Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Eq is more about the plan than the execution. Execution is often easy, but that is one thing I like about this game. Strategy I enjoy. Lightning speed reaction times are not my strength
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Again, no one is arguing playing a game is equal in skill to playing olympic level sports.

But to argue that its not a skill at all is false.

"Sorry but pressing 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, 7, 7, still does not require much more skill than tapping a finger"

You're right. And strumming a chord doesn't require much more skill than moving your hand and tapping a finger on a string.

When you strip away all thought process and knowledge required from an action, and boil it down to just its simple motor movements, anything sounds simple. "throwing a football is really just swinging your arm"

Why did you pick songs 1, 2, 5, and 7? When do you play songs 3 and 4 and 6 and 8? What songs did you pick for 3/4/6/8? What are you doing while twisting 1/2/5/7? Just standing stationary completely zoned out? Are you moving/positioning based on fight? Are you reacting to any fight mechanics? Are you helping coordinate the raid via chat or voice communication?

You seem to be under the impression that video games are always 100% rote memorization of a task, and other things are dynamic skills.

I can show you people "playing" a guitar that have simply mechanically memorized a motor movement to specific timing. They don't understand notes or music and if you asked them to deviate from what they're doing and personalize it at all, they could not.

I can show you people playing a video game that are reading and reacting and making decisions/judgement calls based on variable inputs. You put them in the middle of a raid and throw a whole new mechanic at them that they were not expecting and they could adapt to it and survive.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. = I played a bard on live for several years - did the whole carpal tunnel craziness before the /melody thing. Sorry but pressing 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, 7, 7, still does not require much more skill than tapping a finger. Next we'll have Olympic sandwich making because people will think that it takes skill & some have gone to subway college to learn this ultimate skill, lol
If that was the extent of what you were able to do on a bard then, yes, you had no skill.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Lmmfao at your elitist attitude over a friggin game.
Yes; my example was what every bard BUT YOU did... what a tool.
Where were you when we needed that extra squad in Tiger Beach?
Just go lay down, lol
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If that was the extent of what you were able to do on a bard then, yes, you had no skill.
I'd have to agree there. I was generally our puller/pull coordinator, our tank coordinator, our heal coordinator, and our CC coordinator. I was usually in about 10 chat channels during a raid. Had to keep up manual twists while directing most of the raid around the various mechanics.

The Bertox event comes to mind, I remember being on a 1280x1024 monitor, with chat boxes filling all but probably 320x200 in the middle, for ~2 hours.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

google skill definitions:

the ability to do something well; expertise.

a particular ability.

and wikipedia:

A skill is the learned ability to carry out a task with pre-determined results often within a given amount of time, energy, or both

from websters:

the ability to do something that comes from training, experience, or practice

the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance

dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks

a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability

By virtually every defition of skill, playing a game like EQ requires skill.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

LOL, whatever dude; there's no way to talk to some people because they will never be wrong. More importantly tho; why waste all this time with such skill when you all could be doing something much more fulfilling like curing cancer, saving lives, building better infrastructure, etc...?

Oh; I get it, this set of awesome skills only goes so far... in Everquest only.

Google up 1 trick pony while you're researching today.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Of course there is skill involved in playing EQ, but if you think the amount of skill required to play EQ is comparable to playing sports like basketball or volleyball, you are fucking insane. In fact when I originally wrote that sentence I was using the word 'elite', and then I realized it just didn't apply to EQ.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lmmfao at your elitist attitude over a friggin game.
Yes; my example was what every bard BUT YOU did... what a tool.
Where were you when we needed that extra squad in Tiger Beach?
Just go lay down, lol
Quote:
LOL, whatever dude; there's no way to talk to some people because they will never be wrong. More importantly tho; why waste all this time with such skill when you all could be doing something much more fulfilling like curing cancer, saving lives, building better infrastructure, etc...?

Oh; I get it, this set of awesome skills only goes so far... in Everquest only.

Google up 1 trick pony while you're researching today.
I stand corrected. I thought you just didn't understand our points before reading these two little posts you made.

Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a EQ nerd living in his mommy's basement not doing anything with their life playing an elf simulator? Good one.

Here's another one: you're immature and don't know how to discuss something with someone who disagrees with you without being a prick.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

"there's no way to talk to some people because they will never be wrong."

I mean, in this case, we're objectively correct. By every single actual definition of the word skill, this meets the qualifications.

"More importantly tho; why waste all this time with such skill when you all could be doing something much more fulfilling like curing cancer, saving lives, building better infrastructure, etc"

We all play the game because we enjoy it. Saying "why do you play everquest when you could be curing cancer" is probably one of the dumbest things i've ever heard on these forums. Why do *you* play this game(or post on the forums, for that matter), when *you* could be doing something much more fulfilling?

As for one trick pony?

Websters says its "one that is skilled in only one area".

Saying a skill you have is only applicable to one area is not the same as saying someone is only skilled in one area.

I have plenty of strong skills outside of video games, so by definition i'm most certainly not a one trick pony.

You took this very personal at some point. You need to relax.
Closed Thread