Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 01-10-2023, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

Default Remember Project M? Where you could spawn as an NPC?

Does anyone remember project M, where you could spawn as orc, gnoll, rat etc?

This would be amazing for custom content. Food for thought

Details from http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20011107.html

Quote:
Tonight we have patched something to the PvP servers that many players have been waiting for. The ability to play that gnoll, orc, or the cute and fuzzy rat. On your character select screen you will notice another button in the upper right part of your screen called "Monster". Clicking this button will randomly place you in a low-level NPC in a random zone. You will be given full control of the creature to do with it what you like. You may hunt and kill other creatures. You may even attack other players.

Some things to remember when playing your own personal monster (NPC).

You will not be able to interact with players or NPC's other than moving and hitting attack.
You cannot speak, trade, sell, or do anything else that a player can do.
You will spawn with normal loot for the monster you are playing and Player Characters will be able to kill you for loot and experience.
If you are a spell casting monster you might want to take a moment to memorize some spells.
Once you die, you will return to the character select screen where you may choose to return as another NPC or play your normal character.
You may gain experience, levels, and skills as this NPC, but once you die, it is all lost. You will need to start over the next time you choose to be a NPC character.
You can't zone as a monster. If you try to cross a zone-boarder you will lose your progress and return to the character-select screen.
Monster PCs (MPCs) can not loot, sell, or gain items. They only get what they start out with.
This ability to play a monster is being implemented for PvP servers only as we have no plans to implement non-consensual PvP on a non PvP server.

However, we are still working with this system. We may find other ways to implement Project M on the non-PvP servers that are acceptable. We aren't done looking at the possible uses of this new feature.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:22 PM
Kobold

I do. I distinctly remember logging in as a snake in Blackburrow and chasing players around, it lasted for such a short time that I legit thought it was a fever dream when I was a kid until I got older and realized it was a real thing that happened.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Kobold

I logged in a few times while this was going on. So many possibilities. I played as a Kerran Monk, and definitely spawned in as a Mage pet at one point (an actual player's pet). Didn't disobey...too much lol
Old 01-10-2023, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

Peak classic imo

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 01-10-2023, 09:55 PM
Planar Protector

I just want to be a lvl 60 rattle snake in ec with wizard spells [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-10-2023, 11:07 PM
Kobold

I definitely killed at least one person as a fire beetle or similar. I waited for noobs to attack mobs and then beelined for them while they were engaged.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 01-11-2023, 03:05 AM
Fire Giant

On Fennin Ro back in the day Project M dropped and I lucked out with spawning in as an Orc Shaman near orc hill in Faydark. I had all of 4 spells on my spell bar. I remember feeling sad that I didn't have SoW but I did have Drowsy and I abused the hell out of it. Really fun evening, constantly coming back as a different orc.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I sooooo want to spawn as the AOW.

Let someone pull me as normal, let them put me in my corner then turn and ignore everyone but the clerics.

Muhahahahah.

And IF you could zone out to WL to chase down the peasants that dared attack you in your home? Mow them down as they run for their lives!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Braselton; 01-11-2023 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: I can’t type
Old 01-11-2023, 01:53 PM
Project Manager

I am a big proponent of this and would like to see it included in some way, maybe even expanded upon.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am a big proponent of this and would like to see it included in some way, maybe even expanded upon.
I love this. You are the king of true classic spirit.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung