Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: I am Joe Biden's Brain.
Still good. 19 23.75%
Barely functional! 8 10.00%
Hanging on for dear life!! 9 11.25%
Corn Pop was a lying dog faced pony soldier, fat. 34 42.50%
Joe Biden was on Flight 77. 10 12.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
His campaign thus far reminds me of a Weekend at Bernie’s. It really blows my mind that he is supposedly the best the Democratic Party has to offer. All they needed was a young ethnic man or woman with a little bit of charisma to swoon their base, but they decided they would do better with a questionably alive chomo. How is anybody supposed to rally behind him?
Biden is essentially the candidate that was chosen by black people. His opponents were relatively well matched until Super Tuesday which was just a landslide in Biden's favor because for some reason the blacks here just love old white religious democrat men.

None of Biden's opponents had any chance of winning the South, and Biden was postulated to have a decent shot at winning Pennsylvania which is an important swing state.

Winning the presidential election in the US is about appealing to key demographics in key regions, not winning the most votes. To win as a democrat, you have to be popular with black people both to win the primary and to have a shot at North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, etc. Also Florida to some extent. The (D) next to your name will carry the West coast and New England.

There are many things I detest about the Democratic party, but its reliance on racial minorities probably bothers me the most. I wish they'd find a way to appeal to middle class suburban whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, Joe sold us out to China. He is weak on China. For 8 years they had no plan to deal with China - can't deal with another 2.0.

Trump is bad on so many levels, but at least he is taking the right approach on China that prior admins and other countries (Germany!) haven't done.

Let's not even get into Hunter, yikes.

Source: 10+ years living in China, fluent Mandarin speaker, reads up on current events and economics
At a superficial level that is also the one thing Trump's admin has done that I love.

But really he hasn't done much of substance to punish China for being liars, cheaters, and intellectual property thieves. Just a whole lot of rhetoric, threats, and some ineffectual tariffs. Better than nothing though
Last edited by Lune; 08-04-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn’t that mean it is in most politicians’ favour to install as impotent and manipulable president as possible? Doing so removes a check/ balance against them self?
You want a President with charisma and strong personality who can unite the party and move legislation forward. Even though it's the responsibility of Congress to advance legislation, they have abdicated that (the useless gits!) and depend on the President to lead the charge, to unite the wings and to hammer out a compromise. This is why the President is always involved in forming the legislation instead of just enforcing it like he's supposed to according to the Constitution.

The Congresscritters depend on passing legislation they can crow about back home how effective they are so they get re-elected. They need a strong President to make that happen.

Also, the President usually serves as the Party leader so you need some strength there too.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

I haven't yet talked to a single person face-to-face who regards Biden as a serious candidate. Pretty well everyone on both "sides" seems to agree the man's a front.

Danth
Old 08-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I could destroy Biden in a debate and I’m not even into politics. Listening to him rant to a factory worker about AR-14s....
The only thing you can destroy is a box of hamburger helper and a night of heavy everquest
Old 08-04-2020, 12:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, Joe sold us out to China. He is weak on China. For 8 years they had no plan to deal with China - can't deal with another 2.0.

Trump is bad on so many levels, but at least he is taking the right approach on China that prior admins and other countries (Germany!) haven't done.

Let's not even get into Hunter, yikes.

Source: 10+ years living in China, fluent Mandarin speaker, reads up on current events and economics
I'm not familiar enough with economics, but this seems well researched and thought out:

https://www.piie.com/blogs/trade-and...ed-enterprises

Essentially:
Quote:
By signing a deal that left in place Chinese tariffs on tens of billions of dollars of American exports, Trump has relegated to the sidelines the buyers who determine nearly 75 percent of Chinese purchases of imported goods.
To summarize, the article goes on to explain that China might not reasonably be able to meet the trade agreement goal because the primary importers of our goods still have those tariffs in place, disincentivizing them from doing so. This would lead to China pushing their state-owned enterprises to pick up the slack, which makes their economy more state-owned which is potentially its own problem (apparently, again, genuinely ignorant of this sort of thing).

They suspect this may be a problem though because China's SOE's don't really import the goods we're exporting very much, the private sector does.

It's unclear to me though, what happens if China can't actually meet the agreement due to those conditions? Does anyone know if there's some language in the agreement that holds them accountable somehow if they can't?

Also, if someone could clarify, what are people's concerns about China's economy becoming more state driven than it already is?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Yang gang
Old 08-04-2020, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Joe is either not senile, or he's been senile for 25+ years.

the current president being morally unfit
https://youtu.be/7bRhMLhc8wQ
Old 08-04-2020, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yang gang
Old 08-04-2020, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Biden gives me the creeps

creepy joe
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread