Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Aviak

Question Starting points - do they really matter that much?

Hi there,

I've read a couple threads where wise people discuss about where to put the starting points for different classes. I'm not going to repeat what has been posted, but would like to generally ask: Does it even matter?

From what I've gathered in the wiki 1 point of STA gives under best circumstances 6 HP. So putting 20 points into STA translates to 120 HP at level 60. Well, I am getting hit by 110 damage swings from level 37 mobs so I guess a level 60 mob will quad for 200+ a swing. (Don't really now - don't have high level experience.)

Another example:

Putting 20 points into INT will give you under best circumstances just enough mana for a single nuke or maybe 2? Will this save the day?

What I mean is, the few points at character creation - does it really matter that much where you put them?

I guess I am missing something so please someone correct and enlighten me!

Thank you!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Fire Giant

Some stats are easier to max (255) than others with late game gear and buffs. Stamina is generally considered the hardest stat to max, because only one shaman buff works instead of two like other melee stats. Any wasted points could have been spent capping something you do not have maxed. While 120 health doesn't sound like a bunch, it really is when the complete healing spell becomes a factor.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

It depends on what your goals in the game are. Most people don't make it to 60, much less walk around in end game gear fully buffed by a shaman.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Aviak

Mostly, I dont believe it matters much.

Exceptions would be that you wanted to tank and you are not as efficient as your competition... you might see this in raid progression.

Having more mana for a quad may be a good trade if you do other things while afk.

And if you did want to reroll and fix this there is still time to level up before Luclin doesnt get released.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some stats are easier to max (255) than others with late game gear and buffs. Stamina is generally considered the hardest stat to max, because only one shaman buff works instead of two like other melee stats. Any wasted points could have been spent capping something you do not have maxed. While 120 health doesn't sound like a bunch, it really is when the complete healing spell becomes a factor.
yea and you gotta realise that over time, those small gains make for big differences..

like say you're a shaman.. after ytou get all the gear you want, you'll look down and be like holy shit I have +1300 hp.. and my highest individual HP item is like 85hp..

so yea, it adds up!

I had the same problems with resists.. I was always like, really do I need to trip about that +10 mr item? or +20 fire? its like I have no other fire gear...

But then when I got all that blue diamond, and went full resist, suddenly I was like 150 unbuffed for all resists!!

I would have never thought I could get so high, just equipping shitty items like +7mr vambracers from Najina.. how can that make a dif?!? well.. let me assure you, if you embrace these small gains, it does.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 AM
Aviak

Yeah, I agree on the resists. Every bit you gain provides a better save roll against a resist check. But that doesn't compare to +120 HP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I din't know that stamina is the hardest stat to max. If this is true then yes, it absolutely makes sense to put all or most of your points into that stat.

But it was also said that most people don't even make it to 60 or even to raiding (which might be true for me). So Instead of stamina I could put them into strength to not make that little dark elf shadow knight go encumbered for the first 30 levels of his career [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So I guess the true answer is:
Will you be a max level guy performing max level stuff (then go STAM) or will you be the casual guy just roaming through Norrath, camping stuff etc. and have fun that way (go with the stat that helps you the most when starting).

Does that make sense?

Edit: Woot - turned from Orc into Aviak with that post LOL
Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 AM
Fire Giant

I think the real question is: Will you be twinked from level 1? If not and you are a weak race, you will not make it far without added strength. You will give up your ever encumbered turtle.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Large Rat

No it doesn't matter. Does it make a difference? Sure, but not much of one as you have already realized )
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Sarnak

My wizard is all int/mana, even to the point of redundancy (past soft cap).
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Large Rat

For plate type melee, if you're going to get plate / banded / bronze armor early on, then the initial weight of that plus bags ( 3.0 wt for each basic backpack), multiple weapons to keep your skills near your level cap, in addition to loot / coin ( don't forget to bank excess and convert coin up to plat at the banker to reduce weight); It will all add up faster than you think.

It really depends if you want to try Min/Max ing, or being more comfortable running around and picking up loot to sell, depending on the starting strength of your race.

As far as casters go, you still get mana per Int past the soft cap of 200, it just is less per pt and you look for items with more +mana and less +int for overall max mana gain.
Closed Thread