Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-31-2023, 06:31 PM
Sarnak

Default Shaman/monk duo, am I doing this right.

As I've said in another thread, convinced my wife to play EQ with me and we've gone Shaman Monk for this experience - it's been very slow but steady and we're up to level 21 now.

Before I ask if I am doing it right, never make your friend/wife that's never played an MMO before have her first character be a puller. I didn't think that aspect through very well.

Mana seems to be an issue, but no canni yet - hopefully that changes things.

I have been casting every buff, which felt good, but going forward should it be:
  • Highest STR buff
  • Highest AC buff
  • Haste
  • Highest STA buff (maybe pointless until higher levels, but heard mend scales)
  • Mid 30s inner fire replacement

From what I've read agi/dex are pointless to waste mana on.

I've been doing burst of strength during fights, quick healing with heal, down time healing with inner fire, and casting a down ranked slow on most mobs, and root adds. No damage anymore from me.

Any tips or advice? Things to change up, or what to do at slightly higher levels. We're pooling the plat and aside from my spells first priority now is getting her a haste item either the hand wraps or fbss.

Further, any recommendations on easy dungeons for this duo/dungeons to 100% avoid?

Lastly, for fd splitting these days without sneak is it really all about having one get back to their spawn, or is there a specific trick to get the walk back timer longer for one?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Until level 24 Shamans aren't very good. You will get a noticeable improvement once you hit 24.

The only buffs you really need to apply in this level range are STR, Haste, Regen, and your best HP buff. STA is optional since you don't get great returns from it at lower levels anyway. If you have the mana, go for it, but you are probably only getting like 30 HP off of it.

AC/Agility aren't really necessary in the lower levels, because the mobs are purposely tuned down to be easier. I wouldn't bother casting them until you start fighting mobs that are level 40+, which means you need to be in your 40s yourself.

Dex is only good to cast on people using proc weapons. Most good proc weapons for monks don't start proccing until level 50, so you are good there too.

Don't use the quick buffs like Burst of Strength. The amount of mana you spend isn't worth the small benefit.

For offensive spells just focus on rooting and slowing. Shaman damage spells have poor mana to damage ratios early on.

Get the Hand Wraps if your money is tight. There is no reason to spend the extra 1.5k or so on FBSS at your level. The main benefit of FBSS is it weighs less than Hand Wraps, and Monk AC gets penalized if you are carrying too much. But at low levels I didn't notice the AC penalty being a big issue on the Monk I am currently leveling. I was generally over weight and still doing just fine.

For FD pulling on a Monk, yeah I don't think there is anything else you can do other than wait until all but 1 mob goes back. Depending on the camp, you could probably just root adds instead of trying to get your wife to perfectly FD pull each time. If she doesn't enjoy it or doesn't want to do it, that is going to end up stopping the EQ sessions hehe.

For dungeons I would recommend doing Crystal Caverns once you get closer to level 30. The ZEM is pretty good, and it is generally not too crowded. You just need to be a bit careful around the Shaman Orcs. Avoid Splitpaw, Dalnir, Droga, and Kaesora. All of those are generally much tougher than the level range they are designed for, or have pathing issues in the case of Splitpaw.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-31-2023 at 07:09 PM..
Old 01-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Until level 24 Shamans aren't very good. You will get a noticeable improvement once you hit 24.

Wow awesome post, thank you! Really looking forward to 24.

I swear I feel when her weight is over in the dmg she takes but that could just be psychological since I am expecting it. Haha.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow awesome post, thank you! Really looking forward to 24.

I swear I feel when her weight is over in the dmg she takes but that could just be psychological since I am expecting it. Haha.
To caveat my experience with my Monk, I have a Fungi Tunic on. So that was absorbing a lot of the damage I took. It is possible going over weight is more noticeable without a Fungi.

At times I have thought the AC bonus was causing me to take more damage, but I think that was just bad luck. With and without the AC penalty I have had NPCs hit me hard like 10x in a row. But I haven't collated data to actually confirm if there is a significant trend or not in terms of how much extra damage you take with the AC penalty active.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-31-2023 at 07:25 PM..
Old 01-31-2023, 07:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To caveat my experience with my Monk, I have a Fungi Tunic on. So that was absorbing a lot of the damage I took. It is possible going over weight is more noticeable without a Fungi.

