Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Sarnak

Default missing fleeing mob

I have a problem with this one particular game mechanic

I solo most of the time (shaman) and when I get the mob low enough so they start fleeing, I suddenly start missing A LOT with my 1hb or piercing (both skills maxed) when I’m trying to finish them.

I mean like 5-10 times in a row... while it never happens when I’m tanking the mob - I hit at least 2 out of 3 times.

What sense does it make to miss so many times in a row when trying to hit slowly fleeing mob in their fucking back?! I usually just lose my patience and cast DD to finish them off which only wastes my precious mana.

I don’t see any logic in this and not sure whether it was like this back in the day…. any thoughts on this?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Aviak

Maybe it's attempt to add more "realism" to the game. I mean think about it...have you ever stood face to face with someone and just slugged it out with something (like water noodles, foam swords, pillows, etc)? It's pretty easy to hit them...they are really close and not moving. Now have them run away from you while you follow behind trying to swing. It's much, much more difficult to land those hits! The client can't visually portray it, but I like to think the mob is bobbing, weaving, ducking, and generally trying to avoid dying as it meanders away from me at a comfortable walking speed.

Either that or it's a bad string of code...but the first option is much more exciting. (And yes, I've noticed this too...my miss chance seems to quadruple when it's fleeing).
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe it's attempt to add more "realism" to the game. I mean think about it...have you ever stood face to face with someone and just slugged it out with something (like water noodles, foam swords, pillows, etc)? It's pretty easy to hit them...they are really close and not moving. Now have them run away from you while you follow behind trying to swing. It's much, much more difficult to land those hits! The client can't visually portray it, but I like to think the mob is bobbing, weaving, ducking, and generally trying to avoid dying as it meanders away from me at a comfortable walking speed.

Either that or it's a bad string of code...but the first option is much more exciting. (And yes, I've noticed this too...my miss chance seems to quadruple when it's fleeing).
that is actually pretty good explanation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I like it although I have some doubt it was Devs intention....its more like its just a bad string of code imo
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yea it sucks. I kinda remember it being that way on Live too.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Aviak

Well I guess it's not just me having this problem lol.. I have this happen all the time and usually results in more adds, although It would be nice to see if there is a bad string in codes here..

IMO, post this in the bugs section and see what happens or if you get a response.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Fire Giant

Bear in mind that the random number generator in EQ has always been kind of streaky. Add that to the compounding penalties that stack up, especially during this era of the game, and Murphy's Law often reigns supreme. It's not bad code, just bad luck. Keeping offense and melee skills capped is about all you can do, really.

At least you can chalk it up to trying to melee as a priest. My main during this era of the live game was a SK....The whiff streaks happended so often when it really counted that I was close to kicking a hole in a wall a few times....And SKs are tanks.

Welcome to EQ, I guess. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to try to explain it with realism, then what you think is basically the opposite of what would make sense.

Situation 1: An unscratched monster is standing toe-to-toe with you, watching your weapons and ready to dodge, parry, block, and riposte your attacks.

Situation 2: A beaten-to-within-an-inch-of-death monster is slowly limping away while also facing away from any attack you send its way.

In which situation do you think it should be easier to club the poor little fella?

Also snack kick realism wtf lol?!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to try to explain it with realism, then what you think is basically the opposite of what would make sense.

Situation 1: An unscratched monster is standing toe-to-toe with you, watching your weapons and ready to dodge, parry, block, and riposte your attacks.

Situation 2: A beaten-to-within-an-inch-of-death monster is slowly limping away while also facing away from any attack you send its way.

In which situation do you think it should be easier to club the poor little fella?

Also snack kick realism wtf lol?!
Well I was being light-hearted with my explanation. I don't think anyone believes it was an attempt at realism. Try not to over-think things, it can only frustrate you =P
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Fire Giant

Wudan were you actually *missing*, or did it say "your target is out of range" or "you cannot see your target" due to your client and the server not synchronizing well?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucLangur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wudan were you actually *missing*, or did it say "your target is out of range" or "you cannot see your target" due to your client and the server not synchronizing well?
I have this same issue, and I'm "missing".. Happens all the time on fleeing mobs