Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

Aww. High levels killing lowbies made me miss Eve Online.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People wonder why Eve Online is dying.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I random PKed quite a bit in Lineage II, but PvP was (usually) more satisfying.
I guess PK means slaughtering noobs. Didn't know that, cool.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The sublime joys of being a little shit.

This is part of the reason the post console release Battlefields blow hard. They refined the gameplay, removed aspects of 'griefing' so that they are more of a linear experience. Sneaking behind enemy lines, sabotaging their ships, plans, tanks.. laying mines outside of spawn areas.. anything for a goofy laugh. New games try to focus on life like graphics and realisms while using marketing as a crutch.

PVP is Anti-Grief, Balance Queefed dog vomit. Although I do acknowledge there are far more kids on computers than way back when, which spoils this a bit. Especially in the streaming age. I like blowing up old guys more than I do some snotty nosed 12 year old, plus the banter is usually better quality.
Last edited by Mblake81; 01-19-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Played eve again recently. People are still suicide ganking miners, scammers still spamming jita and deep null sec war never changes. With that splash of paranoia that your corp-mate is actually working for the enemy corp/alliance.
It's great.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Planar Protector

Eve online was a lot of fun
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If that's what you're into sure, but PKing (player killing/player killer) people usually comes with a consequence and randomly killing noobs just isn't worth the risk involved, and I guess my targets weren't exactly random. I would non-consentually murder people who wouldn't fight back who needed to be forcibly removed from an area for reasons or just to deliver a hearty fuck you to someone who deserved it.
Last edited by Cecily; 01-19-2020 at 08:10 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If that's what you're into sure, but PKing (player killing/player killer) people usually comes with a consequence and randomly killing noobs just isn't worth the risk involved, and I guess my targets weren't exactly random. I would non-consentually murder people who wouldn't fight back who needed to be forcibly removed from an area for reasons or just to deliver a hearty fuck you to someone who deserved it.
I wasn't sassing. It sounds like the rules of that game penalized resistance if there was zero hope of victory. That's one model.

Like everything, PK vs PVP comes down to informed consent. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hopefully Amazon.com finds a better way.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Amazon Studios developers obviously never played very much Ultima Online.
Miss sending armies of tamed chickens after people, then the guards killing them when they had to hack their way outta the wall of chickens.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It doesn't of course. In the environment I came up through (MMO-flightsims) we made fun of those types. Vulching/spawn camping/lowbie ganking has always been the refuge of terrible players. Good players don't do that type of thing very much because they don't need to. I like winning against folks who're themselves considered good. There's no satisfaction in clubbing baby seals who can't effectively fight back. It's only the useless folks who can't win any other way who regularly gravitate to that sort of thing.

I'm not surprised Amazon decided to curtail the ability of that crowd to ruin their game, but I'm surprised they even had to in the sense that it's naive at best to think it wouldn't be a problem in an open PvP setting. I suppose that's human nature though, every generation has to re-learn lessons of the past.

Danth
Closed Thread