Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 07-14-2022, 05:24 PM
Large Rat

Default Level 30 Iksar SK wondering about how to prioritize upcoming purchases

Hi!

I’ve got a level 30 Iksar Shadow Knight that I mostly solo with. I’ve dabbled in lots of classes (37 Monk, 35 Enchanter, 34 Druid, 34 Shaman, 32 Ranger), but never gotten a character above 40 on either live or P99, and I’m hoping to make my SK the one to go the distance.

I did some saving and have outfitted myself with an Ebon Mace, an Atramentous Shield, Silver Chitin Hand Wraps, 2x Velium Fire Wedding Rings, a post-nerf Circlet of Shadows, and made myself a full set of Cabilis scale armor (that I’ll be upgrading over the next 10-15 levels with quested Dreadscale armor). I feel quite solidly geared at this point — doing 24-30 in Warslik’s Woods has honestly been a breeze, and I’m starting to save up a little chunk of pp again (currently at ~1500pp).

My question is how y’all would recommend prioritizing upcoming purchases. A few things I’m eyeing medium-to-long-term are: J-boots for quality of life, cooldown reset, and survivability; a regen item (Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate or, eventually, a fungi) for reduced downtime (although I know long-term the bottleneck for SKs is mana regen); a Reaver for better DPS; upgraded haste (RBB or Cloak of Crystalline Waters, maybe?), also for DPS obviously, and it's just fun to hit fast; and a pre-nerf Circlet of Shadow (seems extremely good! But also way more expensive and hard for me to conceptualize its true utility until having one, I think).

Obviously that’s a wide range of items (and prices), most of which are more platinum than I’ve ever had/spent before with any other character, so this might be a sort of academic question at this point, but I think I like having a concrete goal to be saving toward. (I’m also working toward Greenmist, which has been a lot of fun so far and feels like the big goal I have for this character as I get higher in level.)

So, if it were you, which of those things would be your priority/priorities, or are there other items that feel like must-haves that you’d recommend I work toward instead/as well?

Thanks all!
Old 07-14-2022, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

Greenmist > Crown of Narandi > Narandi's Lance(greenmist pretty bad dps at 55) > Sky belt if you're guilded otherwise seahorse belt.

Mana regen is king, greenmist/iksar regen will take care of your health np.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:34 PM
Large Rat

Sweet, that's very helpful, thank you!
Old 07-15-2022, 05:48 PM
Fire Giant

I'd avoid Greenmist for a while as it is no drop, doesn't proc until 46 and is pretty bad DPS. In your position, I'd get a Reaver and grind your way to 46-50 or so. Then you can join a guild and start getting stuff like the sky belt and Narandi loot for free, then sell the Reaver when you upgrade.

I'd also grab some JBoots when convenient, though at 46+ you can just go camp em yourself.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:08 AM
Orc

Cheap global cool down you can get right now with Spyglass or Kromzek Surveyor scope

I'd go with the Kromzek Surveyor Scope, equipable in range slot and gives +5 Int
Last edited by sideshow; 07-30-2022 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-30-2022, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cheap global cool down you can get right now with Spyglass or Kromzek Surveyor scope

I'd go with the Kromzek Surveyor Scope, equipable in range slot and gives +5 Int
I would recommend at least https://wiki.project1999.com/Star_of_Eyes over a spyglass or surveyor scope, if you want something cheap. Personally I hate the zoom effect of those two, even if they are cheap GCD items.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't even bother with a cooldown refresh just for its own sake on this class. It's nice but you can live without it, especially during the leveling process. Use the buff-granting versions like jboots or goblin ear. As a tank it's really beneficial to keep junk buffs on (I typically have minimum two at all times, sometimes more) so the click buffs serve double duty.

Danth
Old 07-30-2022, 11:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't even bother with a cooldown refresh just for its own sake on this class. It's nice but you can live without it, especially during the leveling process. Use the buff-granting versions like jboots or goblin ear. As a tank it's really beneficial to keep junk buffs on (I typically have minimum two at all times, sometimes more) so the click buffs serve double duty.

Danth
I do agree here. I rarely use a GCD item for that purpose on my SK. Usually the only time I will use one for GCD is when I want to FD as fast as possible after a spell cast. Other than that an SK generally doesn't need to spam spells at GCD refresh speed.

EDIT: Meant to say my SK, not my Shaman lol. GCD is obviously necessary on a Shaman.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other than that an SK generally doesn't need to spam spells at GCD refresh speed.
To be fair, I use mine a great deal because it lets me use three aggro spells in the span I can otherwise use two, hence it's great for situations where I want to frontload as much threat as possible. However, I also played my guy a couple years before I had one at all and I got by alright.

It's similar to the pernerf invis click item...I have an SK with one (my guy) and one without (the wife's 55 SK alt) and while I like the instant invis, in truth I don't miss it ALL that much if I log on the other one for some reason. It's not like it breaks the character.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, I use mine a great deal because it lets me use three aggro spells in the span I can otherwise use two, hence it's great for situations where I want to frontload as much threat as possible. However, I also played my guy a couple years before I had one at all and I got by alright.

It's similar to the pernerf invis click item...I have an SK with one (my guy) and one without (the wife's 55 SK alt) and while I like the instant invis, in truth I don't miss it ALL that much if I log on the other one for some reason. It's not like it breaks the character.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it doesn't help if you want to use one. But from my experience at least I don't need to cast spells that fast to pull agro. Typically if I am in a group and someone keeps pulling agro while you are spamming Disease Cloud, the problem is the group member hehe, not your casting speed.

One exception to this is if you are grouping with a heavily geared monk/rogue. At that point you probably want to bust out GCD to keep agro. At that point they are just pulling agro naturally because they hit too much hehe.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-30-2022 at 11:57 PM..