Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Enchanter class was just severely underplayed at first, was the main thing. So even if you did start to understand how great they were, there often wouldn't be one around to play with. They quickly rose in popularity though.
I just don't buy that only one class was "underplayed" on live (which had an order of magnitude more players than P99), and therefore only that one class is played completely differently here (solo-dominant vs. group-dominant) ... while every other class in the game is fundamentally played the same way.

It seems far more likely our emulator isn't emulating properly (and charm is to safe here) than that 10x the number of Enchanters didn't know how to cast their spells on live.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Everything in me wants to say paladin but I think i have to go with bard
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just don't buy that only one class was "underplayed" on live (which had an order of magnitude more players than P99), and therefore only that one class is played completely differently here (solo-dominant vs. group-dominant) ... while every other class in the game is fundamentally played the same way.

It seems far more likely our emulator isn't emulating properly (and charm is to safe here) than that 10x the number of Enchanters didn't know how to cast their spells on live.
Lol it’s always funny watching you say this. Because I’ve lost count of how many people have come here and been like yeah no enchanters just weren’t discovered as a truly OP class until a bit into classic and you always just like stick your fingers in your ears and claim that you’re the only one who is right lol
Old 08-06-2022, 01:09 PM
Sarnak

To be fair to Loramin, those are often Enchanter players.

There may just happen to be an ulterior motive there.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm good points… and paladins’ divine strength is only +125hp as in it’s absence you can get +75 from Strength of Nature …
Yeah, Divine Strength is not that special. Strength of Nature is better on Rogues and some other melee DPS people anyway. Paladin confirmed weakest class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are skewing the data by injecting your personal preference of how you play, rather than how the average player plays.
Magician is very good in "average" group setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think it's likely that something is a bit wrong with p99 charm. However, there's a lot of things with game mechanics that weren't understood to the degree they are now, which makes an even bigger difference. Internet lag and field of view also make a big difference with this. Wider screens and being able to maximize the clipping plane creates a wayyyyy different experience than playing the game like it was in 1999.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:52 PM
Fire Giant

Charming was not a thing on live at least in Kunark. People just wanted enchanters to be mez bots and didn't want to have to worry about the chanter dying. Healers were not as good and everyone had lag.

Because if they died it was probably a group wipe and long CR, it's not like people had a legion of rogues and clerics for corpse recovery.

It was honestly way more chill, even if less XP.

But that's off topic, the shittest class up to velious is Mage.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But that's off topic, the shittest class up to velious is Mage.
In classic, they are relatively under powered before the pets get fixed for sure, but they are pretty OP otherwise. Best group DPS (w/o charm), can solo for hours (including Frenzy). They cheese through sky and phinny. In Kunark they can cheese Tola/Prot, DA train raids through seb, etc, are an excellent third for ench/cleric for farming groups, etc. etc.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

It wasnt until well into P99's lifespan that enchanters became so widely used by the community the way they are now.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:47 PM
Orc

Mage most underpowered? Have we played the same game? The chain petting, high group dps, COTH, mod rodding character? Hard no.

It's one of the melee hybrids: paladin, sk, or ranger.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:25 PM
Planar Protector

I think the fact that the community can’t agree is pretty strong evidence that no class is underpowered when you look at the whole scope of the game that Norrath has to offer.

There are clearly underpowered classes when you focus on any single aspect … but not when you look at the sum total.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2