Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-08-2022, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, I've referenced that guide a few times in this thread. He accounts for tons of different scenarios/stats which is useful in these discussions. Mage was his #5 overall. Solid class across the board, despite their lack of utility.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that guide. It rates SK's higher than Warriors, and rates Paladins at the bottom. It's either outdated or not that accurate. It also rates Paladins lower in raids than SK's, which is off for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So as well as levelling too quickly and not needing to bother with 60 to satisfy its raid roles, we are now arguing magicians are underpowered because they can solo level 61 mobs (but slowly)?

Seriously?!
No. You simply are thinking too much into raiding. The discussion isn't "which class is the most underpowered in raiding", it is which class is most underpowered overall.

Mages can level quickly, but so can a lot of classes. That isn't anything super special. They just run out of things to do after they level besides becoming CoTH bots.

Please show us some awesome level 60 Mage soloing. I can't even find videos online.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-08-2022 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-08-2022, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah please list these, especially with the current agro mechanics chain petting isn't too useful unless you have room to kite.
You can use the new agro mechanics to your advantage though,if you have an epic you can pet kite ice burrowers,though whether it's worth it is questionable.
I'm still waiting to hear which camps also: the best I can do with my mage is geonids [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I will say the P99 agro mechanic does not require room to kite in order to chain. You can just use the earth pet, wait until it's down to 5-10% life (depending on the mob; start sooner for harder mobs), then start summoning a new pet.

When your new pet is about to be summoned, you use /pet get lost to get rid of the old pet, just before your new pet comes out. It works great as long as you time it well, and even if you don't time it well the root from the earth pet will usually give you the few seconds you need to finish casting.

It's only if you time it badly AND the root doesn't go off AND your resummon gets interrupted by the mob that you need to kite (or use a root net or something). If you're playing well that should be a pretty rare occurrence.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We aren't discussing most underpowered in raiding. The discussion is most underpowered overall. Nobody has claimed Mages are underpowered in raids.

Precisely.

I want to know this too. It has yet to be answered.

Shamans can do this too, but it takes forever hehe. Even with the increased DPS of a Mage pet it would be pretty slow. Probably not worth it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsvt1xfuqY
A guildie of mine does it,takes about 20 mins and all of her mana,even using 2epic pets to get started. Looks fun at least
Old 08-08-2022, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A guildie of mine does it,takes about 20 mins and all of her mana,even using 2epic pets to get started. Looks fun at least
Not a bad time at all. Does she have metrics on using non-epic pets? Sadly most Mages don't have their Epics.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm still waiting to hear which camps also: the best I can do with my mage is geonids [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I will say the P99 agro mechanic does not require room to kite in order to chain. You can just use the earth pet, wait until it's down to 5-10% life (depending on the mob; start sooner for harder mobs), then start summoning a new pet.

When your new pet is about to be summoned, you use /pet get lost to get rid of the old pet, just before your new pet comes out. It works great as long as you time it well, and even if you don't time it well the root from the earth pet will usually give you the few seconds you need to finish casting.

It's only if you time it badly AND the root doesn't go off AND your resummon gets interrupted by the mob that you need to kite (or use a root net or something). If you're playing well that should be a pretty rare occurrence.
Ofcourse it's doable,just reliant on the earth root while the new pet builds agro. Before the mechanics were changed it was possible with any of the pets and very low risk.
Geos are a good mage camp, not much downtime if you get good rng.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not a bad time at all. Does she have metrics on using non-epic pets? Sadly most Mages don't have their Epics.
I tried it without an epic and I didn't have enough mana,burrower was down to 40% if I recall

https://youtu.be/-RZevG64Kj8 not my video ofc
Last edited by PatChapp; 08-08-2022 at 11:27 AM..
Old 08-08-2022, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I tried it without an epic and I didn't have enough mana,burrower was down to 40% if I recall
Makes sense. Those Burrowers have a ton of HP.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah if a qualifier is "has mage epic" that leaves out a vast majority of anyone who's ever going to roll the class.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I wouldn't put too much stock in that guide. It rates SK's higher than Warriors, and rates Paladins at the bottom. It's either outdated or not that accurate. It also rates Paladins lower in raids than SK's, which is off for sure.

No. You simply are thinking too much into raiding. The discussion isn't "which class is the most underpowered in raiding", it is which class is most underpowered overall.

Mages can level quickly, but so can a lot of classes. That isn't anything super special. They just run out of things to do after they level besides becoming CoTH bots.

Please show us some awesome level 60 Mage soloing. I can't even find videos online.
I’m not focused on raiding. I think I take a balanced view. Speed of xp solo/grouped. Raid role. Can handle moderately tough mobs solo. Is excellent duo or trio.

You’re focusing entirely on level 60 shaman torpor God tier soloing to exclusion of all else. It’s such a high standard which 75% of the classes don’t come close to, let alone meet! It’s no argument against magicians in particular.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-08-2022, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, I've referenced that guide a few times in this thread. He accounts for tons of different scenarios/stats which is useful in these discussions. Mage was his #5 overall. Solid class across the board, despite their lack of utility.
Yes, sorry about that as I didn't read entire thread, it's too much. I don't know why raid is even factored into underpowered discussion in this thread. If you are in a guild you get invited to the raid no matter how useless your class is, so raid power is irrelevant in my book. Group and Solo is all that should matter in this discussion. If you add up those 2, then it puts Rogue at the bottom as it should be, then followed by Wizard. Those two are my bottom two underpowered classes. Rogue needs something to allow them to solo which would fix them. Wizard needs something to make them more viable in group which would fix them.