Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Default INT/WIS Over 200 Should be One Mana Per Point

Sorry if this has been addressed in the past, but it has been nagging at me since I first started playing here and I have never noticed it discussed.

In classic Everquest, when you exceeded 200int or 200wis, you would only recieve ONE point of mana for every point of INT and WIS beyond that. This was not changed to the diminishing returns system that we now have until after Velious.

This was my memory but I doubted it. So I did a little digging:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4668

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So this means that casters on this server have a lot more mana than they actually should. A level 60 with 255 has 330 more mana when it should only be 55 more mana. Is this a client side issue that cannot be easily fixed?

I also have no idea if the other stats had as extreme as a reduction beyond 200, this is just WIS/INT that I knew for sure.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 03-22-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Here is a classic P99 post from me in 2010 also asking this question with your classic brain way of thinking

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ana+calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah whatever is going on the cap for int/wis seems to not be classic or this would be cut and dry, and int/wis past 200 you add is 1 mana, so either we need to get this changed or we need to figure out the actual mechanism of whats going on

i agree though it might be using a cap from a later expansion which makes sense
I cant believe I remembered the title for this search haha what a nerd
Last edited by Erati; 03-22-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

I also remember INT/WIS post 200 giving very minimal returns, but I thought post lvl 50 it was 2 or possibly 3pts per INT/WIS over 200, not 5 or 6 like it is here.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So this means that casters on this server have a lot more mana than they actually should. A level 60 with 255 has 330 more mana when it should only be 55 more mana. Is this a client side issue that cannot be easily fixed?

I also have no idea if the other stats had as extreme as a reduction beyond 200, this is just WIS/INT that I knew for sure.
I like this.

There is no reason on P99 to not gear all the way to 255 wis/int.

Just speculating, but a fix could run into the same client/server issue as mana regen/skill points, the client thinking one value is higher/correct, but the server has the true correct value.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20011204.html

Luclin release day patch:

Quote:
Gameplay Changes:

Increased the amount of mana given by high Intelligence and Wisdom scores, as well as that granted by items and spells.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

Likely that all stats - str dex agi resists etc - above 200 had something similar to this in their formulas
Old 03-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

While I don't doubt this... I seem to recall that beyond 200 was mostly eye candy.

Please keep in mind, you weren't able to display your mans value in your UI until July 2004. So telling your exact mana would be difficult without ShowEQ. So being able to tell your actual mana gains wasn't that easy during classic.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

September 2000 EQCleric

Quote:

According to the folks over at hackersquest the amount of mana you get per wisdom over is drastically reduced. From all accounts I've seen its around 1 wis = 1.5 mana or there abouts. GZ admitted there was a soft cap at 200 but refused to give any details.

As for myself I've filled 2 ten slot bags full of resist gear and I have another 10 slot filled with various AC and +mana items. In the bank I have an 8 slot bag with 2 resist potions for fire, cold, poison, and disease. For a dragon I try for at least 100 unbuffed resistance from gear before spells, potions, and songs while maintaning 180 wisdom (I usually get Enlightenment).

For dragons like trakanon I shoot for 200 poison, 200 wisdom, +250 in mana items so I can cast 1 annul magic and 3 word of restorations.

Smegal BoneMender - High Priest of Afterlife.
June 2001 EQCleric

Quote:
Thanks Wyn. I knew about the (level*wis)/5 part but not the rest. Now my calculations match with castersrealm.

But they left off a part.

IF your total wisdom is more than 200 then you must do the following...

Take your wisdom and subtract 200. Now, use 200 as your wisdom for calculations as normal but when you add in +mana items you also need to add in the value you obtained by subtracting 200.

I have 211 wis, 210 in +mana and am level 57 so here's how it goes.

Step 1.

If(wis > 200)
211 - 200 = 11

Else do nothing

Step 2

If(wis > 200) wis = 200

(200*57)/5+2*30 + 210 + 11 = 2615 mana

Check my math

For you
(30*150)/5+2*30 +0 mana +0 extra wis= 960

Each point of wis beyond 200 is +1 mana. That is the soft cap.

------------------
Boanerges Thundercry
Erudite Templar of Prexus
Cohort Chalybeius
Cazic Thule Server
October 2001 EQCleric

Quote:
I seem to recall it's 1 mana per wisdom. But higher wisdom seems to help with fizzles. Someone once posted some tests here on that.

Then here is the change in Luclin:

January 2002 EQCleric

Quote:
possible get near 255 wis. That is the cap; SOL changed it from 200 to 255. Resists are not that important for normal exping, but when you do start raiding, resists are your best friend
Quote:
If getting gear slows your leveling down, then don't worry about gear. Level>Gear.

The difference between 200wis and 255 at 60 is 330mana by current numbers. That's "alot" of mana by +mana standards, but it's still not a CH and it's not gonna make a 255 wis cleric significantly better then a 200 wisdom cleric.
Quote:
Every wisdom above 200 at lvl 60 is worth 6 mana, so don't dumb 30mana for 4wis unless you get better stats out of it ac resists and such.

------------------
Shieze Athenia
60th High Priest of the Rathe
Member of Spirit of Tunare
People speak with high degrees of confidence here. The evidence supports the findings shown in the OP.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

I just remembered how good this classicquest was.

I'm guessing this may be a client limitation... But if we could get this, man would some of those longer fights become a bit more tense. Losing 1 CH worth of mana on each cleric would be tough.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

If the client is written in a vaguely competent way, it should only be necessary to hack the max mana calculation in one place. Removing 250 mana from casters isn't game breaking, but it would definitely reduce the value of all this NTOV gear, as 200 INT/WIS is really easy to hit even with resist gear (rabble rabble with a classic hardcap all of that AC is pretty pointless anyway rabble rabble).

Do we have any good evidence about stamina also being softcapped at 200? Dex I'm pretty sure was not.