Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-09-2022, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

This thread is going well. Just 100 more posts or so from DSM and Zuranthium, and we might finally get to the bottom of this.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This thread is going well. Just 100 more posts or so from DSM and Zuranthium, and we might finally get to the bottom of this.
I think DSM is good for another 100 but we may need to get a few people to take turns playing his foil.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think DSM is good for another 100 but we may need to get a few people to take turns playing his foil.
Or you could contribute to the thread and help people learn[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That's probably the better option.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or you could contribute to the thread and help people learn[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That's probably the better option.
I don't think anyone's learning all that much when we get caught up in these types of threads. Once in awhile something neat comes out of it, which is always nice. Mostly, though, I think it's just a bunch of us hobbyists back-and-forthing on a subject we all like. Same mechanic by which I've seen bitter, near-violent arguments crop up about things like the precise shade of paint used on some model.

Danth
Old 08-09-2022, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think anyone's learning all that much when we get caught up in these types of threads. Once in awhile something neat comes out of it, which is always nice. Mostly, though, I think it's just a bunch of us hobbyists back-and-forthing on a subject we all like. Same mechanic by which I've seen bitter, near-violent arguments crop up about things like the precise shade of paint used on some model.

Danth
It's still helpful, because people can see the different ways in which people attack the problem. But often times these threads get bloated by unnecessary silliness like name calling or posts like the ones above, which just make it harder for players who actually want to know this stuff.

It would be much better if people only chimed in when they wanted to contribute, instead of just troll. Then the threads would be smaller and easier to read.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I put in my 2 cents; you even responded to me[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think most of the information value of most forum discussions comes from people's initial statement of their positions and maybe a round or two of clarifying posts, and that the signal to noise ratio drops way off in the extended back and forth.

It can be enjoyable for it's own sake though -- I'm still reading the thread. These game balance/game mechanic arguments are part of the classic nostalgia for me.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

The real reason you don’t see a lot of high level mages trolling around p99 Norrath is directly due to the toxic raid scene. They end up parked as CoTH bots not because they’re not strong but because that’s what their guild requires of them to have any chance at competing. If raid scene worked differently and log in CoTH races weren’t necessary… you wouldn’t see them parked so often.

Mages are underpowered in no area of the game. Yeah they can’t do their dps role in certain raid zones/encounters but they have 2 critical raid jobs that no guild on p99 could compete without:

-CoTH
-mod rods

-They are strong soloers
-they are great in groups
-they have absolutely necessary raid jobs. Glamorous jobs? No, but necessary.

Underpowered my arse.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-09-2022, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real reason you don’t see a lot of high level mages trolling around p99 Norrath is directly due to the toxic raid scene. They end up parked as CoTH bots not because they’re not strong but because that’s what their guild requires of them to have any chance at competing. If raid scene worked differently and log in CoTH races weren’t necessary… you wouldn’t see them parked so often.

Mages are underpowered in no area of the game. Yeah they can’t do their dps role in certain raid zones/encounters but they have 2 critical raid jobs that no guild on p99 could compete without:

-CoTH
-mod rods

-They are strong soloers
-they are great in groups
-they have absolutely necessary raid jobs. Glamorous jobs? No, but necessary.

Underpowered my arse.
People park their Mages voluntarily. No guild forces people to do it, and guilds level CoTH bots that can be shared by anyone. The reason why people end up making their Mages CoTH bots is because Mages aren't very good at high levels, so this typically ends up being the best thing for the character.

If Mages were stronger, people wouldn't use their level 60 Mages as CoTH bots as much.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-09-2022 at 03:16 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
they have 2 critical raid jobs that no guild on p99 could compete without:

-CoTH
-mod rods
Don't forget they can quad-DA. With a competent mage, you can move your raid anywhere. This is essential in ToV and can be used in other raid zones as well. A heads up mage can save raids. Look at someone like -tani.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't forget they can quad-DA. With a competent mage, you can move your raid anywhere. This is essential in ToV and can be used in other raid zones as well.
Agreed, Mages are great in Raids. But the discussion is not focused on raiding.