Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Large Rat

There was some serious balancing issues with pvp for a long while after launch. I remember playing an assassin character and having a 5, 10, or maybe it was a 20 minute cool down "assassinate" ability that I could use in pvp. It essentially would one shot anyone near my level.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Kobold

Everquest 2 was .. really just kind of shit. I liked the traitor aspect. I played an ogre warrior named Funeral that defected to the other side. Main tanked all of the initial content and several of the mobs didn't even have a loot table at the time.

Hated how mobs were locked to the person/group with 'FTE'.

Basically decided to try WoW after first couple months of EQ2 and that very day, it was obvious WoW was just so far superior. In less than 3 weeks, everyone from that guild (top guild on the server) moved to WoW and recreated our guild on there.

I mean we all shit on WoW now, but at the time it was very new innovative..and simple a lot more fun than EQ2.

I am sure they made a ton of changed to EQ2 since then, but the game play just wasn't fun. Would not go back.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Kobold

I LOVED the traitor gimmick. I had a Ratonga PAL called Pinto Pinto. Riding a light grey horse with shining silver armor.. with a dirty rat tail poking out. Loved it so much.

I also liked the gathering/super complicated tradeskill system, even though I never got far with it.

Everything else was pretty meh.

[Famalin Wisdomseed - High Elf Wizard - Quellious - 99 to 01]
Old 05-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Sarnak

Tried to give EQ2 a solid go, but unfortunately the lore wasn't enough to keep me playing. I loved what they did with the cities and different races, but the game was nearly unplayable for me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Fire Giant

Bump I appericate the support and thoughts in this thread sounds like its 50/50 some dont like the idea but some do

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

Eq2 is so bad. I have returned to “give it another chance” probably 10 or so times through the years. I always end up quitting in under a month and always for the exact same reason....

The actual act of playing the game is fucking boring. The gameplay concept was nearly identical to wow, but I enjoyed wow. I’m not sure exactly why logging in and advancing my character is just a total drag but it is.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 05-31-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Sarnak

I wouldn't say it's 50/50 Zekayy. I believe the consensus is quite clear. It would seem we all had high hopes for EQ2. It wasn't executed well. It was unfinished and likely rushed to compete with WoW. Blizzard did it better during that era of our EQ high.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 AM
Sarnak

I played it a lot and i think it had many nice things.
The Zones i liked a lot. Yeah, everything was very different then i was used to from EQ but it had potential to become a nice game.
Nektulos, Fallen Gate, Splitpaw.
All very beautiful.
But the dungeons had to much room and made it to easy to play there.
And yes, they tried to much to make it like Wow or other games. In fact, like all newer games are. They are to easy, to fast to play (not even time to chat with somebody during meditation), The world felt to small due way to fast traveling.
It was to much buttons to click, to much spells you can have all up, no CRs, no EXP-loss.
All the newer games have the same problems. They are way to easy, death has no consequences so people don't learn how to play their classes properly or its to much about optimizing with hundreds of skills an buttons.
EQ is easier to learn but harder to master, has a nice community and is slowed down. its more a RPG made from oldschool pen & paper players.
Other games have more the mechanic of Diablo. kill kill kill loot loot loot no downtime...

What else to say? I was remembering all those years back to EQ-experiences and now i am giving it a shot again. That tells everything i think (like i still play UO on a freeshard from time to time, still the best MMORPG next to EQ. (even if its complete different mechanics)

Thats makes me remember the noob comics. I so loved them.
Everybody who played EQ or UO should read them.

Asmodina - Level 39 Wizard << blue >>
Corvinia - Level 51 Druid << green >>
Old 06-01-2018, 01:52 AM
Planar Protector

The good bad about eq2:
The good:
EQ lore.
Wow era hand holding for quest, maps and so on...
The bad:
Not fun like wow.
No open world feeling like classic eq with all the quest logs, collections and such...

An interesting try, but not as good as eq and not as fun as wow, a fail attempt...
Vanguard was much more interesting attempt in my opinion
Old 06-01-2018, 04:08 AM
Kobold

I would only play if they reverted the graphics and sounds back to launch. It was so pleasing to spam regens with my warden and fury with the green rings and that deep bass-y wwwooooooaaaahhhhh sound. God I miss that.
Closed Thread