapper; I just use wine. I run a shell script that starts it like this:

cd /home/me/Desktop/EverQuest/
wine eqgame.exe patchme

(Yes, I keep my EQ install on my desktop ... makes it easier to get to logs and screenshots that way [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )

If that command doesn't work, I play around with the options I get when I run winecfg. Mostly I play around with the OS options (Windows 98 didn't work? Try Windows NT! And so on), and stuff like whether wine runs in an emulated virtual desktop or not or whether wine manages the windows or not. In my experience if you futz around with those settings and the OS settings eventually you can get rid of errors like the one you're seeing (but no guarantees).

If you can't, I'd install the latest graphics drivers (probably the non-free ones, but depending on your card the free ones might be better; again you'll have to experiment).

Finally, once you get the game to run, you might have issues with no servers at the server select screen. A VPN seems to be the only fix for this thanks to Rogean's latest changes, but previously a script called P99 Middleman D used to help also (and might still, just not for me).

If that doesn't work I'd post back here or try searching the technical forums (you're certainly not the first to run Linux and want to run P99).

Hope that helps, and good luck!

P.S. There's also http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide, but I can't speak to how relevant it still is.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-20-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Old 04-20-2019, 03:12 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the info! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I truly don't understand anything you said simply because I am not tech savvy at all. I followed a Youtube video to set up EQ on my mac each time in the past and it worked flawlessly. I am just wondering why I got this specific error and if maybe anyone knows why it happens and how to fix it.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Oh my apologies. I read this post before I'd had coffee this morning so I saw WINE, or at least Wineskin Winery, but missed that you were on Mac.

Unfortunately I don't know Macs at all; I would follow this thread: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=56238 (it also links to a Youtube video).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Large Rat

Thanks a bunch! I am currently trying downloading a different set of Titanium disc since I feel there may be a problem with my files somehow.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Large Rat

I totally re-downloaded everything and it's still giving me the same error.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Aviak

When you install the patch, are you dragging each folder contents over folder by folder or doing the root directory? Macs aren't good at "merging" folders and often just replace the entire folder, which overwrites files that you need.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for responding! I truly don't know what a root directory is, or what you mean when you say installing the patch. However, I did manually copy/paste the P99 files to replace the Titanium files. Side note: I looked online and several people were not able to log in to P99 on macs after the Mojave software update for macs.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Large Rat

I still have not been able to fix it...[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcovenantnation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still have not been able to fix it...[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you tried going through the Mac thread I linked (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s....php?t=56238)?