Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 09-02-2022, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd rather have an epic mq for 46 and a IFS than a T staff.

Just sayin.
how much you think a green MQ would cost?
Old 09-02-2022, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FOR LEVELLING / SOLO - Priorize STRENGTH / AC. If you have a Fungi, that wil carry you to 50 easy, with some bandages to supplement. Don't need low weight / HP gear until 50+. Certain stuff should be priority - the stuff that you won't replace even after 50. (Silver Chitin Wristband is best in slot until you get Bracer of Benevolence, for instance)

Ear: Black Sapphire Electrum Earring (HP, better at 50+) (1k) / Orc Fang Earring (100-200p) (Strength, better for levelling)
Neck: Dragon Tooth Choker (2k) / Spider Fur Collar (100p) - both have strength.
Face: Crystal Spider Eyes (1k) (HP, better for 50+) / Mask of Wurms (50-100p) (strength, better for levelling)
Head: Dragon Tooth Choker (2k)
Ear: Black Sapphire Electrum Earring (1k) / Orc Fang Earring (100-200p)

Finger: Gem Encrusted Ring (4k) (str, still use this on my 60 monk) / Velium Fire Wedding Ring (250p)
Wrist: Silver Chitin Wristband (4k) (best in Slot til 55+ bracer of benevolence, even with the heavy weight)
Arms: Black Pantherskin Sleeves (1.5k) / Azure Sleeves (100p)
Hands: Gauntlets of Fiery Might (4k)
Wrist: Silver Chitin Wristband (4k)
Finger: Velium FIre Wedding RIng (250p)

Shoulder: Barbed Dragonscale Pauldrons (2.5k) / Wurm Scale Coat (3k)
Back: Dire Wolf-Hide Cloak (1k) / Shimmering Terror Hide Cloak (800p)
Chest: Fungi Tunic (60k)
Waist: Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt (20k)
Legs: Oiled Greaves (2.5k) / Black Pantherskin Leggings (1.5k)
Boots: Barbed Dragonscale Boots (2k) / Footpads of the Tiger (1k)

Primary: Imbued Fighter Staff (10k) / Peacebringer (3k) / Jade Mace (1k)
Secondary: Jade Mace (1k)
Ranged: Idol of the Thorned (1.5k)

Prices are based on the Green server atm.

Again, I would prioritize strength and neglect weight limit until 50+. At 50+, try your best to get under weight, and prioritize HP / AC.

I levelled a monk 1-50 in about 2 weeks with the gear I listed. I was using a Runed Fighter Staff and switched to a T Staff at 50.
1.) Fungi
2.) Seahorse Belt
3.) IFS
4.) Cheapest gear you listed in each slot, or even cheaper hehe
5.) SC Wrists
6.) Epic MQ...maybe

A good start! I onlyhave 20k so far so a long way to go, have slowed on my farming briefly to work on my druids epic(which i am justifying will allow me to grind plat more efficiently).

Any good advice in this thread for a 55 druid to make bank for the monk dream is appreciated!!
Old 09-03-2022, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

Monk epic is very easy, few days if you buy the pipe mq and get a brother q/z kill. I wouldn't worry too much about buying the full Mq,overall it's kind of a fun one anyway.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Join kittens and spam you need an epic, you’ll get it in a week. Ask zumbutu to do it for ya, hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1.) Fungi
2.) Seahorse Belt
3.) IFS
4.) Cheapest gear you listed in each slot, or even cheaper hehe
5.) SC Wrists
6.) Epic MQ...maybe
You can safely skip the SC wrists. Your left over budget should be 10-15k depending on server and spending 8k on wrists is a bad choice. Just get tar goo strands. They are half as good an 1/1000 the price. If you get +hp in every slot you can, you'll be killing it. Before the high end stuff, monk armor is pretty terrible, so it's not a huge difference with/without _all_ the pieces, so don't stress it.

Epic will be huge at 46, so I'd arrange to for some help ahead of time. I don't know what your main is, but generally you can solo or buy MQs for the pipes, then bring a group or two to knock out the fights. So you probably want to save some plat for those and coordinate with your guild/friends about the other epic stuff ahead of time.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:24 AM
Fire Giant

1-30, I would use 1h weapons. And since leveling 30-50 SoS x2 is the most dps you can do, I would start there. Even though you're applying the 1-8 (depending on level) damage bonus so less often, the ratio makes up for it. Everyone always says too slow without doing the math. And at 28 delay, you take less damage from ripostes and damage shields which is the big sell for 2H at those levels anyways.

I also like IFS over PB. And you keep that IFS forever (until you get better) for damage shield mobs you can't or don't want to dispell.

And yes, I also think Seahorse belt is the best haste bang for the buck.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1-30, I would use 1h weapons. And since leveling 30-50 SoS x2 is the most dps you can do, I would start there. Even though you're applying the 1-8 (depending on level) damage bonus so less often, the ratio makes up for it. Everyone always says too slow without doing the math. And at 28 delay, you take less damage from ripostes and damage shields which is the big sell for 2H at those levels anyways.

I also like IFS over PB. And you keep that IFS forever (until you get better) for damage shield mobs you can't or don't want to dispell.

And yes, I also think Seahorse belt is the best haste bang for the buck.
A) were you a GM on EQMac?

B) the big sell for me personally on 2hb isn't the less riposte. It's the weapon swap. Monk has H2H skill as well, so monk can swign with 2hb, unequip, get a dual wield attack with secondary fist, then re-equip 2hb before delay is up for another swing. repeat.

It works even better when you get epic, because fist delay is 16 unhasted. So you can swing 2hb (typically around 30 delay), unequip, get a (potential) quad attack with both fists, and then re-equip before delay is up for another (potential) double attack with 2hb. It adds about another 30% DPS. With 2hb and epic fists - monk can (potentially) hit 6 attacks per round. At 60, this goes up to 9 attacks per round.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

B) the big sell for me personally on 2hb isn't the less riposte. It's the weapon swap. Monk has H2H skill as well, so monk can swign with 2hb, unequip, get a dual wield attack with secondary fist, then re-equip 2hb before delay is up for another swing. repeat.

It works even better when you get epic, because fist delay is 16 unhasted. So you can swing 2hb (typically around 30 delay), unequip, get a (potential) quad attack with both fists, and then re-equip before delay is up for another (potential) double attack with 2hb. It adds about another 30% DPS. With 2hb and epic fists - monk can (potentially) hit 6 attacks per round. At 60, this goes up to 9 attacks per round.
Yeah thats right up there with Canni dancing levels of autism.

I could see doing it in a tight spot (I have before)...but all the time? Big fat no thanks amigo.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

It makes the mobs die quicker. Which means you take less damage, and then less downtime before fighting the next mob.

It adds a tremendous amount of DPS with epic fists. Often I will quad attack for 140 in between 2hb swings. It's essentially adding another 2hb swing. It's the difference between 80dps and 100dps.

Monk is a really unique and cool class, with a lot of tricks. But most people just treat it as a warrior with feign death.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

I'd add in allocating some budget to tinker bags.