Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Aviak

Default P99 on Linux Mint

I used to play p99 on a windows desktop but have been away for years. I'm trying to get back into Norrath, but the only computer I have is a laptop running Linux mint. I'm not at all familiar with Linux and don't know where to start. I know there is a guide for linux users but I don't understand much of the technical jargon and again....i'm not familiar enough with linux to get it working...I'm becoming discouraged.

Help?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

But really you don't need a guide:
  1. Install WINE via your distribution's package manager.
  2. Download, install, and patch Titanium.
  3. Run "wine eqgame.exe patchme" from your EQ directory.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

P.S. That guide is a little old, but it's a wiki, so if anything seems wrong about it feel free to fix it!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Sarnak

I had a lot of trouble with one monitor (couldn't click the skill point up/down boxes on character creation) but switching monitors fixed that problem. Was a resolution issue.

There is one outstanding bug with WINE EQ. You cannot drag the mouse w/ mouselook past the ends of the screen. If you were going to use a modern quake-style control scheme, you will be disappointed.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:40 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is one outstanding bug with WINE EQ. You cannot drag the mouse w/ mouselook past the ends of the screen. If you were going to use a modern quake-style control scheme, you will be disappointed.
I haven't experienced this limitation at all.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

apparently this is an issue with nvidia cards. I have a friend who spent a lot of time working on this, and iirc the fix is to use certain wine versions. He settled on using a recent version of wine-staging. I believe that an easy way to achieve this is using lutris, which provides an easy way to install and try a number of different wine versions. I think "lutris-5.4" is the same as the wine-staging version that he ended up using
Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I have just got P1999 running using Steam on Linux! This solved my mouse look issues and I can even use the in-game graphics settings (brightness ect.) that didnt work at all in Wine for me. Just add P1999 as a non-steam game, then use the GE proton runtime.

This is the proton runtime I'm using:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/p...ustom/releases
Old 04-20-2020, 11:14 PM
Kobold

im a linux noob but i patched my files very carefully and getting xml error on start up. i did just like Ioramin said not sure what im doing wrong

<Grunny Swampskin>Retired
<Brennard>Retired
<Alton> Retired
<Vizuni>
Old 04-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

There's generally three things you can play with on Linux
  1. winecfg: run it and enable/disable the checkboxes for Emulate a Virtual Desktop; if that doesn't help, try enabling/disabling the two "windows controls" checkboxes next to it
  2. drivers (on Linux Mint use the Driver Manager in menu): switch to different versions of your graphics card driver (eg. proprietary instead of open source, or vice versa, or just slightly newer/older versions of each)
  3. wine itself: try playing with slightly different versions of Wine (eg. staging vs. development)

It's all a lot more of a guessing game than an exact science. Good luck.

Last edited by loramin; 04-21-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Old 05-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Large Rat

Hello there. I recently created a shell script to install Project1999 on Linux, specifically tested on Linux Mint. All you need is a torrent client, the rest is done for you.

A friend was tired of manually setting everything up on new machines. I did a little digging on the P99 on Linux wiki and threw together a small script. It should work on any Debian based distribution, but if you are using another distribution you can just install the required packages manually before running the script.

I'll add other distribution support in the future. Script was thrown together quickly and is a little rough, feel free to change it as you please.

https://github.com/ftn806/P99-Linux-Installer