At times I have thought the AC bonus was causing me to take more damage, but I think that was just bad luck. With and without the AC penalty I have had NPCs hit me hard like 10x in a row. But I haven't collated data to actually confirm if there is a significant trend or not in terms of how much extra damage you take with the AC penalty active.
Just saw your link for youtube at the bottom of your profile, subscribed and will definitely check it out.

Is there ever a point to cast Malise before slow in the future or its upgrades? The other day slow got resisted literally 5x in a row (fighting giants) so I cast a malise which also got resisted, so it's like what's the point?
Old 01-31-2023, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just saw your link for youtube at the bottom of your profile, subscribed and will definitely check it out.

Is there ever a point to cast Malise before slow in the future or its upgrades? The other day slow got resisted literally 5x in a row (fighting giants) so I cast a malise which also got resisted, so it's like what's the point?
Thanks!

The answer is it depends on the mob. Both Malaise and Slow have the same chance of being resisted. This means if you are fighting a mob with low/average resistances, often times it isn't worth the mana to cast Malaise. If you land Malaise, that means you would have landed Slow if you had cast Slow instead.

Malaise is good to cast on mobs that have high resistances, and the fight is going to last longer than the duration of a single slow. In that case, having Malaise applied allows you to land multiple slows easier. But again, if you only need 1 slow per mob, there isn't any point.

The other situation in which Malaise is good is when you want to decrease the chance of root breaking on a mob. This is good in a situation where you are rooting adds that are quite dangerous, and can seriously mess up your encounter if they break early.

Generally speaking you don't need to worry too much about Malaise at your level, since most mobs aren't going to have high resistances, and you probably don't need multiple slows on a single mob. Knowing which mobs need to be Malaised comes with experience and reading the wiki (if it is up to date for the mob you are looking at).
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-31-2023 at 07:53 PM..
Old 01-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Up to about 24 or so stuff dies quick. You're prob better off meleeing and throwing in tainted breath. Topping off with inner fire and keeping sow up. Strength buffs are generally a good return on investment mana-wise. Canni dance with regen on.

At 29 things are hitting a bit harder. You get haste and should probably slow some stuff if its taking a while to kill it. Unless you have a solid weapon I'd prob pull with Tagar's insects and let her take over. Heal if needed but otherwise just canni-med (dance) to top off and keep buffs up. Until buffs last an hour it's a lot of upkeep so just manage your sanity and your hp/mana bars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

Later on it's just a more extreme version but similar. Slow, is becoming a great friend. Heal, med/canni. Some Jaundiced Bone Bracer mixed in if you are a non-iksar.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
As I've said in another thread, convinced my wife to play EQ with me and we've gone Shaman Monk for this experience - it's been very slow but steady and we're up to level 21 now.

Before I ask if I am doing it right, never make your friend/wife that's never played an MMO before have her first character be a puller. I didn't think that aspect through very well.

Mana seems to be an issue, but no canni yet - hopefully that changes things.

I have been casting every buff, which felt good, but going forward should it be:
  • Highest STR buff
  • Highest AC buff
  • Haste
  • Highest STA buff (maybe pointless until higher levels, but heard mend scales)
  • Mid 30s inner fire replacement

From what I've read agi/dex are pointless to waste mana on.

I've been doing burst of strength during fights, quick healing with heal, down time healing with inner fire, and casting a down ranked slow on most mobs, and root adds. No damage anymore from me.

Any tips or advice? Things to change up, or what to do at slightly higher levels. We're pooling the plat and aside from my spells first priority now is getting her a haste item either the hand wraps or fbss.

Further, any recommendations on easy dungeons for this duo/dungeons to 100% avoid?

Lastly, for fd splitting these days without sneak is it really all about having one get back to their spawn, or is there a specific trick to get the walk back timer longer for one?
Reroll and go enc/cleric. It’s better than monk/shaman in like 99% of situations and you will steam roll mobs not to mention she can play cleric which is easier. Make sure she goes human or de for that snare neck, will be a fun duo.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reroll and go enc/cleric. It’s better than monk/shaman in like 99% of situations and you will steam roll mobs not to mention she can play cleric which is easier. Make sure she goes human or de for that snare neck, will be a fun duo.
Monk/Shaman is fine, it's one of the strongest duo's out there.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Monk/Shaman is fine, it's one of the strongest duo's out there.
Not saying it isn’t good. But one of the first things OP said was how making his wife pull was not an ideal situation. It’s not a big deal to reroll in this game, especially at their level. Unless you’re desperate to raid, there’s really no rush. Being lvl 60 isn’t all that interesting IMO.