Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh Nagoya you made me change my mind now back to shadowknight cos you're right a lot monks means a lot of their stuff is expensive. Guess I'll have to avoid Gash and live it out.

ack just read what Twochain said now back to indecision ,I'll level both to 10 and then decide.
You really shouldn't base your decision on cost of gear between a monk and shadow knight because they are about even. In either case you will want haste and a weapon as the main things you are saving for.

For 2h options you can get a Deathbringers Rod (30/40 SK only) for 200pp. You can get a Wu Quivering Staff (23/28 mnk only) for 100pp

You can get a Mace of Shadowed Soul (19/29) for the SK for about 750pp if you play your cards right, and you can get a Wu Trace Stick (7/18) for about 100pp

For off hand Atramentous Shield for SK is actually freaking amazing and costs the same as a Staff of Shielding which is what you would want for monk off hand...

The cost of gearing the characters with mid level gear will be literally within 100's of PP of each other which is completely trivial.

It really does come down to flare - Monks do more damage and have some cool toys... SKs are true tanks with cool toys and some fun spells that are minimally useful (aside form agro).

ShadowKnight fashionquest is considerably more bad ass than Monk and this can not be discounted. Most monks on P99 look exactly the same leveling up, its pretty easy to tell the twinks from non twinks. SK is a bit more ambiguous and you probably wont be judged on gear quite as harshly.

just my 2coppers

EDIT: If you don't want to tank or pull then you are barking up the wrong tree with Monk/SK - I would recommend a Bard (although you will be asked to pull or tank from time to time) or a Ranger
Last edited by Spyder73; 10-11-2017 at 03:09 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Those costs are within my reach . Thanks for breaking that down. I mean the 100pp ones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bard cannot I am pushing 60 I cannot twist songs and such my hands will cry and go on strike. My husband will divorce me if he has to pay for any game related injuries.
Last edited by jacal; 10-11-2017 at 03:13 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

I have a 52 Bard also and can confirm they are a pain in the a$$ to play 'correctly'. None of these melee classes are going to be able to solo like you are used to on necro and shaman and I feel you will end up disappointed.

If you want a true solo character I STRONGLY advise you to roll an enchanter and learn the game breaking power of Charm. I have actually never done enchanter but I have a druid and necromancer I Charm on and its seriously ridiculous the power of Charm. Charming on a necromancer is not really viable until closer to level 50 from my experience. Druid a little moreso because snares and SoW can keep you alive. but enchanter is the total package when it comes to charm killing
Old 10-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

Go with sk, you'll enjoy the added perks of having spells, fear kiting, and being able to carry loot. If you do choose monk definitely go iksar and put all your starting points into sta.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been playing and have advanced my Shaman and Necromancer but I have such a problem (self created by altitiss) ... my other characters are below 10
If you can't even level your mains to level 10 I really don't think any of the advice in this thread will be relevant to you. It doesn't matter whether you pick monk or shadow knight if you won't even get them to level 10, because both classes (and indeed all classes in EQ) more or less play like a warrior for their first few levels.

My advice: pick one character and play them to at least 20 (or maybe 19 for a Wisdom caster). If you make another level 5 "alt" their class won't matter much as you'll be seeing less than 20% of what it actually entails. The only way you'll ever actually get a feel for a class is if you stick with it for some time.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-11-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I must explain that I cannot tank because I suck at dungeons and I also suck at pulling. I'm only talking about playing them for fun factor not looking to tank,pull or anything like that for groups and I may solo mostly because I think people's expectation of my non existent skills might get me scolded. I will explain I am an awful melee player which is why I always play healers. I do however enjoy playing different classes for flavour and fun. I am not looking to take this class and tank or play at the top.
you've apparently never made it past 10, give yourself a chance to learn.
for a SK to simply tank, if you remove all the fluff that would make you a good tank, you can just get near the mob, auto-attack, cast disease cloud on it and then mash Taunt everytime it pops and that should honestly work 95% of the time until level 30 when you get FD and camps get more difficult. As far as "expectations" go.

On the other hand for the monk, people will expect you to pull from level 17 and over. Because you have the cheezy version of Feign Death and it's your official role, but also because most EQ players are lazy and pulling is the most 'active' role in a group hehe.

if you're really settled on the SK vs Monk dilemna and skill is an issue, I would pick the SK, get it to level 20 as Loramin says, and then we'll talk again ^^

PS: it is possible to do 1-60 solo with any class naked if you want to fight only super safe low green mobs and level up extreeeemely slowly. I'm not so sure it is a very fun version of Everquest tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but that's up to you to decide hehe.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Monks are comparatively very cheap to play and gear up. A 100p weapon for monk is viable dps honestly up to 60. You'll want to upgrade weapons eventually but a replacement 2h (28/30 vs 38/40) is only a 5k leap. Beyond that, you really only need to shoot for some 5ac/55hp rings, cured silk (or wus or crescent) and a cheap 2k haste item. You can decently gear up a monk with like 3kpp. Monks can function in mostly rags. Avoidance and AC bonus really are that strong.

To gear up a SK to the same comparable power level you'd need to 10x that much cash.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have actually played the original version from 1999 to about 2001 and I managed to get a wizard to 60 . I just started playing a few days ago and that's the reason I have not advanced beyond level 10 . Well actually the Necromancer is level 10 and the Shaman 9. Of course creating a few alts will not help that but I have played this game right until Velious and did come back briefly in Luclin but I never stayed because everyone I knew had more or less left.

Thank you for all the responses it has given me much food for thought and given me a better understanding of how much it will cost. It was very kind of you all to respond thoughtfully and helpfully. It is a testament to the type of people who play and it makes me very happy I decided to play Project 1999 after leaving Everquest all those years ago.

I am sorry if I came off as being a little flighty and unable to commit to one character . I am actually just trying things out again and honestly it was a trip back down memory lane and I have been enjoying that more than anything else and eager to do things I never did before.
Last edited by jacal; 10-11-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Fire Giant

orc fang earring x2 (400pp)
5ac 55hp rings x2 (500pp)
lamentation + cracked darkwood shield (600pp)
full set of bronze armor (100pp)

that's 1600pp for the "same comparable power level" i think in terms of just being able to tank random PUG level 1-40.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

Shadow Knight is basically tank/necro (you caN still FD eventually)

I started my first SK naked on red launch & solo'd/grouped til about 30 and still had a blast

I'm sure it would be doubly so on blue with the group, buffs, etc opportunities

jus my 2cp
Closed Thread