Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, when you practice guitar you get better at guitar, but when you practice EQ you get better at EQ and these are different?

Or are you saying that if you were suddenly given the game with level 60 gear you could do as well as someone who played to 60? (That is in fact, what you said.)

Yeah, no.

Guitar may be a HARDER skill (or more meaningful, or whatever), and EQ may be characterized as "pew pew" as you so delightfully like to denigrate it as, but it is still a skill. Useful? No. Difficult? Somewhat, but not really.

But still a skill.
No, Yeah.
YOU are not getting better at EQ.

Becuase of game progression your sprite is simply getting more powerful.

All you are doing is saving plat for better atl+1-8s, putting on better pixels for better stats to deal better damage. You, as a person are honing 0 skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What the hell do you people think "skill" means?

Is anything short of performing complex brain surgery or writing a symphony "just a time sink"?

It takes skill to shoot a free throw. It takes more skill to be a star in the NBA. If it didn't take skill to shoot a free throw, then toddlers would be shooting 100%. Just because there is a difference in degree of difficulty doesn't mean the easier task does not require skill.
itt comparing eq to brain surgery, pro basketball.
some things require such nominal amount of effort you can't rightfully call it a skill. Making peanut butter and jelly? is that a skill? By your all-inclusive definition, yes. But we don't pride ourselves (beyond the age of 13anyway) in how badass we can make a pb&j

And don't try to tell me it takes real skill to heal. All it requires is that you half assedly pay attention to health levels. and understand the simplest math (4 second cast, 3 second recast time etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am ... but then again I'm also irritated by your misspelling of the word "mispelling" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

By that logic anyone who can hit CTRL+S and ALT+3 would make an equally good cleric ... but obviously that's not the case. There's skill in deciding when to hit those buttons: if you do it too early you waste mana, and if you do it too late your tank dies. And that assumes you never have to heal anyone else in your group, that no one else in the zone is begging you for a rez, etc.

I'm not saying EQ takes lots of skill, but it definitely does take skill. And if you do something more interesting than a safe group (eg. soloing HS), it can actually take a decent amount of skill.

... still probably less skill than those miniature painters though; that shit is hard.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
typographical errors are a thing, of this I am fairly certain.

Looser being used in place of loser 15 times =/= typographical error.
Last edited by Xer0; 06-10-2014 at 05:35 AM..
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Planar Protector

i can do things on my bard that some of the best geared bards on the server can't do...

why is that do you think?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i can do things on my bard that some of the best geared bards on the server can't do...

why is that do you think?
must be your mad skill
lol
Old 06-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
must be your mad skill
lol
yep. your notion that there is no skill in EQ is just wrong.

you can argue that most people that play eq either suck at it or don't need skill for what they choose to do.

But, go look at the elite players on this server (start with the solo artists, for example) and you'll easily see that their game play is not primarily driven by their pixels/gear. they have a skill.

i'm not sure why you can't get over that...its only a video game, sure...but there is some skill gaming. imo, if there no skill at all in gaming most of wouldn't enjoy playing them so much.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Planar Protector

I think there is definitely skill involved. Some classes bring that out more than others. When you've got a tough fight going with 4 merbs in camp, and everyone is just barely surviving, your skill in playing your character makes a difference. If you are standing around with a bunch of overgeared min maxers just grinding through loads of easy mobs, not so much.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'm not sure why you can't get over that
Rationalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, Yeah.
YOU are not getting better at EQ.

Becuase of game progression your sprite is simply getting more powerful.

All you are doing is saving plat for better atl+1-8s, putting on better pixels for better stats to deal better damage. You, as a person are honing 0 skill.
So you and I should be equally successful at soloing a betabuffed enchanter through a Velious zone, right? Since we will have the same pixels? Since I've never honed a skill with all the days I've spent playing an enchanter in classic and kunark zones? Let's do it. I'll stream it!
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 06-10-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Anyone who knows how to REALLY play guitar would know that it requires much more skill than ANY game. To strum a few chords and call yourself a guitar player is like fixing a flat tire and calling yourself a mechanic.

ITT: So, from what I'm hearing I guess there's lots of shitty guitarists around here, lol
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who knows how to REALLY play guitar would know that it requires much more skill than ANY game. To strum a few chords and call yourself a guitar player is like fixing a flat tire and calling yourself a mechanic.

ITT: So, from what I'm hearing I guess there's lots of shitty guitarists around here, lol
One, the question he raised isn't about the amount of skill...its whether there is skill AT ALL.

Obviously, there are different tasks that require different amounts of skill (talent and learned ability). Just because something is only a game however has nothing to do with the amount of skill needed to do it good or to perfection.

One of the most interesting observations about humanity is how much energy we put into developing skill sets that have no immediate application to our day to day survival...and require tremendous skill and time to master. I'm not claiming that EQ is such an endeavor, but anyone who has played a sport at top levels of competition knows that being only a game doesn't make the tasks any easier or less skillful to master.

I'd be interested in watching a heads-up-display-of-no-skill-required-competition between Tecmos and Xer0.

Its so obvious that playing EQ well requires a developed skill (call it natural reaction time, call it a learning curve, call it a knowledge base, etc.) that you almost have to think its trolling.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

As someone who played a bard on live from launch until depths of darkhollow, the game absolutely took skill to play.

When you look at the bard class, you have an incredibly large toolkit, and you had to learn how to apply that toolkit to all the various situations you would encounter as a raid bard.

Hell, there was a raid boss in BoT Towers that i would use deftdance + song of highsun to split, when they were supposed to be aggro linked and fought together.

There were quite a few nights in PoFire when there were 2 guilds in zone fighting over the namers that spawned in the field. By your argument, it was a simple 50/50 coinflip as to which of us would end up with a named, right? Except somehow our pulling team used to consistently beat the other guilds pulling teams and end up with most of the raid mobs.

Maybe because i was a raid puller for 6+ years, but pulling most certainly took skill. Especially when racing against other guilds in the open world content.

There were a lot of things that I was able to do that other bards did not know how to do, because i spent years learning how to play the class. Isn't that the definition of skill?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

I wasn't disputing anything other than the bad analogy of playing a video game =/= and the guitar argument. I will agree that the learning curve for EQ is very harsh if someone has never played before or never known ALL the little secrets that some (or most) know around here it would make any game difficult. I have played sports at higher levels in several forms (All Star baseball (no, not little league, lol), Volleyball for U.S. Army & free play in Ft. Lauderdale beach, dozens of static line, free, or chopper blast parachuting excursions (no I was not tandem) ..... but there's just no way any of that can equal pressing auto attack or clicking a button to root something.

YES; there IS some level of attendance one would need to keep timers on spawns, buffs, item recharging & all that EQ stuff that comes along in the package of the game but to consider it anything like a rough game of lacrosse is just ludicrous.

Natural reaction time = 1 can say the same just to drive a car....
Learning curve = agreed*

I think when u say knowledge base; you hit it more on the head.... it just requires the player to know the game inside and out (at least from people that seem to have knowledge of every little shred of what npc walks to what loc point, drops X item z% of the time & takes a shit @ every noon.) Some people have time for that... some don't.

P.S. = I played a bard on live for several years - did the whole carpal tunnel craziness before the /melody thing. Sorry but pressing 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, 7, 7, still does not require much more skill than tapping a finger. Next we'll have Olympic sandwich making because people will think that it takes skill & some have gone to subway college to learn this ultimate skill, lol
Closed Thread